Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jul 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Louise. Do the bleach trick. Then take stock of where you are.

I suspect you will need to spend hours scraping the pointing out and then I have an answer of what you can brush in.

Edit. I have seen pointing 100 times worse than that.
Am curious MrTM what is the mystery repointing solution?

You also mentioned something other than standard concrete for pointing elsewhere. What is it please, and can it be done like that at the outset or only as a fixer after the pointing has cracked ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
This stuff is the business. My neighbour used it and I watched him as he did the job. His builders were so long doing the pointing he sacked them off!

Much better than the normal sand and cement mix we used for ever.

I would use it from the off. Also it can be used when repointing. Great for both.

screwfix/p/sika-fast...rey-14kg/539fy

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
The builder I am thinking of going with is coming today. I think he is hoping for a yes no answer instead of the heap of questions he is going to get. Part of me thinks well just trust him to do it properly, and am sure yours will, it's just that niggle in the back of my head that now I have been told this stuff I want to know what he is going to do about it. It might be why the quote prices are so differrent.

Drainage is on my mind that's for sure.

Would love to see pictures if you are happy to share, off to google buff colour. Sounds like it might go well with our house colour.
I’m sure he’s used to potential clients asking questions 😁. I have to admit to being a bit of a nightmare now that he’s started. I haven’t been able to envision it all coming together through the piles of earth and dug out trenches. I think our builder is a bit fed up of me constantly checking with him “so this is going here” and “this part will look like...” etc 🙈

I must admit to being a bit concerned about drainage on the patio after reading this. The bottom part of our garden (not near the patio) has always been a swamp but that’s been fixed now with loads of hardcore and french drains. Our patio is on a slightly higher level then the rest of the garden slopes down away from it, so hopefully the slope will help. 🤞🏼 We also have a small drain on the patio. Not good for aesthetics, but obviously good for drainage.

Happy to share pics once they get going with the slabs.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
The grouting needs redoing as well, it cracked and crumbled, (I think when pressure washing to try and get rid ofthe black spot!) 😫

Have been reading a useful site On this and associated matters. Very helpful.

pavingexpert/maintain_03
Old 25 Jul 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Is there an alternative paving that doesnt have all these issues? I noticed porcelain slabs are popular?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I am worried about the idea of bleaching, as we have cats, and am quite grass proud and worried it will kill it...

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

If I had known about the maintenance issues with Indian Stone I wouldn’t have had it installed. Only last week my wife got sun tan lotion stained on it. After a recent BBQ we had fat stains on it too!
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
If I had known about the maintenance issues with Indian Stone I wouldn’t have had it installed. Only last week my wife got sun tan lotion stained on it. After a recent BBQ we had fat stains on it too!
The grease (and most other marks disappear quite quickly). Bird poo after eating berries is the worst... (and be careful with grass weed and feed granules)
Old 25 Jul 20, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Halowa View Post
The grease (and most other marks disappear quite quickly). Bird poo after eating berries is the worst... (and be careful with grass weed and feed granules)
Interestign. We do have a problem with birds roosting. It sounds like sealing straightway might be the way to go.
Old 5 Aug 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks all have gone with the 6K quote. Indian sandstone. Raj Green (not blend) riven.

Had a long conversation about drainage. Also about sealant. Was told very clearly that not needed.

Will see what happens.

On the sealant front part of me thinks do it as soona s possible, other part thinks wait a few weeks for any salts to come out, and final bit (very very small bit) say trust the builder and not seal. Ho hum.