Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 27 Nov 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Wine question!

We aren't really wine drinkers but we are wanting to buy some as part of Christmas gifts for family members. Sainsburys have one of the buy 6 get 25% off but I haven't got a clue!

Any recommendations of what to get? They have quite a lot of options, and we will probably pick them up when we go shopping tomorrow.

I'm sure some of you shop at Sainsbury's and buy wine

xx

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Oyster Bay Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is a lovely wine.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
White or red?
If you’re going for white, New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are much nicer than the Chilean ones IMO. Dry and crisp generally. Villa Maria do a great one.
If you prefer a less dry white, Chardonnay has has a bad press recently but is good if you go for the unoaked ones.
Red wines - light and fruity, maybe a Valpolicella, more body then a Primitivo (which is Zinfandel in the US). We like Italian reds rather than French and if you want a juicy heavy red then go for a South Australian Shiraz.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
White or red?
If you’re going for white, New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are much nicer than the Chilean ones IMO. Dry and crisp generally. Villa Maria do a great one.
If you prefer a less dry white, Chardonnay has has a bad press recently but is good if you go for the unoaked ones.
Red wines - light and fruity, maybe a Valpolicella, more body then a Primitivo (which is Zinfandel in the US). We like Italian reds rather than French and if you want a juicy heavy red then go for a South Australian Shiraz.
Probably a mix, I think i'll write a quick list of what to look out for. x

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
Probably a mix, I think i'll write a quick list of what to look out for. x
It's a bit of a minefield without knowing their tastes.

I like dry white and heavy reds, so whilst a nice Sauvignon Blanc would be well received, if you bought me a Chardonnay, I'd be keeping to give to someone else!

Maybe go for something sparkling as most people like a drop of fizz. Taking a quick look at Sainsbury's site, this Freixenet Prosecco comes in a lovely bottle which might make for a nice gift > sainsburys/gol-ui/...-prosecco-75cl

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

New Zealand savignon blanc ..white
Italian frascati ...white
Argentinian malbec ..red
Spanish Rioja ..red
These are my favourites
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc
Oyster Bay

Only buy white so no idea on red
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Really helpful, thanks everyone. Good to have a bit of a recommendation I don't want to over think it, but otherwise DH will just pick up 6 bottles of the same which is a bit boring! lol

Old 27 Nov 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

May get the Villa Maria, haha only because i'm called Maria

Old 27 Nov 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Sadly it's not on offer at the moment but the best NZ Sauvignon Blanc I have had is Mud House. £9 a bottle but does drop to circa £6

Brancott Estate is also good which reminds me I only have 8 bottles left.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List