Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Aug 19, 01:57 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

I haven’t read the thread but I have found on this trip that tipping expectation is the worst I’ve seen with out any attempt at above “standard” service. I.e I go to a restaurant and I’m shown to my table by one person, then a second person come and says “can I get you a drink/are you ready to order” then some times the same person brings the food and smiles when putting it down, other times it’s someone else that brings it, then we don’t see them till the ask if we want desert (we never do) so they bring the check - usually with a ring round the “suggested” 20% or 22% tip with a smiley face

In years gone by the servers were over the top friendly / helpful as they were trying to earn a good tip. Now it’s like they expect it so do nothing special, the amount of times we have asked for sauce for the food (mainly ketchup for the kids) and it’s not come or we have drunk our drink and not been able to catch anyone for another is countless.

The worst was today when we ordered online for villa delivery and 18% was automatically added as a tip for the driver as standard, we could have changed it to a smaller amount but we were then worried we would get cold food or worse! I mean come on 18% tip for a pizza delivery. Even with a $10 coupon I had it put the bill at $50 for a pizza, 1 portion of Fries and 1 portion of chicken wings - terrible!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 03:08 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

As per the apparent % increase in what one should tip, who decides the increase, is it wait staff or does somebody set the ball rolling that 22%'should be the new norm, watching as the idea develops legs and running shoes? As for presenting a bill with 20-22%'ringed and a cheesy smile, that's tantamount to begging, and whilst some diners are content to tip 20% of the bill at what point will the % be enough.
Old 29 Aug 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
As per the apparent % increase in what one should tip, who decides the increase, is it wait staff or does somebody set the ball rolling that 22%'should be the new norm, watching as the idea develops legs and running shoes? As for presenting a bill with 20-22%'ringed and a cheesy smile, that's tantamount to begging, and whilst some diners are content to tip 20% of the bill at what point will the % be enough.
Exactly at what point will the % be enough, for me it’s 20%. This is my tipping point bad pun 😩 We are hoping to do a West Coast tour next year and will not go above 20%
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by OLS View Post
In years gone by the servers were over the top friendly / helpful as they were trying to earn a good tip. Now it’s like they expect it so do nothing special,
The above 100% the reason I don't think tipping should be given a % !

A couple of years ago we went to one restaurant, had three different people at various times ( including the cashier) and not one of them spoke to us. How does that justify any tip at all , let alone 18 to 20 % ? Also, the ' they are paid poorly/get taxed etc... reason is not my problem.

On the other night we went to a different one and the server was lovely, not over the top , just cheerfully, kept an eye on our refills etc... she got 20% tip. I don't care how fed up someone is, or had a rubbish day, a smile and being polite surely should be standard but as the post above if they know they don't have to try at all and still get a good tip.. who's the fools ?
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I do wonder if more expensive places will start to lose business as people will stop going there because of the higher tips as it is not worth the money or they just can't afford it.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
I do wonder if more expensive places will start to lose business as people will stop going there because of the higher tips as it is not worth the money or they just can't afford it.
I don’t think so. If you can afford a $400 meal for example,
Then the 20% to 22% increase would just cost you $8 more.

And if you worry about that $8 then you shouldn’t be there anyhow

Edited at 10:00 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post

$88 tip... I don't think so!

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Not a case of can't but rather won't...
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

On average our bill for two of us offsite was around $50/$60 I think $10 is more than enough for an hours service , times that by the amount of tables the server will deal with in an evening , if it’s as little as 10 tables that’s $100 in tips alone .thats not a bad days work when they also have a wage on top of that, even if it’s a low wage .
Some of the servers didn’t deserve anything yet we still tipped them , it’s getting to be that service is going downhill fast as the tip is expected regardless of service quality .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort

Edited at 10:38 AM.
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Edward had a face that would turn milk,brought us our drinks and cleared one lot of plates,and for that the tip was 40 bucks..I do think for a buffet that's taking the pee.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List