Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 20 Oct 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Which resort for one bed that sleeps 5

Hi
I’m hoping to book a 1 bed for 3 nights next October, there will be 4 of us, but want sleeping surface for a 5th person to avoid kids sharing a bed.

Not sure what chances are at 7 months to switch, but if you could choose ‘any’ DVC 1 bed which would it be? I’m planning booking a studio at boardwalk for 9 nights at the 11 month so won’t be too heavy on points, so it’s going to be a bit of a treat and we ‘might’ pay for the dining plan for the 3 nights if we get it booked.

Staying on site at universal for first 5 nights in a value hotel, which is very reasonable.

We’ve stayed at boardwalk, SSR and Old Key West before.

Thanks in advance
MrsBrown is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

I’d go for AKL Kidani as it has 5 sleeping spaces and a 2nd bathroom and is usually easy to get at 7 months.

BLT also has a second bathroom
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Alices Aunt View Post
I’d go for AKL Kidani as it has 5 sleeping spaces and a 2nd bathroom and is usually easy to get at 7 months.

BLT also has a second bathroom
Thank you - I’d like BLT but not sure how easy to get. Also like the idea of grand Floridian, but maybe too fancy?
MrsBrown is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

The GF is lovely. It sleeps 5 in a 1 bed as well. Just never through if it as it’s more points than we have to spare.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Because we are going to stay in the studio for last 6 nights (and at universal for 5 nights) we can use a few more points for the 3 nights in between, otheRwise I’d possibly not have considered grand Floridian.

QUOTE=Alices Aunt;14135456]The GF is lovely. It sleeps 5 in a 1 bed as well. Just never through if it as it’s more points than we have to spare.[/QUOTE]
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Saratoga, once the refurb is done, has the extra bed in the 1 bed, and the refurbed rooms, as videos posted on here, are some of the best on property. If they do all the preferred first, by next October you should guarantee a refurbed room if booking preferred. Also has the Murphy sofa, much better and comfier than a sofa sleeper.
Grand Floridian- v nice but v points intensive.
BLT- you should get a 1 bed at any of the properties as long as you are on at exactly 7 months, great 1 beds here, but again quite points intensive.
OKW- great space, but not done out to the quality of Saratoga refurb.
AK- decent, the Kidani 1 beds are large with the 2 baths, but I don’t like the fact you can’t walk anywhere.
Riviera- unknown quantity but looks nice. However getting standard view may be tricky, so could be very points intensive like VGF.
Old 21 Oct 19, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Saratoga, once the refurb is done, has the extra bed in the 1 bed, and the refurbed rooms, as videos posted on here, are some of the best on property. If they do all the preferred first, by next October you should guarantee a refurbed room if booking preferred. Also has the Murphy sofa, much better and comfier than a sofa sleeper.
Grand Floridian- v nice but v points intensive.
BLT- you should get a 1 bed at any of the properties as long as you are on at exactly 7 months, great 1 beds here, but again quite points intensive.
OKW- great space, but not done out to the quality of Saratoga refurb.
AK- decent, the Kidani 1 beds are large with the 2 baths, but I don’t like the fact you can’t walk anywhere.
Riviera- unknown quantity but looks nice. However getting standard view may be tricky, so could be very points intensive like VGF.
Thanks, yes SSR looks nice with the refurb. If I log in at exactly 7 months, can I switch all 3 nights? Always wanted to stay at bay lake tower, but if the 3 nights fall on MnSSHP then it could be a waste if MK shuts early. Part of benefit staying there could be walking back after fireworks.
Old 21 Oct 19, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
Thanks, yes SSR looks nice with the refurb. If I log in at exactly 7 months, can I switch all 3 nights? Always wanted to stay at bay lake tower, but if the 3 nights fall on MnSSHP then it could be a waste if MK shuts early. Part of benefit staying there could be walking back after fireworks.
Yeah in a 1 bed you'll get Saratoga preferred (in fact most resorts) no problem at 7 months. Saratoga is one of the easier ones. Bay Lake is one of the harder ones, (I find it harder than Boardwalk or Beach Club) but you'll usually get a 1 bed lake view there at 1pm exactly 7 months out. I got one for New Year which is the busiest time there due to fireworks but I may have got lucky with that.

Edit - from looking at your original post I'm not sure if you are saying you will book a longer period in DVC and just switch part of it at 7 months? Maybe you are not, but if you are be careful as you cannot amend (switch) only part of a stay.

So if you are doing that (a split DVC stay), with 9 nights booked Boardwalk and only switching 3, book your original nights in 2 separate tranches as 2 bookings and also in different names so they don't auto merge them (you can go back and put the proper names on at any time). So you'll book 6 nights at Boardwalk in the studio then wait 6 nights at your 11 month window and then book 3 nights seperately.

Then you can just go online and amend the second booking at 7 months to the new property, leaving the first booking intact. If it transpires you don't amend the second booking and decide not to switch that 3 nights, just put all the names the same on both bookings before contacting DVC and asking they be merged into one.

If you booked it all as one at 11 months, and only wanted to change 3 days you'd have to cancel the whole lot at 7 months and do 2 separate bookings- not good.as your Boardwalk studio could disappear to a wait list or stalker as soon as you cancel it.

Edited at 09:34 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you Yorkshire T, I phoned DVC on Saturday to specifically ask this and the woman I spoke to said I could amend it, although I didn.t have much confidence in her. So I need to book 2 reservations, on the assumption I might change one to a 3 night stay else where. I ‘plan’ on staying DVC for 9 nights as have 5 nights at Universal booked. Is it straightforward having 2 bookings back to back?
Thanks again
Old 21 Oct 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
Thank you Yorkshire T, I phoned DVC on Saturday to specifically ask this and the woman I spoke to said I could amend it, although I didn.t have much confidence in her. So I need to book 2 reservations, on the assumption I might change one to a 3 night stay else where. I ‘plan’ on staying DVC for 9 nights as have 5 nights at Universal booked. Is it straightforward having 2 bookings back to back?
Thanks again
Yep you definately need the 2 bookings. So book 2 back to back (you will have to wait 6 days from the first until you can book the final 3 nights if you are right on the 11 month window.) As I said, make sure you don't put the same guests at this stage in the same name- as believe it or not, some 'helpful' soul at DVC often merges them into one. I put myself and my daughter on one, my wife and son on another.
Then at 1pm UK time, exactly 7 months out of the second stay (also gives you an hour head start on those ringing in), go on it and click to modify your booking (making sure obviously you are modifying the second one). Then do a search and you can select your new resort. It will give you the option of which contract to take the extra points from if you have more than one, or to borrow if you need to. Then click confirm, and then there is no risk of you losing your Boardwalk 3 nights and not getting your new resort as the system holds the first one until the second one is confirmed.
I just did this exact technique myself for my Xmas stay at Beach Club then BLT. I knew I wanted to split and move on the 26/12 so I booked 20- 26 in Saratoga, then another 26-31 in Saratoga. Then I actually altered both of them in this manner to switch at 7 months- to BCV and BLT, 7 months out of each start date.
You may have used the system before online but if not I always recommend going on and making a dummy booking (making sure you wont have to borrow points and its far enough ahead but not past your cancellation window so when you cancel the dummy the points will not go into holding) and having a go at amending it as well, so you get used to the system. That was what I did anyway when the new system came in.
When they are all booked at 7 months you can then just go back in and amend the guests, putting you all on both bookings. As I say if you do not amend the second booking and stay at Boardwalk, just put all the names the same and ring them up then and ask them to merge the bookings.

Edited at 07:54 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List