Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Dec 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AtLast View Post
I figured, that's why I added that most people would be astonished not just the Americans because you made it sound like this was a 'normal' British lifestyle and only Americans would be astonished. I think 95% of people everywhere would think 'wow' about your schedule.

I think it's great btw that you're living well and enjoying the fruits of your labour. I also agree that people should make the most of their health because there's no guarantees so please don't think I'm being negative towards you or anything like that. I'd loive to be able to do the same, someday - fingers crossed. But yeah I think making it seem like very many Brits are living like this will get more than a few gasps of shock
Some of our US friends are amazed we can have 3 weeks off, let alone more 2 week holidays as well
Other US friends sympathise that we have to go home after ‘only’ 2 or 3 weeks as they’re there for 6 weeks, 2 months, 3 months etc; yes, they’re the retirees 😎

Edited at 06:16 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
We don't do Disney or Orlando on our Florida trips; we do the Gulf Coast so no Disney/Universal/SW tickets etc.
Oh, apologies. This was a thread on the price difference between Disney UK and Disney US and discussing the differences that Americans have visiting Disney (only spending at most a week there) and the costs accrued compared to Brits visiting Disney (who typically buy 2 week Disney tickets) and how much it costs us.

When you said you were "there" for 3 weeks, have already been over for 2 weeks earlier in the year, and will be back for another 2 weeks later in the year I therefore assumed you were at Disney. Or at least in Orlando.

I typically start each year with 37 days annual leave...
Which is more than most people get. A lot of people get around 28 days leave in total including bank holidays - so 20 days of leave not including bank holidays. Many don't accrue any additional days of leave.

Not including bank holidays, I have 31 days of annual leave, and I bought 4 extra days of leave (so, 27 normal + 4 + bank holidays). That's more than most. I don't get any extra if I work additional days.

And most of my annual leave is not spent going on holidays. Often I only spend 2 or 3 weeks per year on holiday - and of that I might spend 1 or 2 weeks on a holiday abroad.

Only 60% of Brits have holidays abroad. Those that do have on average 1.9 trips abroad and spend a total of 9.8 nights abroad. The vast majority of those trips are short haul flights to Europe. The vast majority of Brits (>99%) do not spend anywhere close to 7 or 8 weeks abroad in long haul destinations each year.

As long-time frequent renters of the condo we stay in at the Gulf Coast, the owner gives us fabulous discounts; half the advertised web rate in some cases.
We always book in the BA sales and make good use of the 2 BA Amex 2-4-1 companion vouchers we earn each year.

The joke in my office is "It must be time for 'scooby' to go away soon; been at work for at least 6 weeks now"; our record was 8 holidays in 1 year; mix of US, European & UK!
So you can see why many other Brits who aren't used to your circumstances would be surprised (or, to put it another way, "astounded") by the amount of holidays you have, yes? The people in your office might not be astounded any more because they are used to it, but I assume you are aware that it's highly unusual to the point that your work colleagues are joking about it.

I was just trying to understand why you asked "why?" someone would be astounded by the amount of long-haul holidays you took. It implied that you thought the amount of holidays you took for a Brit were "normal" (they aren't). I would've thought it was plainly obvious why someone might be astounded by your holidays - happy for you (and a tiny bit jealous ) but also very surprised!

Apologies if that's not why you were asking "why?".

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 06:28 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Asked ‘why’ as, with astounded meaning surprised or shocked, I was curious if those who are shocked are ‘wow shocked’ or ‘hmmm, shocked’ 😃
1 in 8 of my department (4 of us out of a department of around 32) take a similar number of holidays each year; 1 of those colleagues took 12 holidays this year although of shorter durations and that is his norm each year; his trips are to North, Central & South America, Africa, Asia & Europe too so no, I don’t believe my colleagues are joking about it because it’s ‘highly unusual’ as it’s not unheard of where I work.

Edited at 08:08 PM.
Old 9 Dec 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AtLast View Post
Probably because unless you're retired it's rare to have both the time off and the money. Many people have the time but not the funds and vice versa. lol. I don't think think your lifestyle is representative of the average British worker and most people would be surprised to hear how frequently you travel.
Exactly. I have 25 days annual leave a year and 3 days have to be kept for between Christmas and New Year - we all have to do that. It's a pain as I spend Christmas on my own and would much prefer to come into work that week and use those 3 days another time. This leaves 22 as well as bank holidays.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Asked ‘why’ as, with astounding meaning surprised or shocked, I was curious if those who are shocked are ‘wow shocked’ or ‘hmmm, shocked’ 😃
1 in 8 of my department (4 of us out of a department of around 32) take a similar number of holidays each year; 1 of those colleagues took 12 holidays this year although of shorter durations and that is his norm each year; his trips are to North, Central & South America, Africa, Asia & Europe too so no, I don’t believe my colleagues are joking about it because it’s ‘highly unusual’ as it’s not unheard of where I work.
WOW really surprised

I think it is great that you have this fabulous lifestyle and I am sure sacrifices have been made, but you are definitely not the norm
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Wow. Well, I'm astounded again.

You do realise it is highly unusual though, don't you? The vast majority of Brits don't take multiple holidays to faraway destinations every year. One or two, yes. But not 8 or 12.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
You do realise it is highly unusual though, don't you?
But, it is my usual/normal and is the norm for a few of my colleagues.

And yes, I do realise that my holiday habits are different to yours but I suspect that many others on here have different habits too.
Hey, one person's unusual is another's normal; live & let live

We all have different vices; ours are holidays

Edited at 01:32 PM.
Old 10 Dec 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

And yes, I do realise that my holiday habits are different to yours but I suspect that many others on here have different habits too.

It is our normal too.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
AtLast
Gone all Goofy

Well, here's how I see it. There's a neighbourhood near me where the houses start around 4 million and go up to about 12 million. For the families living there owning a multi million dollar home is normal. It is their normal. BUT to the vast, vast majority of Brits (or people in the world at large) they are a very small group and not representative of the majority. If fact, I'd say 98% of Brits go through life without having any interaction (outside of maybe a superior in their company) who owns a multi million dollar home. Likewise the vast majority of Brits/people at large in the world don't know anybody who takes as many holidays as you. Here on a travel forum it will be more common and in certain occupations/income levels it may also be more common but not to people at large.

So it seems the last few pages have all been over the use of the words 'normal' and 'astonished'. I think everyone was using normal to mean - the norm for a population, considering the title of the thread and the question in the OP. Astonished was also a natural reaction to coming across something that is rare and most people don't encounter. My astonishment on reading your post went like this ''wow that's insane, I've never known anyone to have so much leave and the income to take all those holidays, how unusual, surely not only the Americans would be surprised by that''. Nothing personal towards you and no judgement just 'holy mother what a lifestyle'

I hope you can see it from that perspective rather than take it personally and think those of us who were 'astonished' were calling you a weird, abnormal person or suggesting you were the only person in the country who lives like this etc... Nobody was suggesting it wasn't your normal or the normal in your 'world', they were saying that to apply it to the population at large is misleading. If you can't understand why your situation is such a rarity to most Brits I don't know what to say actually except most of us just don't earn enough to make multiple foreign holidays a vice, just like most people can't have a Ferrari collection as a vice

Again I think all of us have said we'd love to be doing what you're doing and it's obvious you both work hard and enjoy yourselves. I haven't seen anyone suggesting you shouldn't be having all your trips, it's a holiday forum after all! We were just a bit bewildered that you couldn't see why we think you are are in such a rarefied group,that's all.
AtLast is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
It might be normal for you and a few of your colleagues, sure. But that's not what I meant. What I meant was that it's a fact that it's not normal for 95% of British people.

I'm not talking about my holidays habits here; I'm talking about about the holiday habits of people in the UK. Based on the number of holidays abroad that most British people take, most British people would be surprised/astounded/shocked at the number of holidays you take.

I was surprised that you were surprised by people's reactions.The fact that you had to ask why someone was astounded at the number of holidays you took made it seem like you thought this was normal for most Brits. It most definitely isn't. Your holiday habits are very unusual (in a good way).

Anyway, apologies to the OP because I've now derailed this thread. I didn't mean to make a thing about this. I mean, it's great you have so many holidays and I wish you well. Apologies if it seems like I'm interrogating you or anything - that wasn't my intention.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~