Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 28 Nov 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

Resort Hotel v DVC Rental

I've never really looked into DVC rental before but looking on here and also on Daves DVC website, it seem like rental costs for a studio at BCV or BWV comes in at around the same cost as a tower room at CSR based on current prices.

What are the pros and cons of a traditional resort booking against a DVC rental?

Thanks
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

If you do a privalmor even a David's DVC rental you need to check the cancellation details, I had to cancel a private DVC booking and lost a lot of money. This was down to me, at the time I booked Covid was not heard of and and the Dibber i rented from took the hit, refunded me a small percentage of the cost and hopefully managed to bank or sell the rest.

I understood this was at my risk so was happy with the deal i did with her but i will never book privately again unless i have a contract with cancellation cover. But i will now not book anything unless its cancelable.

So you can get a good deal but beware.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We booked with Davids and they managed to re rent the points for us, with the owner’s permission so we got our money back minus an admin fee. We were happy with that but they did offer us the chance to bank the points to 2021 if we wanted
Lola is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
akhurstf1
VIP Dibber

Renting DVC points is a really great option. We’ve experienced both renting and using our own points. We discuss it on the upcoming December episode of The Great British Mickey Waffle podcast. You can find us in the podcast section on The Dibb

The episode is number 28 and will be out this Tuesday.
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post

The main advantage is price. However now is not the time I would start dabbling with DVC rentals, too much risk.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
The main advantage is price. However now is not the time I would start dabbling with DVC rentals, too much risk.
I agree, so many people have lost a lot of money this year as they didn't get refunds. I would stick to hotels at the moment.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Agreed. I’ve been looking into it though and with the current exchange rate and the free nights we would still be significantly more than CSR. That’s going with one of the “middle men” companies though. Renting privately may save a lot more but increases the risk beyond what I’m comfortable with.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

In non-COVID times, this would be my list of booking direct with Disney vs DVC rental pros/cons. With the caveat that I've never done DVC rental but have looked into it a few times...

Pros of booking direct with Disney vs DVC rental
- Booking made by you, easier to make any changes to the booking. Depending on the terms of the DVC rental you may not even be able to make any changes to the booking.
- Cancellation terms as as per regular Disney cancellation terms which are very generous (Disney USA room only bookings are usually fully refundable up to 5 days before check in)
- Can usually get rooms even at short notice, v.s. DVC rooms that tend to book up early. If you tend to book later than earlier, DVC tends to have very limited availability the few times I've looked into it.

Cons of booking direct with Disney vs DVC rental
- Price!

That being said, like the other posters here I'd stay far away from DVC rentals for the moment until the situation is more stable. There are a lot of people saying they had issues with DVC rentals and refunds this year due to COVID-19...
Old 29 Nov 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks to all who have responded.

As posted in the similar thread, we are hoping to go in October 2021 so I'm not rushing into a decision yet. I'm not fussed about DDP so the main thing for me is if there are any hotel offers that come up over in the next few months as the current deals only run until September.

If there are some decent deals and some of the other hotels open up then we'll work the figures again and see what works best.

I appreciate the comments regarding the risk of DVC rentals although it appears using a reputable middle man may reduce those risks, albeit that they charge a little more.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonkeyCentreArf View Post
Thanks to all who have responded.

As posted in the similar thread, we are hoping to go in October 2021 so I'm not rushing into a decision yet. I'm not fussed about DDP so the main thing for me is if there are any hotel offers that come up over in the next few months as the current deals only run until September.

If there are some decent deals and some of the other hotels open up then we'll work the figures again and see what works best.

I appreciate the comments regarding the risk of DVC rentals although it appears using a reputable middle man may reduce those risks, albeit that they charge a little more.
A reputable middle man is good under normal circumstances but is no safer at the moment. I've read elsewhere throughout the year that people didn't get refunds by booking through middle men. The contract says no refunds and they're not budging even though UK visitors can't get there so people are losing thousands of pounds. So I'd advise caution if you don't want to lose your money. Or if you do go ahead make sure you get insurance which covers it.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List