Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Aug 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Totally agree with previous comments. I often try to keep them guessing- so if they expect me to shout I am very calm and quiet. Show you are genuine, many poorly behaved pupils are testing the boundaries as they are so used to being let down. Praise, praise praise/ it’s the old thing about catching them being good. High expectations and feign disappointment when they don’t reach them. Totally agree that it’s an act.

Part of me is worried that I’ll have lost it after 6 months out of face to face teaching and another part is sure that they will be so pleased to be back in a classroom that it will be a breeze.

Please reassure your daughter that even the most experienced of us can find a difficult class hard- I now see it as a challenge and usually they become my favourite ones to teach.
Thank you for your reply, these are great tips. Dd will also be in multiple classrooms due to the subject (technical) so that’s a good point about checking the schools management of this. She’s not really a shouter but can be if necessary so that’s a great tip about doing the unexpected.

I’ve watched her teaching the Panto kids to sing and dance, she is good at praising and the kids really respond to her, obviously when 20 kids are running riot in a class it’s a bit trickier but I’m hoping it was just a bad school and a huge learning curve.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply xx
nonnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
There’s a lady on Instagram and Twitter who has recorded a series of videos. I think she’s brilliant.

Lisa Miller Education.

Completely agree with all the other suggestions people have given. Will have a read through them myself again. Pre-night nerves!
Thanks for that, dd has now followed Lisa Miller on twitter and is going to have a look at her YouTube channel as well.

Good luck for your return to the classroom! xx
nonnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Neep View Post
The Paul Dix book previously mentioned - which you have bought is a good call. Relationships are key in this. Getting to know names and who your focus should be on. Use the school behaviour/ relationships policy. Control the entry and exit of pupils and the room. Build the routines you expect and be consistent. Don’t be on your own. Use the faculty team or good listeners in the staff room.
All great points, thanks Neep. Biggest problem was the fact that she had literally no one to talk to in the school, they basically ganged up on her and it was just horrible to see her confidence being chipped away day after day.

She did say that at least she learned one thing, how never to treat students, we laugh and say well at least that’s something lol xx
Old 31 Aug 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Hi, what an awful experience, how are we supposed to get new teachers in to the profession with these experiences. My heart goes out to her as there is no fear like having to teach under a cloud of fear and intimidation, it is virtually impossible to do.

My best bit of advice would be to get your daughter to ask for a mentor. We do this at our school and I’ve actually been a mentor to 7 or 8 PGCE and NQT students. This is vital for the development of a trainee teacher. Your daughter needs someone she can go to, to get the help she needs with “that class” or “ that pupil” She needs to be able to get the advice for each situation she may face from someone who knows her strengths and weaknesses in the classroom. Not from her department would be preferable so their not caught up within department machinations. I’ve been mentor to two PE teachers, one Maths teacher, one English teacher and a Music teacher. One of the PE teachers is now on our SLT and he still tells everyone I’m his mentor hahaha 😂

If the school does not offer this then I would ask for one on an unofficial basis. We all need someone to vent too or get help from and this is even more so for a trainee. I’m sending good luck to your DD and hope she makes it through. It really is the best job in the world but by god it can be a toughy at times.
Thanks Levtweeney, there was always a mentor in her previous placements that she had a weekly meeting with, not at this school! Out of seven weeks she saw her twice and the first time was more than three weeks into the placement because dd was struggling and had already tried to speak to the dep head and had contacted her uni Lecturer. For me dd has just been incredibly unlucky and been really let down.

You sound like an fabulous mentor, hopefully she’ll have someone like you next time. To me she is a natural teacher, loves being in a classroom and generally connects with kids in a positive manner. I’d be gutted if she didn’t get her dream and I’m sure with supportive staff and reading through all these great posts etc she will get there, fingers crossed xx
Old 31 Aug 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

We had an inset with Jim Roberson, life style/discipline coach. He had some great ideas. Think he has a book.

Hope her next placement is a success, her new mentor is
supportive. She should be meeting weekly. She needs to keep her tutor informed. She needs to find out about the class, any issues, SEN, emotional needs etc she needs to know about. Read the behaviour policy and make sure she’s being consistent.

I’m afraid I teach the little ones so I don’t have any actual advice.

Become a member of a union. Sounds like she was bullied out of the last place.
Best of luck to her
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
You could look at this one
Sue Cowley ‘Getting the Buggers to Behave’ a few different editions around.
I always recommended trainee teachers considered ‘transition’ situations as these are when behaviour can be a problem. This includes starting and ending tasks, giving out materials, changing equipment etc. It is the appearance of confidence that makes it easier so be prepared to ‘fake it’ if necessary for a while.
Was going to recommend this too, also a lot of sue Cowleys videos are on YouTube and are excellent. Give them a try and best wishes
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I don't really have much else to add here. I am rather petite in stature but ask around my school and I'm up there with the top at behaviour management.

It is all down to climate and relationships and I go for the 'don't smile until November' approach too. Well for the most part.

Get to know their names and if possible a random interest. It's hard, I know but remembering that most of the challenging kids are just reflecting on what is happening at home can help your perspective. Horrible to think about, I know but if you see a dog that cowers when you approach, or put your hand out to pet - you know it's expecting to be beaten. Children are the same, you can tell when you say "Hello, X" and their instinct is a scowl and 'What?" as a response - they're used to being berated when their name is used. It will take time but if you persevere, you will get the reaction you give. You are sometimes the only person to say hello to a child. Or to smile. Heartbreaking but true. Some of the most challenging pupils in my school are up there with my favourites and see when you get them on side? They will bend over backwards for you.

Creating a calm and stable environment and yes, faking it till you make it is the best course of action. It is hard, so hard. You need to have a cracking poker face. Never let them see you sweat.

It's your room and you're the boss. If asking tricky pupils to complete a task, consider your phrasing. "Nonnie, would you open your jotter and get started please?"
There is a question there that could have 'no' as a response as it can be seen as a plea.
"Nonnie, Open your jotter and get started, Thank you."

Same thing but you've thanked them for the assumption they will do it and they can't really say no without making themselves look ridiculous.
Does that make sense?

If a child is being awkward and trying things for a crowd/trying to embarrass you, I love to pull out "Are you refusing to follow instructions?". The child does have an option here (always important). Say yes and then that's a nice and easy discipline route or (again a super high success rate) they will say "No" and get on with it.
Your children saying they are refusing tend to be those wee souls that hardly anyone can get through to and would need a more individualised strategy to support.

I wish your daughter the best but my last piece of advice is to get her to join a union. Being pushed into desks is an assault. If that happened to one of my student teachers, there would be serious incident forms completed and passed on to the campus police officer. That was a massive neglect on the part of the classroom teacher and they're lucky she didn't take it further. That's utterly outrageous.

She will be absolutely fine, plenty of us here to (overload) give her advice.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

True story , walked into class and overheard two of the “most challenging “ kids in the year
“Oh no it’s that really strict TA”
“She’s alright, she’s strict but fair and actually cares about us”
“Oh alright”
Made my day

Wee Red’s random interest suggestion reminded me of a student who had lost his Mum ,was really struggling and no one was reaching him. One day he asked me what I was doing in the holidays , I told him I was going to Vegas , he asked what I was going to do I told him I was going to see Donny Osmond (Sounded better than gambling) his face lit up “Oh my Mum loved him” so I dug around on the net and found a photo of me with Donny. Boom ! I’d hit the right chord . You never know , from then on he opened up with me. He saw me as a connection to his Mum, I just happened to mention the right thing to get that “click”. Random but very effective.

Even though I refer to it as my lion taming year there are times I wish I’d stayed for all the frustrations it was really rewarding too.

Edited at 07:53 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
janeg88
Imagineer

janeg88's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Echo lots of good advice on this thread, I'd say don't be afraid to give a bit of yourself to the pupils too. Relationships are key and if they know a little about you it makes you real.

I worked with a very challenging young person last year and that was one of the things she said to describe one of the few teachers she got along with, he's real!
janeg88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by janeg88 View Post
Echo lots of good advice on this thread, I'd say don't be afraid to give a bit of yourself to the pupils too. Relationships are key and if they know a little about you it makes you real.

I worked with a very challenging young person last year and that was one of the things she said to describe one of the few teachers she got along with, he's real!
I agree , to a point. You have to keep it real but be aware familiarity can also breed contempt and you need that bit of distance too. It’s a really fine balance.
The kids once told me they really didn’t like a particular TA (I didn’t either but I wasn’t going to let them know it) I asked why and they said they’d been playing near the local pub at the weekend all day, saw her arrive at noon and drive away at six and said she shouldn’t drink and drive (very disapprovingly) I suggested she might have been drinking orange juice , but they didn’t buy it ! Very judgemental teenagers !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List