Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 18, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Am I over reacting

We have been having our version of Come dine with me dinner parties. Group of 7.
My turn was last night. I went to a huge effort. Spent the whole day cleaning and prepping. Everyone turned up late by 35 mins.
I paid £100 for a beef tenderloin and it was wasted as it ended up overcooked.
I had timed everything to be ready, just to go, as we had an agreed time for dinner to be served.
They didn't even have a good excuse. They said they were "getting thier wardrobe sorted"
No one has been late to any of the other dinners. I feel like they just couldn't be bothered.
Anyway I was really mad. I've never in my life been rude to people but I felt like slamming the door in thier faces.
I ended up telling them that my dinner was ruined coz they were so late. I made a joke out of it and said they conspired to ruin mine as it was too much competition.
I think they could sense I was annoyed at them though coz I was angry.
Today I feel worse. I wish I had just told them all to go home. Am I over reacting?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I really hate people being late, its a real bug bear of mine, if I have a lot of people coming, I always allow a good half an hour just for arriving, drinks, chat etc before serving anything up, and anything that requires accurate timing for cooking would do once they all there. I have been in this situation many a sunday with my family turning up late for roast dinner, and then am in a foul mood with them all so I completely feel your pain!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I can understand why you are annoyed, but you are perhaps over reacting slightly as people are often late and you had it ready to eat assuming they would be on time.

It's only a bit of fun (albeit an expensive bit of fun), so even if you don't win none of your guests can accuse you of undercooking your beef👍.

Edited at 01:11 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I would have served it up on time and left it on the table. I can't stand people being late either. But surely you asked them to turn up "7:30 for dinner at 8" or similar?
Nobody is ever late for dinner with me because they know what will happen ha ha
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I would have served it up on time and left it on the table. I can't stand people being late either. But surely you asked them to turn up "7:30 for dinner at 8" or similar?
Nobody is ever late for dinner with me because they know what will happen ha ha

Yes. It was done in a formal invite. Part of the game. We had all agreed on set time for dinner.
We all turned up at the others in enough time to be settled before dinner.
I think half my problem is because I am never late. If I am invited for a certain time I will be there at that time.
I understand things happen, but the excuse they gave was ridiculous to me.
Old 19 Oct 18, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

No, I don’t think you are over reacting- their inconsiderate behaviour spoiled the evening and was disrespectful to you and the effort you made on their behalf.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post

I do not like lateness and would be irritated, probably very irritated if I was waiting in a restaurant. But I wouldn't be massively annoyed here, people sometimes are a bit late for house dinners. I would have built the slack into my cooking time to allow for late comers.
Old 19 Oct 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post

One of the worse insults you could ever pay anyone is to arrive late for dinner.

The fact that everyone was thirty-five minutes late actually sounds suspicious to me, in the real world what are the chances of that happening?
Old 19 Oct 18, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cuxi View Post
One of the worse insults you could ever pay anyone is to arrive late for dinner.

The fact that everyone was thirty-five minutes late actually sounds suspicious to me, in the real world what are the chances of that happening?
This is what I thought. Usually there is a latecomer. But all of them?
Made me feel like nobody wanted to be there.
Old 19 Oct 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I will admit to quite often being late. If I have people round for a meal I would always ask them to come half an hour before I planned on serving the meal. We have one set of friends who like us will be late, another who will turn up really early which to be honest I find more annoying than the late ones. I am usually still in the bath or something !
As this was a work/school night dinner party maybe this contributed too.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List