Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Aug 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by redfox5 View Post
What I'm worried it about is that all the articles I've read about this, is that your not entitled to a refund if this happens as it's out of the airlines control :/would being on a package holiday protect you? We wouldn't be able to afford to buy anymore flights.
If your flight is cancelled you are always entitled to a refund. It is compensation on top of the refund which might not be payable by the airline in some circumstances.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
If your flight is cancelled you are always entitled to a refund. It is compensation on top of the refund which might not be payable by the airline in some circumstances.
From what I remember Ryanair (surprise,surprise) tried not to pay this comp when they had strikes, it went to court where they won. So you may not be entitled to the additional compensation. I think it is still a very grey area though with strikes because it is all to do with if the airline had control over it.

But you are entitled to a full refund.
Old 16 Aug 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Actually Ryanair had to pay out when its pilots went on strike as it was in the airlines control to stop the strike, (ie they could have given in to the pilots demands so the strikes would have been called off. They didn't automatically do it so you had to take further action against them.

It will be the same for BA unless they cancel your flight more than 14 days in advance.

The unions could if they wanted to announce strikes dates at any time, they don't have to wait for the current talks to conclude/break down.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR

Edited at 03:06 PM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Actually Ryanair had to pay out when its pilots went on strike as it was in the airlines control to stop the strike, (ie they could have given in to the pilots demands so the strikes would have been called off. They didn't automatically do it so you had to take further action against them.

It will be the same for BA unless they cancel your flight more than 14 days in advance.

The unions could if they wanted to announce strikes dates at any time, they don't have to wait for the current talks to conclude/break down.
Ahh I am corrected, I thought that was the case but then googled it to find they won the case.

Edited at 03:29 PM.
RobandLynsey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
Talks between BA and BALPA finished earlier in the week, as far as I know BALPA are just deciding what to do next, presumably strike or re-ballot their members about the new offer.
I'm stuffed if they announce a strike now
Looks as if we may have dodged the bullet strike wise!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Seaworldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
Looks as if we may have dodged the bullet strike wise!
Going to be a nervy week for us September travellers though... not sure I’ll get much work done with the constant checking for updates
Seaworldfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Seaworldfan View Post
Going to be a nervy week for us September travellers though... not sure I’ll get much work done with the constant checking for updates
I know how you feel last week i had that horrible 'sick to the pit of your stomach' feeling just waiting for them to announce strike dates 😞. Iv only just this weekened booked our mnsshp tickets as didnt want to risk losing any more money. I really hope BALPA accept the deal and disruption to all flights is avoided. Keeping 🤞 for you and everyone else flying ba.
natanddaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by natanddaz View Post
I know how you feel last week i had that horrible 'sick to the pit of your stomach' feeling just waiting for them to announce strike dates 😞. Iv only just this weekened booked our mnsshp tickets as didnt want to risk losing any more money. I really hope BALPA accept the deal and disruption to all flights is avoided. Keeping 🤞 for you and everyone else flying ba.
Totally agree,we just bought our mnsshp tickets too!,now the wait for the return journey dates is on!,hopefully they resolve the issues without strikes
nadya is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We are in the "red zone" at the moment . Only flying BA on the outward (so just UNITE at Heathrow to worry about on the return )but it's into FLL not Orlando so plenty of options with AA either direct or indirect into MIA if the worst happens. I'm very aware our flight is very under booked as it's the last flight BA are doing LGW FLL so is prime cancellation fodder as there will be fewer passengers to re book.
What will be will be, we will get there somehow .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Seaworldfan View Post
Good luck to all that are in the same boat. It is horrible just waiting for news and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I am the least prepared for this holiday than I have ever been as I was sure it was going to affect us.

Let's hope for everyone's sake that they get it sorted, from what I have seen over the last week it is looking more promising. Ryanair may have done BA a favour by being even more hard line when it comes to negotiating (read negotiating as ignoring BALPA).