Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Sep 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sorry but you might need to check individual insurance T&Cs as you're getting a bit specific for my knowledge.

I can only quote my current policy. If we have to cancel if we get Covid within 14 days of travel we are covered for cancellation. If we travel against FCO advice we won't be covered for medical issues over there.

You might want to ring your insurer with your more specific questions I'm afraid as I simply can't advise.

Mick
Mick are you covered for cancellation if the FCO advice remains in place?

That's what I can't seem to find out. New holiday. New insurance. All booked now with covid as known event.

My existing policies are saying they won't cover cancellation if FCO advice is I'm place at time of booking.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Mick are you covered for cancellation if the FCO advice remains in place?

That's what I can't seem to find out. New holiday. New insurance. All booked now with covid as known event.

My existing policies are saying they won't cover cancellation if FCO advice is I'm place at time of booking.
This what my email today said

You may be aware that we recently upgraded our travel insurance policies to include protection for coronavirus (COVID-19) as standard. This cover applies to all policies issued on, or after 16 March 2020 for covered trips commencing on, or after 17 July 2020.
As such, we are pleased to be able to offer that upgraded cover to our existing customers at no extra cost. Your upgraded travel insurance now covers you for:
Cancelling your trip if you catch COVID-19 within 14 days of travelling* (new diagnosis only)
Emergency medical expenses abroad due to COVID-19 and repatriation to get you home** (new diagnosis whilst travelling)
Cancellation and repatriation cover if you’re denied boarding your pre-booked transportation with a positive test for COVID-19
Additional accommodation and transport if deemed necessary by our medical officer
Daily benefit if you are ordered to self-isolate in your holiday accommodation if you have COVID-19
Cancelling or cutting your trip short after death in the family from COVID-19 or if your travelling companion(s), people you live with or people you’re staying with on holiday are diagnosed with COVID-19 within 14 days of travel***

There's a further caveat on the certificate however which says cover is void if you travel against FCO advice. The FCO warning though is only in respect of TRAVELLING when FCO advice is in place. Doesn't mention being void if you book whilst FCO advice in place.

We also have their Comprehensive cover if that makes any difference.

Mick
Old 30 Sep 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Bluenose

Just to summarise - they don't make it easy do they.

We only have cancellation cover if Covid gets us up to 14 days before we travel. However if we then travel against FCO advice the policy is void anyway.

We'd never travel against FCO advice anyway because of our age and PEMCs.

Ours was an annual renewal and at the time we had Nov holiday booked and next April's flights as well.
Mick
Old 30 Sep 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Thanks Mick. I'll keep waiting. I want cancellation cover if I can't travel due to FCO advice. Lost two holidays this year - VH refunded one eventually but Ryan Air wouldn't so we bought new insurance to cover medical and travelled but mum couldn't come too due to age and PEMC so she lost her money. Insurance didn't have pandemic cover as I didn't realize it was a 'thing'. Won't take chance again!

I'll wait and book when FCO advice not in place to I can buy a full policy.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Thanks Mick. I'll keep waiting. I want cancellation cover if I can't travel due to FCO advice. Lost two holidays this year - VH refunded one eventually but Ryan Air wouldn't so we bought new insurance to cover medical and travelled but mum couldn't come too due to age and PEMC so she lost her money. Insurance didn't have pandemic cover as I didn't realize it was a 'thing'. Won't take chance again!

I'll wait and book when FCO advice not in place to I can buy a full policy.
VA cancelled our April flights on 5th April and I asked for a refund that day - refund hit my cc at the end of August only around 130 days later. About a month after I got it back from HSBC after raising a dispute.

We're now really hoping that BA cancel our Nov flight so we can get a refund. I've heard on here that they perform somewhat quicker than VA.

The last thing we want is for POTUS to open the borders, BA fly but FCO advisory stays in place - no insurance for us.

We have annual cover because usually lucky enough to go twice a year - unless it's a "C" year. Four holidays cancelled for cancers and probably two for Covid.

Mick
Old 2 Oct 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Have spoken to hotels.com and asked what would happen between the last day of you being able to cancel your holiday for free 5 days out and flying if FCO reintroduced flight ban to USA as holiday insurance would not cover you in this period

They told me that in that event they would refund or give a credit towards another date.

Bit more reassuring

Edited at 03:36 PM.
mike4scuba is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
hawk299
Getting Excited

Wow, after reading through this got a quote from staysure, family, single trip basic £160! (we normally pay ~£40) - fully comp annual was £177 though which is where the comparison should be I guess
Is this what others are seeing now (makes sense, just wasn't prepaired for that)

I think what I'll do is wait until I have to start paying the balances (May) where we should know more. Until then it's just deposit with BA with their protection and ATOL and £300 villa/hotel deposits
hawk299 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Quote QNB515 with staysure. Should give you 15% discount

Or 25% with topcashback

Edited at 09:37 PM.
mike4scuba is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
thealienwarrior
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

At the moment, Staysure are doing 15 months for the price of 12 on annual policies. I've booked for Florida in December next year. As I have 2 other holidays booked (already insured) tempted to pay for the annual premium and see if I can get any money back on the single trip covers I've already booked.

On a side note about Nationwide Travel Insurance, remember this is an insurance on a packaged account rather than an individualised policy like Staysure are. Nationwide's policy is a massive blanket policy. When getting a quote, pre Covid, to include my PEMC, it was cheaper to just buy a policy elsewhere by over £300!. To compare, the quote I got from Staysure last night was less than £300 including Covid.
Old 6 Oct 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

I thought Stay sure we're only doing FCO Covid cover for Europe and not the US?
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List