Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 22 Nov 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bluebell2go View Post
I've enjoyed all series but I've got a few misgivings about series 4. I think it's a bit disingenuous of the filmmakers to claim that it's just a drama not a documentary when they go to great lengths to recreate the sets, fashions of the day to the exact design, accents and mannerisms and intersperse the drama with historical footage. People have said they've learned about British history through it and they may assume personal details about the RF are also true when at times they are based on speculation or just fiction. There are some great one-line put downs, though.

I thought the Diana character was perfect, Charles was good but his posture was a bit too bowed and Gillian Anderson outThatchered Thatcher. Good but a bit overdone. Tobias Menzies was far better than Matt Smith who just played DoE as a big galoot.

The interaction between Charles and Diana was so bitter. I've no idea if it ever got as bad as portrayed, but, accurate or not, it must still be so painful to their sons who are no doubt still mourning their mother, especially with the whole Martin Bashir interview being brought up again. Seems a bit heartless to do that to two young men who never asked to join the RF.
I’ve often wondered how much of what we were fed through the media regarding Diana and Charles was actually true or not but this must be awful for the boys to watch. I know they have a choice whether to watch or not but I’m not sure I could ignore a drama about my family.
I’ll be honest, I kind of assumed the affairs were just unkind speculation but this certainly wasn’t the case in the dramatisation! That must be hard for them to see or even have brought up again.

I liked Olivia Colman’s portrayal much more this series and Gillian Anderson must have had a really sore throat after all that! 😆
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I really liked Diana but she was a poor match for Charles and the royal family who seemed to be pretty cold when it came to showing affection or care. Diana wore her heart on her sleeve which endeared her to the public on the whole who felt close to her compared to the rest of the Royal family. I love her for her caring especially for people with Aids and I feel she certainly helped put away a lot of the ignorance about it. Things may have been happier if Charles had married Camilla first however the 'Diana era' did bring a lot of change and we got William and Harry who are both very much like their Mother in their care and compassion.

Edited at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 02:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Well we stuck to our 1 episode a night to make it last longer and so now we’ve finished.

I felt sad a lot of the time watching this, Charles and Diana is an awful story, because we know how it ends and I think it made it quite hard viewing. I do think he was made out to be a villain, rightly or wrongly we will never know. I did have a few cries.

I’ve got nothing really to compare MT too, so I think she played the role well. Olivia Coleman and Helena Bonham Carter I loved. HBC was a brilliantly casting for Margaret for me.

Gutted it’s such a long wait for 5! I hope I like Imelda, I loved Claire and really liked Olivia, but on a personal level I’m not an Imelda fan, so I hope I warm to her. I will probably rewatch them all.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Only just started to watch the new series, finished episode 2 today. I never thought I would ever actually feel sorry for Maggie Thatcher !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Only just started to watch the new series, finished episode 2 today. I never thought I would ever actually feel sorry for Maggie Thatcher !
I certainly didn't.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
I certainly didn't.
I wouldn’t in “real life” and I’m only on the second episode ! The Royal family were really rude to her, didn’t advise her about clothes to take to Balmoral , what to do and what was that game all about ? ! Gillian Anderson’s portrayal is great so far.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I wouldn’t in “real life” and I’m only on the second episode ! The Royal family were really rude to her, didn’t advise her about clothes to take to Balmoral , what to do and what was that game all about ? ! Gillian Anderson’s portrayal is great so far.
Ah right as it goes on you won't like her, especially with regards to South Africa
Old 25 Nov 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh hell I actually identified with Thatcher over the being overdressed and having the wrong shoes, story of my life!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Oh hell I actually identified with Thatcher over the being overdressed and having the wrong shoes, story of my life!
As long as it is not the hair
Old 25 Nov 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Ironically growing up where she did and from old Grantham photos she was used to Hunter wellies, Barbour jackets and head squares so she would have known how to dress (that was a huge American slip up) together with tipping staff at Balmoral - her Grandmother was housekeeper at Belton House (and there lies another tale about who fathered her mother but thats another thread and she may well have royal blood in her as she knew (Lord Brownlow leant her Belton silver when she became Prime Minster as No 10 didnt have anything “suitable”) and there is no way Dennis would have offered a tip to servants - again that was for the American audience I am sure

Edited at 05:02 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List