Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Nov 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Building and contents insurance.

Roughly how much do you pay and who with please?
We were with Aviva paying £19 Per month combined for nothing ,
They are increasing to £22 a month . Despite no claims.
Hubby has searched and found Halifax coming in at £12 per month. I’m sure that’s so low.

We live in a 3 bed house 14 year old.
Just a rough idea please?

Edited at 09:40 AM.
scottishmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I can't comment on the cost, but be careful who you go with because it might be cheap for a reason, with limited cover and large excesses. We could get our building and contents cheaper, but we pay more to have a good level of cover.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

I was with LV for last year £200 this year £250. Went on several comparison sites and eventually booked with Tesco bank via Money supermarket for £156 as they had 25% discount. Virtually the same cover (plus clubcard points).
Money saving expert recommends try all the comparison sites plus Aviva and Direct Line.
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

I've just renewed mine, it was £276 (£23 per month) for buildings and contents. Halifax was one of the lowest on compare the market, but when I went through to the Halifax website it was a very basic level of cover, when I changed it to the same level of cover as my provider, the price went up to about £400.
I only checked a couple of insurance companies, but they couldn't get anywhere near my renewal price for the same level of cover.
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
saffy202
Apprentice Imagineer

Have you rang Aviva? I am with Admiral and when I rang to say I wanted to leave as I found cheaper they reduced my premium back down.
Old 14 Nov 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
£85 a year for a 2 bed 100 year old terrace. We're in Warrington
Old 14 Nov 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

We are with Privilege on their platinum plan and have been for a few years. Can't get the same cover for the same price anywhere. We had a claim in 2017 and the premium didn't change. This year it's less than we have ever paid
Old 14 Nov 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I can't comment on the cost, but be careful who you go with because it might be cheap for a reason, with limited cover and large excesses. We could get our building and contents cheaper, but we pay more to have a good level of cover.
Absolutely agree, check what you are covered for you never know when and what you will need it for, make sure you have a really good level of cover.

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The huge increase in costs is when you add on all risks for property outside the house.
For example rings and watches.
Nowadays a lot of people don't appreciate how expensive what they are wearing on their fingers and wrist can be. Plus some companies have a very small limit even if they do offer all risks as standard.
No good having a £2k limit if 3 of the traditional rings Ladies wear are worth £3k plus.

They can and do refuse to cover losses if you are under insured

I pay £519 per annum via M & S for buildings and contents with unlimited cover, accidental damage, new for old and legal expenses. Plus the add on of enhanced all risks. The latter is what bumped it up.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 02:34 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Privilege Platinum house and contents just renewed with them again for £264, had gone up by £2 since last year. Never had to make a claim, the Platinum also includes Family legal protection worth extra £17.

6 bed house, 16 years old detached house, excess is £250
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List