Notices

Old 2 Nov 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hong Kong 2019 - Day 8 Chi Lin Nunnery and a Bike Ride

I slept well again! I kept to the same breakfast - stir fried noodles with coriander, a juice and a cappuccino!

I had agreed with O that I would come up to meet him at his university at 1 pm when he had finished for the week. So I had the morning free. I decided to revisit Chi Lin Nunnery that has stuck in my memories from my last visit to Hong Kong 6 years ago.

The Nunnery is in the Diamond Hill area of the city - minutes from another big shopping mall and the MTR station. Thankfully this time there was no getting lost as it was clearly signposted.

It is a stunning place. The monks were in prayer so you could hear their chanting which was very relaxing.

The guide book says:

Established in 1934 and renovated in Tang dynasty style (AD 618–907) in 1990, the Chi Lin Nunnery is a large temple complex of elegant wooden architecture, treasured Buddhist relics and soul-soothing lotus ponds. The complex also includes a series of temple halls, some of which contain gold, clay and wooden statues representing divinities.

There were lots of stones as above with sayings beneath them which were thought provoking in some instances and completely unfathomable in others!

It really was a lovely way to spend an hour just wandering around!

The second part of the number is Nan Lian Gardens

Equally stunning and just as tranquil!

The gardens were also built in the style of the Tang dynasty. They were perfectly kept and an amazing place to walk around.

I made my way back to the metro after a lovely morning and headed over to the university once I had had my caffeine intake! For once I could connect to public wifi so I let O know I would be on time!

I took the metro and then managed to get on the right mini bus to the campus. It was a lot busier than on Sunday!

I met up with O and we went to the university shop so I could buy him a HKUST sweatshirt. We then headed to the admin office so he could ask about a proof of attendance that we need for the tax office! That all sorted we got the mini bus back to the hotel

Having seen my photo of the sushi from last night, O asked if we could have that for lunch. I happily obliged.

After lunch we chilled out in the hotel room before he suggested we hire bikes...

He had done a bike tour in freshers' week and assured me there were cycle paths (HK drives on the same side as the UK - which I am no longer used to! )

We found a bike hire place near the hotel. For the sum of HK$50 an hour for both bikes we were on our way. We cycled down to the waterfront and around the area. As the hour approached we both were worn out - it was pretty hot and not always flat. We took the bikes back - hot and very sweaty!

After showers and a bit of a rest (my legs were exhausted!) we went to our usual canteen. O loves it and I would rather we had something he enjoyed! We rang the changes a bit and had a margarita pizza and a bowl of mushroom pasta to share.

O finished up with a chocolate and banana milkshake. Calorie free of course!

We waddled back to the hotel, tired but happy.

Edited at 02:15 PM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 2 Nov 19 1:10 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Another fantastic day Mel, you must be exhausted from all the walking and exercise you have now done!
The gardens were beautiful, so tranquil and peaceful, what a lovely way to spend some time.
Yeah, pizza express again!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely day. The nunnery and gardens look stunning, I would love to visit those.

I do love riverfront areas in cities, they seem so pretty and peaceful in comparison to the hectic city all around. The bike ride seems a perfect way to explore. I’m not keen on sushi but yours looked top quality and very tasty.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Another lovely day, HK looks a wonderful place to visit. Glad that O is enjoying his food 😁
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great but busy day no wonder your legs ache

Joan
Old 3 Nov 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Oh wow Mel, the nunnery and gardens look breathtakingly beautiful.

Well done on the biking in that heat too!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

More coriander 😱 more sun 👍 more beautiful places 😍 what a lovely day. It looks so perfect and peaceful around the nunnery and the bike ride sounds fun, if a bit tiring!
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Stunning photos today I thought the Nunnery and gardens looked so beautiful.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
Another fantastic day Mel, you must be exhausted from all the walking and exercise you have now done!
The gardens were beautiful, so tranquil and peaceful, what a lovely way to spend some time.
Yeah, pizza express again!
I loved those gardens - so very calm!
My legs ached after the bike ride though - I am so unfit

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
What a lovely day. The nunnery and gardens look stunning, I would love to visit those.

I do love riverfront areas in cities, they seem so pretty and peaceful in comparison to the hectic city all around. The bike ride seems a perfect way to explore. I’m not keen on sushi but yours looked top quality and very tasty.
The sushi was such good value. O said he really enjoyed the ones I got him on Sunday. Made a change from pizza

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Another lovely day, HK looks a wonderful place to visit. Glad that O is enjoying his food 😁
I think he is missing his pizza!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great but busy day no wonder your legs ache

Joan
It was a fun way to see the local area. Thank goodness for cycle paths though!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Oh wow Mel, the nunnery and gardens look breathtakingly beautiful.

Well done on the biking in that heat too!
I think the nunnery was stunning. The chanting also helped the atmosphere.

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
More coriander 😱 more sun 👍 more beautiful places 😍 what a lovely day. It looks so perfect and peaceful around the nunnery and the bike ride sounds fun, if a bit tiring!
The coriander was lovely
I loved the contrast between the quietness of the nunnery and the hustle of the surrounding area.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List