Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 28 Sep 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
rhu115
Apprentice Imagineer

london trip

planning a weekend trip to see back to the future in London for July next year for 2 couples. I have booked flights down to Gatwick, but I'm struggling for the area to stay in. The last time I was there we stayed near Hyde Park and got the tube into the shops etc from Lancaster Gate. What area is better to stay in, preferably i would be looking for an apartment rather than 2 hotel rooms. Also how does the tube work? I think we got a card for a few days to cover our journeys. It was my husband who organised it last year but this is a surprise for his 40th so can't ask him Any tips would be much appreciated

rhu115 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

What would you like to do when you are in London? (So I can suggest an area)?

We find Premier Inns consistently cheap and high quality. I would make sure you book a room with a/c.

Citadines is a good chain for apartments, many of their properties service the City (business) rather than tourist areas but that is usually fine as the transport network is so good. Plus there is lots to see in the City - we love wandering around at the weekend as it’s very quiet but you can see the fabulous architecture and ‘feel’ the history

Edited at 12:24 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Getting the train into London from Gatwick, then London Bridge may be a good area so you don't have to traipse luggage too far and can leave it with the hotel during the day on the way back and pick it up en-route.

London Bridge is also a tune station so you can just use that from there.

As for paying for the tube, if you have a contactless debit card then just use that to scan in and out of each station and it keeps track of journeys and will charge you the cheapest amount capping it if you hit the daily limit. Much easier than buying a pass for a set period.

For apartments, look on Airbnb as an example.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
rhu115
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
What would you like to do when you are in London? (So I can suggest an area)?

We find Premier Inns consistently cheap and high quality. I would make sure you book a room with a/c.

Citadines is a good chain for apartments, many of their properties service the City (business) rather than tourist areas but that is usually fine as the transport network is so good. Plus there is lots to see in the City - we love wandering around at the weekend as it’s very quiet but you can see the fabulous architecture and ‘feel’ the history
we are going to see a show at the Aldephi theatre, hoping to visit the zoo one day and possibly look around the shops, harrods. Hoping for it to be a bit of a chilled weekend with a few pubs

rhu115 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
rhu115
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes i was planning on getting the train from Gatwick, I've seen people mentioning an oyster card but I'm assuming that won't be any good for us if we are just there for the weekend. I think I have found an apartment near regent street which would be a good area?

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Getting the train into London from Gatwick, then London Bridge may be a good area so you don't have to traipse luggage too far and can leave it with the hotel during the day on the way back and pick it up en-route.

London Bridge is also a tune station so you can just use that from there.

As for paying for the tube, if you have a contactless debit card then just use that to scan in and out of each station and it keeps track of journeys and will charge you the cheapest amount capping it if you hit the daily limit. Much easier than buying a pass for a set period.

For apartments, look on Airbnb as an example.

Old 28 Sep 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by rhu115 View Post
Yes i was planning on getting the train from Gatwick, I've seen people mentioning an oyster card but I'm assuming that won't be any good for us if we are just there for the weekend. I think I have found an apartment near regent street which would be a good area?
For what you want to do yes it is - you are only a five minute walk to a lot of different tube lines at Oxford Circus and Picadilly Circus (others nearby too)

I wouldn’t bother with an Oyster any more (unless I already had one) as the contactless tech works absolutely fine as long as you have a contactless payment method (which most people do now). Just remember to use the same card within each day
Old 28 Sep 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by rhu115 View Post
Oyster card will be fine just for a couple of days I had one for our 5 days in London all so used it to go down the river with Uber boats well worth it we kept topping it up but we used it all the time next year with luck we be going back being based at Liverpool Street travelodge as it very near the station hope you have a brilliant time next year.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Don't bother with the oyster card for a couple of days. Gives you zero advantage over using a contactless card of you all have one each.

Regent Street will be fine, plenty to see and do.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

If you are travelling as a family group can you still use a contactless card ie tap it 4 times on the way in and out, or is that too complicated for the system to cope with?
Perthite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

No, you need a card each unless some of the group are minors and not charged.

You can't do that with an Oyster card either.