Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Nov 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by minnie29 View Post
Did you have to pay extra for them to go in the hold? And was your case about medium size?
If the airline offers (or insists) to check your hand luggage, there will be no charge as long as it is within the airline’s published size and weight limits for hand luggage (though BA rarely weighs, since very few size-compliant cabin bags are overweight).

You can’t really talk about small, medium etc for this, hand luggage size limits are always clearly defined measurements, BA’s limits are what I posted above in post number 9.

If flying with multiple carriers, you should work to the one with the lower allowance. This can be a bit irritating when flying BA/AA connections, because AA has a smaller size limit for the larger piece.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
If the airline offers (or insists) to check your hand luggage, there will be no charge as long as it is within the airline’s published size and weight limits for hand luggage (though BA rarely weighs, since very few size-compliant cabin bags are overweight).

You can’t really talk about small, medium etc for this, hand luggage size limits are always clearly defined measurements, BA’s limits are what I posted above in post number 9.

If flying with multiple carriers, you should work to the one with the lower allowance. This can be a bit irritating when flying BA/AA connections, because AA has a smaller size limit for the larger piece.
Thanks - we are flying direct both ways with BA
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks for the confirmation Peko, there was a bit of a discussion on this on a recent thread and I got the impression rules had changed in some way.

But I always trust you as the absolute BA guru on here so will comply with your advice instead!

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1147840
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
making49
Imagineer

making49's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Did you have to pay extra for them to go in the hold? And was your case about medium size?
Hi, the cases were within BA limits size wise, we were asked not "told". There was no charge.
Old 30 Nov 19, 03:38 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
If not mentioned already, make sure when you measure you’re including wheels and handles. Yes it is generous, but still smaller than most peoples checked baggage.

britishairways/en-gb...age-allowances

‘1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)

plus

1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)’

Edit to add official BA link
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;

Edited at 03:48 AM.
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 03:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I'm 5ft on a good day in heels I struggle to put a paper bag up in the lockers I pack everything in big big ziplock bags uses them many multiple times and if I have to empty the case for the over head then stand on the seat and put it up then chuck it allback in and imalways have a window seat so I'm ok first and yes I wait till I can get it back down without holding any body up and yes my cabin bag always conforms to the particular airlines standard
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

I’m not doing the Dopey, my husband is. I can’t wait for those medals to go on our wall though
Oh yes thats right, I am remember your other thread!
Old 6 Dec 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Thanks for that Peko. I had always thought that you got the allowance with the Airline you booked with, in the case of codeshare flights say with one leg each BA and AA for example.
So it is now the smaller allowance?
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Whilst a devoted hand baggage only traveller, just be aware of one thing...

Not all ‘Hand baggage sized’ suitcases are in fact, universally compliant.

I bought a very nice ‘Radley’ hand baggage suitcase a couple of years back and it was not cheap. When the good lady wanted to use it on our vacation this year, it was a couple of CM too wide for 2 out of the 3 airlines that we were using.. Can’t remember which two of American Eagle, Delta and Norwegian.

It is thus, useless to us and we had to buy a new suitcase.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Thanks for that Peko. I had always thought that you got the allowance with the Airline you booked with, in the case of codeshare flights say with one leg each BA and AA for example.
So it is now the smaller allowance?
The rules are different for checked baggage and hand baggage. For flights to/from the US, the “first marketing carrier” rule applies for checked bags, so if the first flight on a mixed carrier itinerary was booked on a BA flight number, BA decides the checked bag allowance for the whole itinerary.

For hand luggage, it is always the allowance of the operating carrier for each sector, so to be compliant you have to work to the rules of the airline with the most restrictive allowance within the itinerary.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List