Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Oct 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Jersey ?

Next August our daughter is away with school for 8 days and we are looking at our first couples holiday for over 20 years.
I had hoped for a cruise from Southampton but the dates are just not working for us. Med holidays seem so expensive for 2020 and we are restricted with our dates and time of return.

So to the point ... Just had a look at Jersey as it is somewhere we have never been. I fancy a short, cheap flight, a bit of luxury and nice food. Any suggestions please- hotel, area ? Please no one be offended but is it for older people ? My grandparents used to holiday there and so I have it in mind it is for older folk ! We are a couple in our 50’s but don’t quite see us as older folk yet !

Thank you so much for any replies.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We went last year for their airshow.
We went Monday to Friday, flew with Easyjet and flights were about £30 each
We stayed in a hotel in St Helier which was walkable to the town and seafront areas, I would say 80% of hotel guests were on coach holidays, so in general, older people, which there seem to be a lot of in the area. Not a problem with that at all, at least it was quiet.

In our week we visited the zoo, the German war tunnels, drove round the island a couple of times, some amazing views to be found, and went to the airshow. Also we went on a boat trip out to the Ecrehous islands (near France). We really enjoyed that.
Plenty to do for 5 days.

I'd consider going back again, but definitely tie it in with the airshow again.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
We went last year for their airshow.
We went Monday to Friday, flew with Easyjet and flights were about £30 each
We stayed in a hotel in St Helier which was walkable to the town and seafront areas, I would say 80% of hotel guests were on coach holidays, so in general, older people, which there seem to be a lot of in the area. Not a problem with that at all, at least it was quiet.

In our week we visited the zoo, the German war tunnels, drove round the island a couple of times, some amazing views to be found, and went to the airshow. Also we went on a boat trip out to the Ecrehous islands (near France). We really enjoyed that.
Plenty to do for 5 days.

I'd consider going back again, but definitely tie it in with the airshow again.
Thank you so much. Just checked and unfortunately our dates don’t tie in with the air show. The flights from Liverpool were similar, about £100 for the 2 of us, leaving a decent budget to stay in a better standard hotel.
At least it is an option to think of, like the idea of a day trip to France too.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
They do trips to other Channel Islands on big ferrys, ours was a small rib boat, where we hurtled out to these uninhabited islands, for a couple of hours of serenity. There are houses on the islands but you arent allowed to live there, but there was a lot of people there swimming etc. Then we went to the seal sanctuary before whooshing back.
Very enjoyable
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

I'm from Jersey originally so will help if I can. I haven't lived there for 20+ years but go back once or twice a year.

I'm probably biased but it would be a lovely place for a couples holiday. There are plenty of historical sites to visit, walks around the coast and fab places to eat. We've also done a couple of the boat trips described above - they're great fun and a good way to get a different view of the island. You can also take day trips to St Malo and the other Channel Islands.

We stay with family when we visit so don't have much experience of hotels but, if they're in your budget, the L'Horizon and St Brelades Bay hotel are very nice and right on the beach.

I would recommend you look at hiring a car as well.
HFJohnson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post

We went last Easter for a week or so. Similar ages to yourself. Some fab views, some amazing rugged walks and things to see and do.

Had a car and beetled about. We had a holiday cottage rather than a hotel room, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edited at 08:49 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by HFJohnson View Post
I'm from Jersey originally so will help if I can. I haven't lived there for 20+ years but go back once or twice a year.

I'm probably biased but it would be a lovely place for a couples holiday. There are plenty of historical sites to visit, walks around the coast and fab places to eat. We've also done a couple of the boat trips described above - they're great fun and a good way to get a different view of the island. You can also take day trips to St Malo and the other Channel Islands.

We stay with family when we visit so don't have much experience of hotels but, if they're in your budget, the L'Horizon and St Brelades Bay hotel are very nice and right on the beach.

I would recommend you look at hiring a car as well.
Thank you so much. Those hotels do look beautiful!
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
We went last Easter for a week or so. Similar ages to yourself. Some fab views, some amazing rugged walks and things to see and do.

Had a car and beetled about. We had a holiday cottage rather than a hotel room, but thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thank you. I hadn’t even thought of a cottage. I will take look.
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Thank you. I hadn’t even thought of a cottage. I will take look.
The ones we stayed at were in the country. Le hurel or similar. Very nice.

Macoles and freedom are the two main holiday lettings people.

We liked the countryside freedom, but it was a drive to everywhere, but nowhere was far...

Edited at 09:01 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Love Jersey, first started holidaying there 40+ years ago, over the years it’s changed but i feel for the best (from a holidaying and foodie perspective).

I love the St Brelade area, L’Horizon is lovely but I don’t pay rack rate (very expensive and hotel doesn’t merit the rack rate), St Brelade Bay hotel is also very nice. I also like St Aubin and have stayed at the Somerville overlooking the harbour.
Total luxury is Longueville Manor (service is faultless) but it’s off a main road so location isn’t great.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List