Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Dec 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Ive just bought my 14 yr old dd her second phone for xmas. Her old phone was a sony. Its now having problems charging and reading sd card, so knock on problems with storage. More the way its used than sony fault.

When discussing new phones she told me most of her friends have iphones or Google pixel. People apparently say the sony looks like a brick due to squared corners.

On her priority list were the most up to date operating system, make, storage. Samsung was a comprise as I would not buy an iPhone or Google as I see how she treats it when annoyed.

She uses WhatsApp for group chats which works for ios and android.

I was avoiding chinese makes due to the current rumours about huwai coming off Android and worry that might spread to other chinese brands.

Good luck choosing.
DFussy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I have an Honor and my DD a Huawei. My youngest a Samsung a10.

I would steer away from Honor /Huawei and would suggest those that currently have one may wish to consider upgrading away from them at the next opportunity. The Google / US restrictions are starting to impact now and they will no longer receive updates or be supported for Google. My Gmail is starting to have problems.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by discoclare View Post
Oh man do all the kids have iPhones?
Yep, maybe you could pickup something like an iPhone 7 second hand for her. Most secondary school kids have Iphones, surprised how many even have an iPhone 12
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We/ve used Music Magpie a few times to get second hand phones and they've all been of a good standard.
Old 2 Dec 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2waterford View Post
Yep, maybe you could pickup something like an iPhone 7 second hand for her. Most secondary school kids have Iphones, surprised how many even have an iPhone 12
I disagree that most have iPhones. It's probably a 50:50 split as seen on here.

It really depends on what their parents have.

My kids, my niece and nephews and friends kids all have Android. That's what us parents have.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Last survey I saw was from a couple of years ago where it was 54% Android to 46% iPhone for 7 to 16 year olds.

I'm sure there will be regional variances due to affordability etc. But around our way that would be in the ball park.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

DS and most his friends have Samsung. DS is a galaxy we bought from Argos just as it came out last year £175. He's in year 10
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 20, 05:05 AM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

DS has an iPhone XR which is due for upgrade in January. He is happy with his phone though so I will switch him to a sim only contract.

DD1 has a Samsung s8 but has asked for a new phone for Christmas this year as hers is dying a slow death.

DD2 has an iPhone 7, and has also asked for a new phone.

Luckily both mine and DH contracts are up so we have upgraded them both to iPhone 11. Got a really good deal as an existing customer on 3 for both phones.
Old 3 Dec 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Just bought my son an iPhone se. He starts high school in September so it’s part of getting him ready to be independent and walk to school. Most of his class have iPhones (admittedly hand me downs) but our family all have iPhones and I want to be able to track him whilst he gets used to walking on his own etc. I was on an open afternoon at school last year when one opinionated child states that she wouldn’t be seen dead with an iPhone XR (girl aged 9-10 at the time). Hate the pressure kids can be under. Getting a new one made sense to me as I need to be able to insure it as I know it’s only a matter of time before it is dropped or lost!
Old 3 Dec 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We’ve all got iPhones - DD14 has a new SE and DS12 has a 6S. I like that I can see where they are (not that I’m spying &#128580. They both had there own phones once they started secondary school - they had no need for them at primary. DS will probably change his next summer, as he’ll have had it 2 years.