Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
We have star jasmine evergreen which grow to the top our fence and thrive in both the sun and shaded sides in the garden. We’ve also grown it up and over our shed where it’s really shaded and we can’t even see our shed any more. So it looks lovely.

That’s really pretty. When we were in Charleston, we saw a lot of Confederate Jasmine. I heard that grows really profusely. I thought it looked like Star Jasmine. I always meant to look it up and see if they were the same thing but I never got round to it.
Old 15 Sep 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
lindylou46
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
Will a clematis grow in the shade? There’s a tree that overhangs about 8ft into our garden so it’s hard to get anything to grow there. I’m know we can cut it back but he’s so intimidating, I’m sure he’d have something to say about it. We don’t even go out there much now. It feels too uncomfortable and I worry we’ll do something to upset him and he’ll start yelling.
Yes, there is a huge tree in the garden next door which leaves the fence in shade for much of the day, doesn't seem to bother the clematis at all.
lindylou46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Alohomora
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by lindylou46 View Post
Don't know if this will help but l put a clematis in to cover my back fence about a year ago and it is thriving and has nearly covered the whole of it. I just trained it along the fence with cup hooks.
We have done this, and also a passion flower. It's gone wild! There's an awful lot of passion in my garden right now 😳🤣🤭
Alohomora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post

There is nothing you can do about their fence as they are paying for it. If you find it unsightly then put your own fence up to hide theirs and close any gaps.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

I would grow these as a hedge - Viburnum tinus, Griselinia or Laurel, they are evergreen, and quick to grow.

I wouldn't put anything onto his fence without permision particularly if you haven't contributed to the cost. Many clematis aren't evergreen so only look good from March to Oct. An exception to this is clematis Armandii which is evergreen but does need a lot of cutting back and support.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
It’s their fence they can do as they please , it’s doesn’t have to look pretty on your side

Personally in your situation I would put up a new fence on your side so you don’t have to look at their boundary .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
It’s their fence they can do as they please , it’s doesn’t have to look pretty on your side

Personally in your situation I would put up a new fence on your side so you don’t have to look at their boundary .
Agreed. And we have done this ourselves before in a previous property.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Although I know there’s nothing I can do about it, I’m allowed to want my garden looking nice. Right now, it doesn’t. Next door is going to fix the gap, which I thought he would. I googled which way a fence should face and you are supposed to have the nice side facing your neighbour. It’s not a law or anything though, just standard practice. That is as I always thought. I’ll do what next door have done and plant some shrubs along the back of the garden. Hopefully, they’ll grow and prop the fence up.
Old 15 Sep 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have a hedge between our neighbors and ourselves. We wanted more privacy so we put up a fence right next to the hedge on our side. We have the nice side facing us as it is now not the Boundry.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List