Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 15 Aug 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizz
Getting Excited

Mobile Travel insurance and autism

Just looking at travel insurance and when I input DS1 as autistic on the sites it is bumping the premiums and is reducing the number of companies available to us.
Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?
Wizz is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Never had this issue with my 2 boys with asd,we use travelinsurance4medical, but have used explorer in the past too with no issues or extra premiums
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

I’m not sure what to put on ours. We are still going through trying to get a diagnosis for what we think is autism so he isn’t officially diagnosed with anything at the moment
xXxSammi88xXx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by xXxSammi88xXx View Post
I’m not sure what to put on ours. We are still going through trying to get a diagnosis for what we think is autism so he isn’t officially diagnosed with anything at the moment
I struggled to find companies that would cover ds for autism while he was waiting for his official diagnosis but my bank account insurance covered him for everything else and ear infection/strep throat was my main concern as he is prone to those
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

We are with nationwide and they didn't want anymore to upgrade with my DS. It was just noted on the sheet.
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Wizz
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks for the replies will have a look at the suggestions and see how we go.
Wizz is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

If you dont have a diagnosis then you dont have autism(as far as insurance companies go only &#128514 diagnosis can take years! Other than that at no point has my child ever had iincreased premiums because of it. It’s not a medical condition that requires medication or treatment.
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Our insurance is through our bank account. To add on my son's 'autism' we needed to pay £60. We opted to not have it on for the same reason as above, it doesn't require medication or treatment x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lemmonie View Post
If you dont have a diagnosis then you dont have autism(as far as insurance companies go only &#128514 diagnosis can take years! Other than that at no point has my child ever had iincreased premiums because of it. It’s not a medical condition that requires medication or treatment.
Just out of curiosity ,if anyone is awaiting tests does it not have to be declared as such ? I can understand your point about it not being a medical condition but I honestly thought that if you see your GP and are then awaiting tests it will be on your medical docs and need declaring .another point is if your child was to have a meltdown and injure themselves or anyone else would you be covered ?
I’m just wondering why some companies won’t cover for it and other companies will cover but for an added premium , I’m not disputing what you are saying but my policy clearly states that they will not cover if you are undergoing any tests and do not have a diagnosis .most companies have the same exclusions .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

Autism is a nurological delvelopment disorder rather than a medical illness, injury or condition that requires medication. Id wager that those who have told you there is a cost to cover insurance doesnt quite understand what Autism is. You wouldnt expect an extra charge if you had a speech impediment would you or if you had a squint.

Medical conditions requiring additional consideration only if you require medication or treatment for it.

My Gallbladder investigations required me telling the insurance company but was still covered.

We have medical insurance through Nationwide Flex Plus account. There was no additional charge for my son because of his autism. If he falls over during a meltdown and hurts himself he is covered.
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List