Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Dec 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post

I would rather do the 4am check in than only have an hour to change. It is a huge airport and I would be just as worried about my bags not making it as me not making it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

4am definitely

Your flight could be delayed landing due to weather which has happened to me a few time’s at Amsterdam (oft fog). And as others have said the terminal is large and you will prob be based from plane to terminal - even if you made it (just as they start boarding C1 he before departure and close doors around 20 mins before departure) your luggage won’t
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

1hr is OK provided your flight to Schiphol is on time, however if you have a delay then it will become stressful and even if you make it your luggage probably will not.

You do not need to go through security again at Schiphol just go straight to the departing gate.

I would be going for the earlier flight as I prefer to be relaxed !
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm doing CWL - AMS - MCO Sept 9th next year and just had that change too. Tweeted Air France and they said that 1hr 15 in AMS is enough connection time and they wouldn't accommodate moving us to the earlier flight. Not happy but as we're booked on one ticket they have a duty to get us to MCO and if we miss that connection there are, looking at skyscanner, options to get us to MCO arriving that day. Thankfully we already planned on having a very lazy first day because of doing indirect so if we ended up arriving at midnight we would be ok and it wouldn't wreck any plans. still not impressed to have that stress hanging over us for the next 10 months!

Edited at 01:30 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 3 Dec 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
It is doable but tight.
That bus to the terminal is annoying and slow.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post

I just called Air France, wasn't happy reading the comments on this thread about the times so was essentially being fobbed off on Twitter. They've changed us to the 6.05 from CWL as the connection time was reduced by the airline. If it goes back up again and we want to change we'd have to pay. An early start but worth it for peace of mind!

Edited at 02:10 PM.
Old 3 Dec 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymummy
VIP Dibber

disneymummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I’ve just done a similar thing. Our flight times via Dublin had been changed meaning we had just under 2 hours. Just managed to change to an earlier flight to lengthen the layover.

Please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

I Drive 1990, 1992, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2004
POFQ 2007, 2012, 2015 & 2020
Old Key West 2014.
Yacht Club August 2017 & 2022
Walt Disney Dolphin 2024

New York 2000, Las Vegas 2003
disneymummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSevSpaghetti
Getting Excited

Mobile

Unfortunately my husband is refusing to get the earlier flight.
He will probably be at work until very late the night before so a 4am book in does not appeal at all (we live about 30 minutes away from airport so would need to be up by 2am)

I’m gutted as it was all planned so well!
MrsSevSpaghetti is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

You dont really have an hour, you have less. The ticket time is the taxi/runway time, so boarding will be 30-45 minutes prior to this for long haul and gate will close around 15 minutes before departure. So you have 45 minutes max.

Now remember after landing you have to disembark, so if you are near the rear of the craft, add 10 minutes. Its then a 10-15 minute walk between gates.
Add into this any delays in the UK, then you have missed your flight.

I would not be doing this short transfer without a lot of panic and anxiety.

I would then be worrying if this would be enough time for the airport staff to remove all the hold luggage, for it to pass through security/scanners and tag readers to make its way to the next aircraft, without you ever seeing it.

If you do go for this short change over, ensure you have your first day clothes and night stuff in your hand luggage. We always do as an emergency anyway.

If you miss the connecting flight, what would be the next departure MCO? As I dont think Amsterdam have flights everyday there.

I would be asking for a refund and book elsewhere if you cant do the earlier flight out.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL

Edited at 12:30 PM.
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
You dont really have an hour, you have less. The ticket time is the taxi/runway time, so boarding will be 30-45 minutes prior to this for long haul and gate will close around 15 minutes before departure. So you have 45 minutes max.

Now remember after landing you have to disembark, so if you are near the rear of the craft, add 10 minutes. Its then a 10-15 minute walk between gates.
Add into this any delays in the UK, then you have missed your flight.

I would not be doing this short transfer without a lot of panic and anxiety.

I would then be worrying if this would be enough time for the airport staff to remove all the hold luggage, for it to pass through security/scanners and tag readers to make its way to the next aircraft, without you ever seeing it.

If you do go for this short change over, ensure you have your first day clothes and night stuff in your hand luggage. We always do as an emergency anyway.

If you miss the connecting flight, what would be the next departure MCO? As I dont think Amsterdam have flights everyday there.

I would be asking for a refund and book elsewhere if you cant do the earlier flight out.
Agree with this, I would rather change plans entirely that have such a short connection time in such a bit airport.