Notices

View Poll Results: Frequent or luxurious?
I can afford it so I go often and luxurious both 70 16.71%
I can't afford both so I prefer to go more often on a budget 213 50.84%
I can't afford both so I prefer to go less often and have luxury 136 32.46%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Feb 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

We would rather have one holiday flying club both ways, staying in a lovely villa to ourselves (just me and the wife) and not penny pinching.

If we could instead have 2 holidays flying economy, staying in a hotel on International Drive and watching the pennys, we would always opt for the one more luxurious holiday (in fact we wouldn't stay in International Drive for free).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

For me any type of holiday is a luxury. No one needs a holiday, and I can’t afford any type of holiday each year. We have a relatively low income living near London so spare cash is not around. We have holidayed in Britain too in cheap hotels but it is still expensive when eating out and entrance fees to various places.

However if I had the money I would holiday more often in cheaper places.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I think I could do both.
I like caravan holidays. Static caravans though and I don’t think I could do camping. Maybe one night I could do a tent but for me it’s the shower and toilet blocks that I don’t like more than the sleeping in the tent.

Things haven’t been good enough to go abroad often. So we started off in tents. Then static caravans for a good number of years and then this year we have Florida and a cruise (only one ☹️ Had to cancel one) then next year we have two cruises in school holiday. Dunno about 2021 though yet. Will still do static caravan at skeggy tho cos kids like that too
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I voted more often and budget. When we holidayed with our boys we stayed in cheap and cheerful hotels, there were a couple we found suited us and we happily returned in following years.
Now it’s just the 2 of us we tend to go to mid-priced places, we are comfortable with that. Not sure that I would feel as comfortable in a luxury resort.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

Difficult to reply really as both “frequent” and “luxurious” are different things to different people.

I know many people to whom being able to go on holiday anywhere once a year would be unbelievably frequent. Whilst any trip to WDW might be considered a luxury!
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m somewhere in between as we like to go each year but if we can’t afford to stay where we want, fly how we want and holiday how we want we don’t go. Like for example we went in 17,18 and going this year. However my kids are 2 & 4 so I’m not yet tied to school holiday and my son is ‘free’ being under 3. But next year they’ll be 3&5 so we have school holidays and extra ticket costs etc. So we aren’t going for a couple of years after this one as we can’t afford to stay on site and pay the extra for flights and tickets next year. We could probably stay somewhere cheaper and fly indirect or something and still go but I wouldn’t. So I guess I’m sort of less often luxury, when my hand is forced!
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Bentley
Trainee Dibber

We go often on a budget, because we choose to spend what we could use for a "luxury holidays" on our house renovation. Like Pooh Bear, I work for our holidays, I also only work term time and my husband has a generous holiday allowance. I try to balance them one on one off. So we are away for February half term. For Easter we are having a new roof…. 😊 May will go away... Summer it’s new windows. October not sure yet.

We have annual passes for Universal, IOA and Volcano Bay plus, Busch Gardens, Sea World and Aquatica. I take cereal, make packed lunches and we eat out in the evening. It works for us, and the kids enjoy themselves.

I do flight searches and try to get the best deals, so for this holiday. My husband and 1 daughter are flights and car hire, so they have the luggage allowance, and the rest of us are BA basic, hand luggage only and I used AVIOS points towards that.
Half Term -Feb'19 Half a Half term - Oct 2018 August 2018 - May 2018 - Easter 2018 - New Year 2017/18 - NY / Washington - Aug ‘17 40th B'day trip Melia White Nassau & Tuscana Resort - May ‘17 Tuscana Resort - Christmas & New Year ‘16/’17 Davenport Villa - Aug ‘16 MLR - Aug ‘15 Davenport - May ‘14 MLR - ‘78 - ‘01 Daytona

Edited at 10:58 AM.
Bentley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Ashleylvsgoofy
VIP Dibber

Hoping to visit a few times this year hopefully x going to buy an annual pass - I seem to have loads of annual leave this year so hoping to visit for a cheeky trip in April for 9 days or so.
Old 14 Feb 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I’m in between too. I love luxury holidays and try to get the best hotels I can wherever we go, but never upgrade from economy flights as I feel, for us, that would be too extravagant for our budget and would prefer to spend the extra towards another holiday.

For Florida, I prefer onsite Disney stays which may be luxurious but I couldn’t afford anything over a moderate hotel there.

We have a touring caravan and love UK breaks and holidays in this (and use the communal toilet/shower blocks with no issues) However, I also love to book a 5* hotel sometimes and do so as often as we can. This year we are trying a cheap Airbnb holiday in Croatia and it looks lovely, right by a beach, basic but comfortable. We are also visiting Vietnam where I have booked more luxurious 4-5* hotels but we are still flying economy. So I guess my answer I’d prefer lots of holidays, but in luxury if I can afford it 😀

Edited at 11:34 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ally1966 View Post
Difficult to reply really as both “frequent” and “luxurious” are different things to different people.

I know many people to whom being able to go on holiday anywhere once a year would be unbelievably frequent. Whilst any trip to WDW might be considered a luxury!
I'm asking for people's opinions in their own budget. I'm pretty sure that what I consider budget would be considered luxurious by many people who can't afford to go at all!
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List