Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Nov 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

BA vs VH Oct '21 school hol help please.

Hello, rather gloomy weather and im feeling optimistic looking at some dibb posts so thought id have a gander at late 2021 holidays

So, Oct half term 2021, same hotel, both flying direct from Heathrow, 2a/2c... the prices are so different .

VH £4038
BA £2164

Is this quite standard with companies? We flew VH this feb whom were fab, but BA price and deposit amount is very tempting! Has anyone booked with BA for around the same dates, would we lose the deposit if covid is still rife and everything is still cancelled? I also have been playing with BA dates, and if i go a couple of days earlier, the airport changes to Gatwick? .

Hope someone can offer some insight or help. Many thanks xx

xx
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

BA have much better deals and policies. We have not gone BA for decades but switched from TC and Virgin from Manchester (TC obviously no choice) to BA from Heathrow for our next 2 trips next year.

I predict when it becomes obvious holidays are back on, prices may shoot up if the demand returns. I have read there is massive pent up demand and it will be there but proof will be in the pudding...

Edited at 11:24 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

We've booked BA in August, much cheaper than VA. BA have more capacity and seem to have flights from LHR and LGW.

BA have more planes and can be more flexible I guess. I've flown on both an VA have a better inflight entertainment system but really wouldn't pay much more for it.

Don't know what Virgin are offering regarding cancellation policy but BA are offering no fees to change or vouchers valid until April 2021.

I also think prices will go up as travel becomes easier, million dollar question is when will that be?
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Miss AliJS
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have always flown Virgin and really liked them. However, given the refund struggles recently and the fact that the whole aviation industry is teetering on the edge, we have booked BA for October as seemed to be the safer bet.
OCT 2018- Emerald Island/HRH
OCT 2019- Back to Windsor Hills/Portofino Bay
OCT 2020 and 2021- Not to be
APRIL 2022- New York
JUNE 2022- Rosen Inn LBV/RPR
APRIL 2023- Emerald Island/Endless Summer
OCT 2024- Emerald Island/RPR
Miss AliJS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you YorkshireT, Lostbrain and Miss AliJS . I looked at BA flights separately and saw they fly from Gatwick and Heathrow, Gatwick ones leave in the morning and Heathrow one leaves a little later on after lunch. We are closer to Heathrow (and easier for us to get too) so the later flight would be ideal for us . I still cant get over the price difference, almost half . If i was to do the BA deposit, could i still do seat selection, and does it cost? (its "world traveller" - is that same as Economy?) xx
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Don't know about seat selection, but the lowest BA class doesn't have baggage included so check for that.

Year before last BA were charging for seat selection and we decided not to pay and were still sat together. Don't know what the situation is now. Will worry about that much nearer the time.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kitjos View Post
Thank you YorkshireT, Lostbrain and Miss AliJS . I looked at BA flights separately and saw they fly from Gatwick and Heathrow, Gatwick ones leave in the morning and Heathrow one leaves a little later on after lunch. We are closer to Heathrow (and easier for us to get too) so the later flight would be ideal for us . I still cant get over the price difference, almost half . If i was to do the BA deposit, could i still do seat selection, and does it cost? (its "world traveller" - is that same as Economy?) xx

Yes World Traveller is BA's name for Economy and if you want to prebook certain seats then BA charge (try doing a dummy booking to find out the costs). If you are travelling with children 11 and under BA start to allocate seats free of charge for families and you can choose seats free during online check in.

britishairways/trave...b?p_faqid=4441
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

WOW that’s a huge difference & the reason why we always go with BA on a package, Virgin are always more money which pays for park tickets or clothes shopping
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I still think BA could pull out of Gatwick, from what I’ve read, so have stuck to Heathrow.
Old 15 Nov 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I have/had a few BA Holidays bookings and haven't experienced any issues with their customer service or obtaining refunds.

Our New Year booking to Vegas was recently cancelled by them and a quick phone call sorted a refund of the deposit. They will refund your deposit if the boarders aren't open when your balance is due.

World Traveller doesn't include seat selection but if its booked through BA Holidays it does include 23kg hold luggage. I dont usually pay for seat selection and have always got seats together when doing online check in 24 hours in advance.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List