Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 7 Nov 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I'm not sure you get what the HDR standards actually mean from your comment. DV and HDR10+ are not that different side by side (both very good), but if the content is encoded in DV and your TV doesn't support it then you only get it in a lower quality. Content isn't encoded in both of those formats with these providers.

There is a huge difference in quality back to standard HDR like ULG and by not supporting DV you only get to watch an ever increasing amount of content is lower quality. Same if your TV does not support HDR10+ but there is less content in that format to miss out on.

These standards should be at the top of the list for any TV is 2020, it about future proofing your purchase, especially when it comes.to viewing quality.
I think I understand it pretty well (but I see where I misquoted).
I wasn't referring to HDR10+ in this thread, but what DV looks like over and above static HDR. I spent a long time looking at DV content on DV capable TVs against HDR on Samsung to understand what I was losing by not having DV. The answer that I saw was minimal sided by side and zero in real life in my home. I pretty much ignored HDR10+ in reality as it looks like this doesnt really have a future.

I read much on the subject and reviews seemed to agree with my eyes. DV isnt really worth it for the vast majority of people as they simply aren't into it that much. The quality difference seems minimal at best. There are also reviews that suggest that DV content actually looked worse than HDR.
Most people concentrate on the actual content they are watching rather than the picture quality as such, and as long as the quality isnt distracting, then its good enough.
TBH, the vast majority wouldn't even miss HDR at all.
But there will be some for whom this matters as it a hobby for them.

I have spent a very long time recently looking at this and that was the conclusion I came to. Specifically because the Samsung doesnt support DV so I had to work out how big a deal it was. And it simply wasn't an issue at all when I viewed. And I spent my hard earned cash based on this. Others will choose differently.

There is no one right answer - or there would only be one TV on the market. Each of us needs to understand what we need or want from a TV, go out and look and chose for them. Some just want a basic TV that they just want to watch. Some will have a dedicated home cinema and might want what they believe to be the absolute best picture quality. Most will be somewhere in the middle. DV is important to you and others. It wasn't for me. I had other requirements that were much more important.

Edited at 07:48 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

We have a Sony 43" android set in the living room (and an LG 55 in the games room). Both are 4k have plenty of HDMI ports and from memory both support HDR (I know for sure the LG does)

They both have a decent range of apps and both support 4k from the apps.

In addition the Sony android set supports alexa integration natively
Old 7 Nov 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

The difference between ULG and Dolby Vision or HDR10+ is huge and pretty much universally agreed on.

It's like the difference between 1080p and 4K in itself. It would have to be very poorly set up to not be able to see the difference clearly.

Given it is now becoming standard at no extra cost, it would be like buying an HD TV today instead of UHD. Pointless and not future proofing.

I know you wanted QLED for the brightness and therefore had to compromise but others don't need to do that and can have both at the price point they are looking at.

Not sure why you are bringing it up, other than the fact it rules out Samsung TV's and feel the need to defend their choice to exclude it for some reason.

Edited at 08:02 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
We have a Sony 43" android set in the living room (and an LG 55 in the games room). Both are 4k have plenty of HDMI ports and from memory both support HDR (I know for sure the LG does)

They both have a decent range of apps and both support 4k from the apps.

In addition the Sony android set supports alexa integration natively
Both will support HDR ULG format for sure. That was the standard for 5 years ago. Things have moved on and will continue to do so. 8k will become the norm in a couple of years so you just buy the best you can at the time which support the best technology for the.money you want to spend at that time.

It's never a good time to buy technology as something better is always around the corner. Know many people who rent for that reason.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Anyway, don't want another thread to get heated.

My advice is that you buy when the time suits you and you should maximise on the technology to future proof your purchase.

For the OP at the price point an LED supporting all of the latest HDR formats fits that bill as manufacturers in 2020 are giving that capability.

Others have different opinions based on their own choices which is fine.

OP maybe post up some links of ones you are considering (as before I would wait for black Friday deals though).

Edited at 08:14 PM.
Old 7 Nov 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Anyway, don't want another thread to get heated.

My advice is that you buy when the time suits you and you should maximise on the technology to future proof your purchase.

For the OP at the price point an LED supporting all of the latest HDR formats fits that bill as manufacturers in 2020 are giving that capability.

Others have different opinions based on their own choices which is fine.

OP maybe post up some links of ones you are considering (as before I would wait for black Friday deals though).
Looking at the Richer Sounds website as they come recommended by many here:-

There are 3 Philips models
richersounds/tv-proj...43pus7555.html

richersounds/tv-proj...43pus7805.html

richersounds/tv-proj...43pus8555.html

Three different prices obviously, but I don't know enough about what the pricier ones give you over the cheaper models.

There are 2 Panasonic models, although the cheaper seems to lack HDR10+, the dearer smaller one is stretching the budget a bit but there might be a deal if it's thought okay.

richersounds/tv-proj...x43hx580b.html

richersounds/tv-proj...x40hx800b.html

The LG ones on the site seem to lack all the HDR options. I watch Amazon Prime and Netflix so presume I need those options.

There are Hisense TVs but they also seem to lack all the HDR options.

But I'm happy to take other recommendations. Thanks again for your time.
Loftus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 20, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
Looking at the Richer Sounds website as they come recommended by many here:-

There are 3 Philips models
richersounds/tv-proj...43pus7555.html

richersounds/tv-proj...43pus7805.html

richersounds/tv-proj...43pus8555.html

Three different prices obviously, but I don't know enough about what the pricier ones give you over the cheaper models.

There are 2 Panasonic models, although the cheaper seems to lack HDR10+, the dearer smaller one is stretching the budget a bit but there might be a deal if it's thought okay.

richersounds/tv-proj...x43hx580b.html

richersounds/tv-proj...x40hx800b.html

The LG ones on the site seem to lack all the HDR options. I watch Amazon Prime and Netflix so presume I need those options.

There are Hisense TVs but they also seem to lack all the HDR options.

But I'm happy to take other recommendations. Thanks again for your time.
In a previous wife - sorry - life i had a hi-sense and it was very good value for money.
Old 7 Nov 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a couple.of Philips although they are both AndroidTV ones. The standard OS can be a bit hit and miss, but as you won't be relying on that for apps I wouldn't be too worried there, so you could go for a lower model in the Philips.

Ambilight is a love or hate thing. Have it on for the one in the lounge, off for the one in the bedroom.

I remember looking at John Lewis for someone the other day and they had a Panasonic which would fit the bill I believe.

But those Philips prices are good.

Last year Richer Sounds did a price match guarantee in early to mid November that if the prices dropped in black Friday they would refund the difference. They were true to their word and refunded an addition £200 on the TV I bought. So maybe worth looking out for if you want to buy early.

One thing I should have checked, I take it you aren't going to be doing gaming on the TV? Some makes like LG tend to be better for this than Philips.
Old 7 Nov 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
In a previous wife - sorry - life i had a hi-sense and it was very good value for money.
Not a well known brand but actually pretty good, up there with other main stream.
Old 7 Nov 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Not a well known brand but actually pretty good, up there with other main stream.
I got ours from tesco where the ex worked so got staff discount.

That helped get my vote !