Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Nov 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
So basically if Manchester did end up doing this, any flight going to the USA does it? It's automatic and you have no choice?
It is automatic, you don't pay for it and you don't have any choice. If you look at some of the threads on Dibb you will find that people using Dublin find it really, really useful as when you arrive in Orlando you do so as a domestic passenger and no waiting in immigration.

If Manchester do apply for Pre-Clerance it will be highly unlikely that it will be available in 2021.

Edited at 09:10 AM.
DisneyCupcake is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

So basically if Manchester did end up doing this, any flight going to the USA does it? It's automatic and you have no choice?
Possibly, although airlines could possibly opt in or out. I think they’d all opt in though as most customers would see it as a boon.
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

assuming its the same as Dublin then yes you have no choice

but why would you not want to clear immigration in the 'UK' ? and arrive domestic in the US ?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
butterflymags
Excited about Disney

So when you book your flight, it is an option you pick? Since all seats aren't sold at once and everyone may not pick for pre clearance you may not get it at the airport?

Sorry for the questions but it's the first time i have heard of it. I take it there is no chance of being able to do it on my flight that's already been booked for December 2021 if Manchester start to roll it out before?
This will explain it. reverberations/dubli...-preclearance/
Old 18 Nov 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

This would be such a bonus I’d much rather clear immigration in Manchester than in Orlando when you’re just off a 9 hour flight tired and in lots of cases with very tired grumpy kids
Old 18 Nov 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
Yep the cost is a big factor.
We're in Lincoln but always flew with TC or Virgin from Manchester as it was so much cheaper than East Midlands with TUI, not enough luggage allowance either, I'm greedy with my shopping 😉
I even weigh outgoing toiletries that I always dump so I know how much extra allowance is in the packed cases as obviously I know the empty ones are just waiting for bargains / or can’t live withouts
TC were great although we only ever did premium, for extra allowance
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Possibly, although airlines could possibly opt in or out. I think they’d all opt in though as most customers would see it as a boon.
I dont think it is something that airlines can negotiate, because so far as I know the pre-clearance facility in Irish airports is because of an arrangement between the two governments and is nothing to do with airlines or airports.

Dont quote me on this, but that is my understanding of the arrangement.
Old 18 Nov 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Ive just read that in May 2015, under Obama, Heathrow and Manchester were added to a list in the US of airports that will be considered for pre-clearance facilities, and Edinburgh was added on 4th November 2016, but nothing has been heard since. I assume that was because the trump administration did nothing about it, but that might change under Biden.
Old 18 Nov 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
Ive just read that in May 2015, under Obama, Heathrow and Manchester were added to a list in the US of airports that will be considered for pre-clearance facilities, and Edinburgh was added on 4th November 2016, but nothing has been heard since. I assume that was because the trump administration did nothing about it, but that might change under Biden.
Yes it has been "talked" about for years but no action - it pops up every now and again in one forum or another.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
There’s little chance it’s coming to Manchester anytime soon.

They have to do a deal with the US authorities, set up US customs in the airport and US customs officers actually come and live here.

There was talk for years of Man being the next airport to do it after Dublin but that all went very quiet.

It would be a boon if they did it but I think we would be hearing stories of it progressing if it was happening. Last anyone heard in the media was around 2018 when it was said it was in doubt.

I could be wrong though.

If you ever go to the one in Dublin it is in its own area down an escalator- great big US flag as you go into it. The flight then lands in US as a domestic flight. So if it ever comes in, it’s not an option you would just do it.
I suspect you may be right, but if they are going to do it it will be when (if?) the extended T2 opens. However, in the treminal fly through on the Transformation web site there is no mention of a facility.
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List