Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Oct 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Question year 11 students college applications?

anyone else applying for college next year?

ds is struggling at the moment as he's not really sure what he wants to do and there are no open days so we can't go and look around anywhere
There is one course he seemed quite interested in but its quite a distance away and I've no idea how we'd actually get him there should he apply and get in.

Last week the school told them to start applying now but he started one application and they need his predicted grades to complete it which we don't have yet - the school have said they will get them after their mocks
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are also looking at sixth form and college for next year. The one she wants to go to also is a fair distance away from us. We were lucky in that they are are allowing students to book an individual visit. We went on Monday and I hoped she would realise about the journey but she loved it ! 20 minutes in a car but the bus from door to door would be half hour each way walk to the stop and an hour on the bus.
She doesn’t want to go to her own school sixth form and I don’t want her to go to our local college.
I didn’t think the application needed to be in until January though. Daughters mocks aren’t until the last week of November (if they take place of course!)

I am trying to guide but not interfere but it is difficult !

Edited to say she is also very travel sick !

Edited at 06:30 PM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I hadn't even thought about this yet, I just looked on my son's school website and his needs to be in the 3rd week of Feb. I am glad I looked though as it gives me an idea of what grades he needs to be able to stay on at the school 6th form.
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My son wants to stay at his school for sixth form - my oldest went to the schools sixth form and did very well so I'm happy with his decision.

We haven't had any information about dates yet.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Luckily we did some college open days last year and DD decided on a Btec in children's play, learning and development rather than Alevels. Most college events at the moment seem to be virtual although one of the colleges did do some physical tours last week that had to be booked. DD's school are also taking students to an experience event and open day at the sixth form in their academy trust. As DD has already been to the open day there and decided what she wants to do we have told school we don't want her to go and want her to remain in school revising. DD applied for her course a few weeks ago when applications opened as her course is quite specific and she was worried places would fill up. For her predicted grades she asked her tutor but we are aware they could change. She has a college interview tomorrow.
Good luck to anyone trying to decide.

Edited at 07:16 PM.
Orlando 2004 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
School teacher
Very Serious Dibber

Our daughter is in year 11 and her school has no sixth form. We are looking, so hard as it’s all virtual. She wants to do A levels.
School teacher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

One of the colleges near us closes their applications in 7 days. It only open for two weeks. So have applied thief and also will do for another. It’s a bit of challenge as cannot go anywhere to see them in reality
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Apricota View Post
One of the colleges near us closes their applications in 7 days. It only open for two weeks. So have applied thief and also will do for another. It’s a bit of challenge as cannot go anywhere to see them in reality
Had a bit of a panic when I read your post. Just checked and applications close at the sixth form college on 1st April. I don’t want her to apply before she gets her mock results because we don’t believe her predicted grades are accurate.
Could I ask is it normal to apply to more than one college ? She will apply for her own school (she doesn’t want to go there) and also the sixth form college, mainly because I am hoping she changes her mind.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mommacrab
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Had a bit of a panic when I read your post. Just checked and applications close at the sixth form college on 1st April. I don’t want her to apply before she gets her mock results because we don’t believe her predicted grades are accurate.
Could I ask is it normal to apply to more than one college ? She will apply for her own school (she doesn’t want to go there) and also the sixth form college, mainly because I am hoping she changes her mind.
I work for a sixth form college and would always advise applying to more than one college (if you have them in your area). Early applications are an indication of potential student numbers for the college and course popularity. We often have students apply after GCSE results have been received and even after the enrolment days have finished, some have been known to apply once term has started.
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mommacrab View Post
I work for a sixth form college and would always advise applying to more than one college (if you have them in your area). Early applications are an indication of potential student numbers for the college and course popularity. We often have students apply after GCSE results have been received and even after the enrolment days have finished, some have been known to apply once term has started.
Is this just in case a student changes their mind about where they want to go? As 2 local colleges have just merged there is only 1 other college in a different town that offers childcare and DD isn't keen on going there. I did say maybe she should apply anyway but I don't think I can persuade her as she is adamant she wants to go to the one she has applied to.