Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Aug 19, 04:04 AM  
Link to this Post
GlenWa73
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Mobile

No. No batteries in the hold. Risk of fire.
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:09 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GlenWa73 View Post
I've never understood this. If they are a fire risk in the hold surely they are just as much of a risk in the cabin ? (More so in fact as they are more likely to be turned on in the cabin)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I've never understood this. If they are a fire risk in the hold surely they are just as much of a risk in the cabin ? (More so in fact as they are more likely to be turned on in the cabin)
It’s because the cabin is pressurised and hold not or at least that is what I was told but I would have thought that aerosols would be at risk of explosion in the hold.

I used to manage the it for a large plc we had loads of laptops smashed when people put them in the hold.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by GlenWa73 View Post
I have never, ever read anything about laptops being a potential fire hazard in the hold. I have also specifically searched after seeing a couple of posts on this thread claiming that it is forbidden to put laptops in the hold.

My search revealed a general consensus that it is not a good idea to put a laptop in the hold, but this is attributed to it being a valuable item. There was no mention of fire hazards and definitely nothing to say that there are any aviation rules about it. I guess if there were airlines would take steps to ensure that people don’t put laptops in the hold.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:21 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
It’s because the cabin is pressurised and hold not or at least that is what I was told but I would have thought that aerosols would be at risk of explosion in the hold.

I used to manage the it for a large plc we had loads of laptops smashed when people put them in the hold.
The hold is pressurised too. That’s where animals are carried.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

You could put the wires etc in the hold to save on space and just keep the laptop in hand luggage, but as others have said, keep the device with you.

I bought a MacBook Pro whilst in the US last month and no way would it go in the hold even if left boxed up, stays with me and our other tech (iPads, iPhones, DSLR, lenses, GoPro etc).
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

We always keep our valuables in the hand luggage. I won't take the chance that the case could be lost or opened.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have never, ever read anything about laptops being a potential fire hazard in the hold. I have also specifically searched after seeing a couple of posts on this thread claiming that it is forbidden to put laptops in the hold.

My search revealed a general consensus that it is not a good idea to put a laptop in the hold, but this is attributed to it being a valuable item. There was no mention of fire hazards and definitely nothing to say that there are any aviation rules about it. I guess if there were airlines would take steps to ensure that people don’t put laptops in the hold.
I’m no expert on the subject, but this came up around 2 years ago, the FAA conducted tests which indicated a greater risk of fire and potential explosion from Lithium batteries in hold baggage. The elevated risk is apparently related to the greater likelihood of proximity to accelerating agents such as aerosols in hold baggage, which would not occur in carry-on due to liquids restrictions.

To my knowledge there are currently no actual regulator restrictions (at least not in UK/US), but individual airlines all have their own rules restricting such batteries to a greater or lesser extent. In most situations, batteries up to a certain Watt Hour rating are allowed in hold baggage if fitted in the device, but spare batteries and power banks are not allowed. US carriers tend to be more restrictive, since the FAA recommends (but does not yet mandate) that no devices with lithium batteries are carried in hold baggage. Many US carriers have, for example, banned “smart luggage” from the hold unless the batteries can be, and are, removed.

Below are a couple of articles on the subject from back then

nbcnews/storyline/ai...-warns-n812496

businesstraveller/bu...nes-faa-warns/

Most airlines do allow laptops in hold baggage with the batteries fitted, but no spare batteries. There are exceptions, such as this recent situation:

zdnet/article/flying...ery-fire-risk/

Regardless of this, I wouldn’t do it anyway with a laptop due to other risks (damage, theft, delayed/lost baggage). I did carry some other items with lithium batteries fitted in hold baggage on BA last week, within BA rules and no issue.

Edited at 07:44 AM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Only put anything you’re prepared to lose in hold luggage.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Only put anything you’re prepared to lose in hold luggage.
Precisely this. I know too many people who have lost suitcases to trust an airline to get my valuables from A to B.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List