Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 19 Aug 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Matador Room looks amazing, just need an excuse to go to Miami now. Was hoping for a picture of smoking Rosemary
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Your hotel in Key West looks really nice - which hotel was it? Shame the food wasn't so great at dinner though.

Turtle hospital is on my list for next year, really want to see all the cute turtles! Will make sure to book in advance though
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Following along.

Those pizzas look good, I have never seen a star shaped pizza before.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Those pizzas looks incredible, intrigued by the star one.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Day 4 continued.
We left the turtle hospital and continued our journey to Key West.
We arrived slightly early so went for a wander up Duval Street until our room was ready.
We stayed at the southernmost Guest House which is thoroughly recommend.
It’s quite a lot cheaper than the neighbouring hotels, there’s no resort fee or parking charge and it’s spotless.
Completely spotless.
I really don’t care how sad I sound but I stood in the shower admiring the shower head for quite some time! 🤣
There wasn’t a single sign of dirt anywhere.

Anyway, as I’ve said, I love key lime pie so we headed up to Kermit’s for a frozen Key lime pie dipped in chocolate 😋
These were really good but I do think freezing drasticaly changes the texture of the pie filling and makes it less tart too.

After these, we headed back to the hotel to check in, shower and change so that we could go back out again.
It’s so, so hot!
DS cooled down in a beer fridge briefly 😆

We had quite a few ideas for places to go for dinner but there was just so much choice that we floundered for ages!
We headed up to Mallory Square for sunset and considered the Cuban place but decided on the Flaming Bouy Filet Co.

We saw a really cool floating tiki bar whilst we were in Mallory Square!

We made it to The Flaming Bouy and it looked NOTHING like the picture and it had a weird smell so we gave it a miss and walked to The Eaton Street Fish Market instead.
I like places like this.
It’s basically a fishmonger and they have a small, simple menu where you pick from the counter.
I think it was a gas station once upon a time. Certainly looks like it.
There’s a small bar stool arrangement inside and then about 4 tables outside.

We ordered way too much!
We had a spinach artichoke and crab dip, buffalo shrimp, grouper tacos, fries and 2 lobster rolls between us.
OH had a beer,DS a mandarin Jaritos and I opted for a naff Malibu pre-mixed drink!
It actually wasn’t bad!
The food was really good!
Simple but delicious.
We’d definitely go again.

By the time we’d finished up there we decided we needed to go to bed ready for our very early start in the morning.
We did stop in a couple of galleries on the way and also Kilwins for some fudge 😋
We had chocolate with coconut and a caramel turtle I think?
Well, half a slice of each as I figured DS would throw up otherwise!
I forgot to take a photo but it’s delicious fudge. Not dry and grainy at all.
Oh,and we stopped at Circle K for a few snacks. There’s no food or even running water at Fort Jefferson so OH grabbed all manor of random crap 🤷
We’d intended to get sandwiches in Publix but forgot so we’d just have to survive!
There were sandwiches in Circle K but we were really quite put off by the expiry dates... sept 3rd 🤔
It was the 17th Aug 😱

Edited at 03:45 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Omg the lobster roll ❤️❤️❤️ Excuse my ignorance but what is bubble butt? X
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Matador Room looks amazing, just need an excuse to go to Miami now. Was hoping for a picture of smoking Rosemary
I reckon I’ve got one from our last trip! I’ll hunt for it

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Your hotel in Key West looks really nice - which hotel was it? Shame the food wasn't so great at dinner though.

Turtle hospital is on my list for next year, really want to see all the cute turtles! Will make sure to book in advance though
The hotel in Duck Key was Hawks Cay. It’s really lovely.
Definitely go and see the turtles 🐢

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Following along.

Those pizzas look good, I have never seen a star shaped pizza before.
I really can’t express how good those pizzas were. The ricotta filled triangles were so light which was surprising

Old 21 Aug 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Omg the lobster roll ❤️❤️❤️ Excuse my ignorance but what is bubble butt? X

When they’ve been hit by a boat or been attacked by sharks, air can get into their shells which prevents them going under the water and their bums stick up.
This can be sorted but not if they have nerve damage too.
In the rescue centre they add weights to their shells but these drop off over time so whilst they can swim normally there, out in the wild they’d be stuffed when the weights fell off😕
One of the affected turtles is coming to the sea life centre in London 😊