Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Nov 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
Does anyone have any advice on how to encourage my son to revise and just put a bit of effort in?

I know all boys are different and some will get on and others won't. Well mine is firmly in the 'won't' camp. We've tried taking away electronics and things but I don't want to make studying seem like 'the enemy'.

Should I just consign myself to having to wait until he naturally wants to do it? If so, then so be it, but it infuriates me no end as I know he could do very well if he would just put some effort in.

He's year 8 by the way. I seem to recall this being a fun year but now it seems tougher than ever!
I just used to say to my 2 boys that they had to do homework first or revision for an hour or 2 depending on exams & things, then they can do what they want for the rest of the day, or 1 hour morning & 1 hour afternoon although it was difficult to prise anyway the PS controls from them then
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post

I just used to say to my 2 boys that they had to do homework first or revision for an hour or 2 depending on exams & things, then they can do what they want for the rest of the day, or 1 hour morning & 1 hour afternoon although it was difficult to prise anyway the PS controls from them then
Thank you, trying this too! It's the long strops that ensue that suck my energy! 😬
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
Thanks all.

I have considered the money route and may end up there but it just feels a bit uncomfortable. If it works though, perhaps that is the way to go.

He has termly exams and nothing too serious at the moment but they have to choose their gcse options in February and obviously it will help if they're doing ok in chosen subjects!

He doesn't seem to have any careers in mind so I can't really inspire him that way sadly!
The money route is good we used that too, but not in year 8 that’s a long way off to kids
When they got to year 11 we told them what we’d pay for each exam
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
My dd got a A* A and B in a levels, we gave her £50, £30, £20 so £100 that I would of ended giving to her anyway but not all at once!
I'm going to discuss this with my dd and see what she thinks. Maybe we can work out a scheme and incentivise him in the process!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
The money route is good we used that too, but not in year 8 that’s a long way off to kids
When they got to year 11 we told them what we’d pay for each exam
Yes I agree he's still very young but we don't give them pocket money at the moment, rather gove then money when required! Perhaps we could try and link pocket money to homework..?!
Old 8 Nov 20, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Hate to say it, but having been through this years a level fiasco, let him know that ANY exams/topic tests/project work he does from this day on matter.

They have a difficult few years ahead as all this will not be sorted quickly.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Hate to say it, but having been through this years a level fiasco, let him know that ANY exams/topic tests/project work he does from this day on matter.

They have a difficult few years ahead as all this will not be sorted quickly.
That's a really good point, thank you
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

I think it will just click into place tbh. I have 3, 2 are now adults, youngest is 13. If you are worried he is not achieving his potential I would have the discussion with him to let him know that you can and will support with revision strategies should he want this support. I would just ask things are going and how he feels he has performed with his exams. I’ve not used the money route ( no criticism to those that have as different approaches work for different families).
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Ahh I feel your pain, my son does 2 x 30mins revision a day. I suggested 2 hours a day and he suggested 30mins so it was a compromise. He wont do any more than that, he is not a kid who answers back etc but he withdraws completely if pushed too far out of his comfort zone.

Interesting on the money front because he does have a big incentive for his GCSE's but this has really made me think about the mocks. It is highly likely these mocks are going to count for something so now I am wondering if I should do a lower incentive for these too.
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I offered my son cash for grades, but he still opted to do no work - he then was lucky (for him, I appreciate it wasn’t for those who had studied and cared about the exams) that he never had to take his GCSEs due to Covid. He was given fair grades based on the level he was showing at school, so the grades he deserved, albeit not the grades he could of achieved with revision & knuckling down.

Thankfully those grades were easily enough to get him to college, and midway through lockdown he changed his mind from doing Alevels (he’d heard the ones he’d opted for would require lots of study, and he’d apparently ‘had enough of studying’ - I’m not sure how he’d had enough, as I’d never seen him study once! Lol!).

Anyway, he’s now at college doing an engineering Btec, and he’s absolutely loving it and openly admitting that he is revising for his upcoming modules ‘for the first time in his life’!

I think sometimes they just need to find the subject that ignites interest in them and then they are off and running - I wasted lots of energy worrying my son wasn’t studying, but as they say ‘ you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink’!

Hope everything works out for you and your son - my youngest is now in Year 9 and has just started his GCSE courses, hopefully I will find his time less stressful! Lol!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List