Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Nov 11, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

You're welcome, Michelle! I'm glad to hear you're coming back again. Always happy to help answer questions, so ask away whenever you're ready.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 12, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Pottermouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Happy New Year Aims

Ok, with Christmas gone thoughts are obviuosly turning to holidays

We are thinking about a few days in San Francisco then moving on to San Diego, possibly using internal flights.

Would you mind helping us with a few questions please?

What is it like for getting about? Is a car absolutely necessary or is the local transport safe and easy to use?

We went to Anaheim last July/Aug and loved it apart from the lack of shopping, like most Brits we love a bargain and sorely missed a Premium/Prime Outlet type of place.

Any help/ideas will be greatfully received

Wynnfield Inn Sept 00, Spring Hill Suites LBV Oct 07, POR Aug 08 & Aug 09, Sandy Ridge Villa Oct 10, Sheraton Park Anaheim 11, Scottsdale 12, Las Vegas Jun 13, Scottsdale 14, Dallas 15, OKW 16, Cuba 17, Cuba 18, Beach Club 19 & Kraków Nov 19.
Pottermouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 12, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Hi Pottermouse, Happy New Year to you too! I'm glad to help with any extra questions you have, glad to hear you are thinking of coming to San Diego. I would advise hiring a car to get around here. Public transportation is fine in getting around the downtown area with buses, cabs, etc. but doesn't extend well into the outlying areas where you will find a lot of the shopping and big attractions like the beaches, the Zoo, Sea World and so on. While these places are close enough in distance to downtown and the airport to be a quick drive by car, it's hard finding enough public transportation options to get you into some of those places quickly and conveniently. There is the red San Diego trolley that connects downtown with other cities in the county, but other than a stop at Old Town State Park, it doesn't really get you close enough to other tourists attractions or the beaches. It's used mainly by people who commute to work from outside downtown. You'd have to still get other transfers once off the trolley to buses or cabs- so really, for the least amount of hassle and time spent commuting, I'd go with hiring a car for San Diego.

As you have probably seen from my list, there are a lot of shopping places around town to satisfy your bargain hunting urges.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 12, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pottermouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you

Ok, how would you compare the driving with Orlando?

We didn't hire a car in LA as neither DH or me really faniced it with many lanes of traffic on the freeway.

Wynnfield Inn Sept 00, Spring Hill Suites LBV Oct 07, POR Aug 08 & Aug 09, Sandy Ridge Villa Oct 10, Sheraton Park Anaheim 11, Scottsdale 12, Las Vegas Jun 13, Scottsdale 14, Dallas 15, OKW 16, Cuba 17, Cuba 18, Beach Club 19 & Kraków Nov 19.
Pottermouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 12, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

I think you should find the driving here very similar to driving in Orlando. I understand your DH's feelings about driving in LA, the freeways there are a bit jumbled and sometimes you exit off the left and other times off the right...and then suddenly the freeway will split in half and become two different ones. The freeways in San Diego are much more straightforward and easier to navigate in comparison to LA.

If you're still unsure about driving here, it might be a good idea to use the trip planner on the San Diego commute website and see what all the different public transportation options are to the places you are interested in visiting in town- then you can decide if it's worth it to you to go with those options or hire a car. Check out the trip planner here:
sdcommute/TripPlanner/index.asp

Edited at 11:42 PM.
Old 2 Jan 12, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Just been looking through this thread Amy very informed and lots to look out for when we do go,prob need our whole vacation time spent there to get some of it done,
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 12, 02:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rpbert1 View Post
Just been looking through this thread Amy very informed and lots to look out for when we do go,prob need our whole vacation time spent there to get some of it done,
Thank you! And I've got more info where that came from. Definitely suggest at least 5 days here if you can spare them but a week would be better.

Old 2 Jan 12, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post

its on our to do list, wether we get time this year definetly on our next visit
Old 13 Jan 12, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

I've updated the first post with a listing of recommended hotels around San Diego. Since this is the question I find myself being asked the most, I hope this will be a helpful guide for everyone.

Old 9 May 12, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post

this is brill... thanks for posting amy.. its given us a lot of choices for our up comming trip to the west coast