Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Aug 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Sat nav for 17 year old?

Any recommendations please?

With them generally being fitted in cars I've not looked at sat nav in their own right for many years.

I don't want DS to have his phone on him while he's driving, would rather it was just switched off or in the glove box out of the way so we're looking at Sat nav.

Any tips, recommendations please?

Thank you

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I had an old garmin I keep in my car, works well, I bought it from CEX (about 9 years ago mind) so worth looking there, you can set iPhones to not disturb whilst your driving though if that would ease your mind? I find my phone easier to set up quickly as I can grab the navigation and plonk it in the mount?
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

I use Co-Pilot sat-nav app on my iPhone, my phone automatically sets to do not disturb whilst driving
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

I use my phone and love the fact it links to my watch. It vibrates a split moment before the sat nav gives me an instruction which means I don’t miss hearing the voice.

Just ensure the DP not disturb settings are in place when using the sat nav.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Google maps has the best routes. I bought both mine sat navs but fact is the both bought mobile holders in a short time of getting g their cars and use them with google maps. Save your money. You will lose this one!
Old 9 Aug 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Google maps has the best routes. I bought both mine sat navs but fact is the both bought mobile holders in a short time of getting g their cars and use them with google maps. Save your money. You will lose this one!
Hmm I think you're probably right, maybe I'll pick my battles and move on!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 02:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Hmm I think you're probably right, maybe I'll pick my battles and move on!
Good plan. I have a separate SatNav but haven't used it in years. Google Maps is much easier because you can just put in a name instead of searching for addresses.
Old 10 Aug 20, 06:19 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My son has been driving for 18 months and also uses google maps with a holder for his phone.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Waze is better than using just Google Maps.

It takes Google Maps and adds more information such as crowd sourced delays etc.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Waze is better than using just Google Maps.

It takes Google Maps and adds more information such as crowd sourced delays etc.
This

Waze is fantastic. Sat Navs are outdated and not worth the money anymore. Waze alerts to traffic issues, speed cameras, and all manner of problems plus it will guide you around the problems with ease.

If you are concerned with your Son using he phone whilst driving, there are settings which will disable calls and notifications etc. when in the car and on the move.

Ultimately it is down to your Son understanding the real dangers of messing with a phone whilst driving - although the same can be said for messing with a Sat Nav or other tablet style dashboards which seem to be getting more commonplace
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List