Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Mosquito repellent

I react really bad to bites. They swell insanely, go red hot, swell and blister plus I start to feel unwell (the latter part could be in my mind though)
I take antihistamines everyday anyway due to all my allergies and when I am in holiday I use the Avon skin so soft - I actually love this anyway because it smells nice and leaves your skin soft (I spray this on top of my sun cream)
I also spray jungle formula around my ankles and lower leg - I don’t stray it higher up because it smells horrific.
For after care I use hydrocortisone cream and anthisan cream.
But I still get bitten (not as much as if I don’t use anything) and I still have a bad reaction.

I am thinking of adding a few drops of citronella oil to my skin so soft spray. What do you think?

I am just browsing amazon and seen a couple of items and wonder if anyone has used them? Are they any good or just gimmicks?

Zap it for after a bite

And these bracelets

If you have any other hints it tips they are greatly appreciated
They are for Florida. For some reason I am more effected at bush gardens so I would rather wear this when at that park
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

I used citronella oil last time and got no bites. I added a few drops to my suntan lotion. It was quite stinky though.

A consultant once told me the best thing for mosquito bites is bethapan nappy cream...
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
I used citronella oil last time and got no bites. I added a few drops to my suntan lotion. It was quite stinky though.

A consultant once told me the best thing for mosquito bites is bethapan nappy cream...
I am funny with smells. Does citronella not smell nice?

I am sure I had that for my little one when he was a baby lol worth a try
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I am funny with smells. Does citronella not smell nice?

I am sure I had that for my little one when he was a baby lol worth a try
Its not a pleasant smell but I think I went overboard with the number of drops. The smell did fade after a few hours. Maybe just put 2 or 3 drops in, I put in about 7 to be sure but didn't realise how much the smell would linger or maybe just put in on your legs.
I think Holland and Barrett have buy one item get one for 1p at the moment thats where I got the oil.
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

we swear by avon skin so soft

14 days in the far east got bitten once (as in one bite) the first day i didnt wear any

between 3 of us this was the only bite in 2 weeks
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post

14 days in the far east got bitten once (as in one bite) the first day i didnt wear any

I wouldn’t trust that in a dengue area! It’s ok for nuisance bites but not for Dengue which is prevalent in many areas in Asia.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

I feel your pain and wish I could find a magical 'thing' to keep the bites at bay.

I ended up with cellulitis after a bout a couple of years ago. I've never known pain like it. My feet and ankles were so swollen I couldn't flex them

I was bitten terribly on holiday last year too and was paranoid about them making me ill again. Plus they are just so bloody ugly :/

I've recently found out that if you're blood type O you're more or less out of luck as it's a mosquito's favourite blood. I would gladly take any advice to prove that theory wrong.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

I’ve never used it, but I have bookmarked “OFF, DEEP WOODS” as being recommended on here many times. Pricey to buy from Amazon, but available in Walmart etc once you arrive.

That zap-it relief pen was recommended by someone on my first aid kit thread but I’ve not used it x

amazon/Johnson-Inc...96&s=drugstore
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post

I do use this and I love the smell but it doesn’t prevent bites for me unfortunately 😩
Old 18 Feb 20, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Mobile

As horrible as it smells jungle formula is best for me.

Use the spray one and spray it on outside not indoors as it affects breathing if sprayed on in a small and restricted area.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List