Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Talking Funny names - places, food, people

So, following on from another thread about a very serious subject, which started a few posts on strange or funny names, I thought it would be a bit of light relief to create a thread of it's own

I particularly like the Far Eastern translations of menu items, odd business name spelling and of course, people's names

I'll start...A person I used to work with had a surname of Whatmuff. I suppose it's something to do with those fur hand warmers that I had as a child in the 70's? I still can't believe that it was actually her real name! the best thing is that our department's emails come through surname first so every time that popped up in my mailbox entertained me no end lol Surely you'd change your name?!

I'm sure this is familiar to most of you...reading Boma menu last night...FuFu tickled me no end that one
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I worked with a Wayne Scott, and I used to have a mental image of wood-panelled walls (wainscotting).

A man in our Kuala Lumpur office who I met on a course had only one name ‘Tan’. I never managed to find out if it was his first name or surname, but apparently it was the only name on his birth certificate.

Edited at 01:14 PM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I bought some lovely pyjamas from a shop in Dublin called Brown Thomas. My dad has a very old fashioned sense of humour and thought that was funny! A tannoy announcement at Heathrow asking for Mr Cack almost finished him off!

I worked in a pharmacy and we had some funny names (not going to share due to confidentiality). I would check the prescription and then hand to a dispenser and innocently ask them to hand it out for me
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunseeker100 View Post
I'm sure this is familiar to most of you...reading Boma menu last night...FuFu tickled me no end that one
Oh dearie me - I know what I call FuFu and it is highly unlikely to be on the menu at Boma!

We are big fans of F1 and were watching the Monza race the other day, and every time the drivers approached the corner called Parabolica I sniggered in a really childish manner. Hubby just rolls his eyes ...

I found out the other day that a guy at work whom I've always just called Jack, is actually called Jack Kennedy. I wanted to ask him how the rest of his family were doing and had they ever been to Chappaquiddick? I am so purile ...
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I bought some lovely pyjamas from a shop in Dublin called Brown Thomas. My dad has a very old fashioned sense of humour and thought that was funny! A tannoy announcement at Heathrow asking for Mr Cack almost finished him off!

I worked in a pharmacy and we had some funny names (not going to share due to confidentiality). I would check the prescription and then hand to a dispenser and innocently ask them to hand it out for me
I worked in a pharmacy too as a dispenser, saw some great names
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
I shared this on other thread but for those who didn't see it the one that cracks me up the most which isn't cheeky or rude but makes me smile even just thinking about it is a customer I had called sidebottom and I went to give her her prescription saying her name, she snatched it from me and said do you mind it's pronounced sid-e-bot-home, very hyacinth bucket like. I also had a couple come in whose surnames were parsley and onions, I hope they married and got a double barrelled name😂😂,
My OH regularly contacts someone in Malaysia for his work and her name is fanny tang, he also used to work with a Bob Barr which said fast is what as a child I called poop. There's more but some are too near the knuckle for on here 😯

Edited at 01:45 PM.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by sunseeker100 View Post
So, following on from another thread about a very serious subject, which started a few posts on strange or funny names, I thought it would be a bit of light relief to create a thread of it's own

I particularly like the Far Eastern translations of menu items, odd business name spelling and of course, people's names

I'll start...A person I used to work with had a surname of Whatmuff. I suppose it's something to do with those fur hand warmers that I had as a child in the 70's? I still can't believe that it was actually her real name! the best thing is that our department's emails come through surname first so every time that popped up in my mailbox entertained me no end lol Surely you'd change your name?!

The food on the Boma menu you mentioned sounds like something eaten on a Bushtucker trial 😂😂😂
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

We once ate a deli in NY called Mrs Friggins Kitchen
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
We once ate a deli in NY called Mrs Friggins Kitchen
Haha 😂😂😂
Old 14 Sep 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Haha 😂😂😂
We were with an NYPD Lieutenant who had been assigned to us and he said it was really popular with all the cops at 1 Police Plaza.

When we explained to him what it meant in UK speak, he was a bit aghast and said he wasn't sure he'd eat there ever again!
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List