Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jun 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by pretty_lucky View Post
People can only cope with so much thrown at them. If you still want the Disney holiday, you’re still being thrown new rules all the time.

You took the option to choose Universal which, at any time, is a more relaxing and pretty much stress-free holiday (certainly in comparison for planning). It’s just a case of sitting and waiting for the dates to arrive to see whether you get to travel. That’s just not the case for those still having Disney booked.
One of my cousins is taking her family (kids age 6 and 4) to Disney in October. I spoke to her last night, she's not panicking in the slightest, she's just getting on with it.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
The level of hysteria on here, people not being able to cope, is really starting to worry me. It's just a holiday. Ok a very expensive holiday, but still just a holiday. Incidentally at this moment I should be at Luton Airport waiting to board a plane to Portugal. But I'm not. I'm not going on holiday today but I'm glad to be alive.
I agree. When you invest in a holiday, upon your return you have none of the money left that you earlier invested and simply memories plus an SD card of images. It is one of the fastest depratiating big value items that you can buy.

I lost my vacation in March and was worried about getting my money back from 14 different suppliers. Within a week, I had booked again for August of this year.. on a ‘punt’.
Thankfully I now have everything back other than £144 from a tour operator in SFO.. But that will be coming on chargeback.

If I cannot go to Arizona/Cali in August, I will shrug my shoulders, close it down and rebook for next August (sons A levels coming up). I won’t even break into a sweat, yet alone wring my hands and wind myself into a frenzy.

A vacation is simply a vacation. It pales into significance when I think of the couple of million or so that will in probability lose their jobs in the next 3 months, whilst figuring out how to pay big Mortgages, Car purchases, Credit cards etc. I have none of those and therefore am very, very lucky.

My cup is currently half full right now, rather than half empty. On balance of probability, I will not be travelling on 19 August, but I will lose no sleep over it... I haven’t got money tied up with Virgin.. that would make me sweat. 🤪

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:31 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
pretty_lucky
VIP Dibber

Mobile

One of my cousins is taking her family (kids age 6 and 4) to Disney in October. I spoke to her last night, she's not panicking in the slightest, she's just getting on with it.
Obviously it affects different types of people I’m different ways too. 😬
Old 22 Jun 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wishuponastar83 View Post
We’re due to stay in Port Orleans riverside on 7th August 2020 for 3 weeks. Might need to give them a call
You certainly won't be staying at Riverside (it will be closed until at least the end of October per Disney's updates yesterday). I must admit I think the bigger problem will be actually getting there - but if you do make it, then Disney will relocate you to one of the available resorts (see disneyworld.disney.go/ex...dates/resorts/). My own flight (a couple of weeks earlier than you) has just been cancelled.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014

Edited at 10:49 AM.
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
cd900
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by gizmodo View Post
It just seems ridiculous that they made us choose three options without giving us all the facts. I based my decision on my discount for POFQ. I could cry. I can't cope anymore.
I'm also supposed to be staying at POFQ. If it's definitely not open I'm guessing we might be offered CBR, which I would be more than happy with (Skyliner). If there's an extra cost I'll reassess (for the thousandth time). I feel very zen although I'm prepared for my blood pressure to increase during the park reservation process

I just hope we all get to go in the end.
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

The level of hysteria on here, people not being able to cope, is really starting to worry me. It's just a holiday. Ok a very expensive holiday, but still just a holiday. Incidentally at this moment I should be at Luton Airport waiting to board a plane to Portugal. But I'm not. I'm not going on holiday today but I'm glad to be alive.
Unfair .
You’re travelling on your own , that’s much easier logistics wise than travelling in a family of 4 or larger, like a lot people and the fact you’ve said you’ve moved to universal which seems to not be having the same issues as Disney at all.
It’s not “hysteria” it’s the fact Disney have acted appallingly to U.K. guests by being so vague and unhelpful .
I’d be upset if I’d paid 10 grand to get 3 grands worth of holiday and I can’t believe you can’t see that
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Also, some people are luck enough to be able to afford to go on a bit holiday every year, even twice a year... some people save up for 3,4,5 even more years. I think it’s completely acceptable to stress over this whole thing. I know I would be (figuratively) pulling my hair out if I had a Disney holiday booked.

As well as that, people deal with stress differently. There will have been people who are booked to go to Disney with a very, or even terminally, ill family member. They want it to be perfect, can they be sure of a ‘next time’? Of course people are going to be very stressed.

I think we could all be more understanding. Especially on the Dibb - it’s a place to come and vent sometimes, ask for help etc.

Edited at 11:07 AM.
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
gizmodo
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Do you know what? I think I have the right to be slightly stressed.

I've been about as positive as I can be, but Disney keep throwing the curve balls and it's now one too far for me.

I cannot tell you how desperate I am for a holiday. I have not been abroad in 5 years and the biggest holiday I've had in that time is 4 days at center parcs. I'm spending 12k on a holiday that I don't know is going to happen. And now I'm starting to wonder if I'm making a mistake. I'm essentially planning to take my kids to a place where they will need to wear masks in the heat. I feel like I'm being selfish. I don't think it's the right thing to do.

I stand to lose money if I cancel but I'm not sure I can hold on till August anymore. I'm tired. And it's probably time to bail out of the positive thread.

I'm sorry
gizmodo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
Well that’s just great as Beach club isn’t on there to open until 24th August and I’m due to check in on 13th. You would think there would be some communication if this was the case!
Yes we are the same CSR for 20th August,shut till Oct 14th no communication!
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Mobile

Originally Posted by gizmodo View Post
Do you know what? I think I have the right to be slightly stressed.

I've been about as positive as I can be, but Disney keep throwing the curve balls and it's now one too far for me.

I cannot tell you how desperate I am for a holiday. I have not been abroad in 5 years and the biggest holiday I've had in that time is 4 days at center parcs. I'm spending 12k on a holiday that I don't know is going to happen. And now I'm starting to wonder if I'm making a mistake. I'm essentially planning to take my kids to a place where they will need to wear masks in the heat. I feel like I'm being selfish. I don't think it's the right thing to do.

I stand to lose money if I cancel but I'm not sure I can hold on till August anymore. I'm tired. And it's probably time to bail out of the positive thread.

I'm sorry
Of course you have the right to feel stressed. I think the vast majority of people would agree. I know this is a ‘positivity only’ thread but I think you can be stressed AND positive. Not everything is black and white.

You deserve a holiday, a break from real life, and I understand why you would be worrying about if it is the right thing to do or not. There are many of us in the same boat.

Hold on a bit longer, PLEASE don’t cancel and lose your money yet - you might be able to get a refund. Just hold out and see x

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List