Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 3 Feb 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
be1985
Trying for More Ears

October 2020 - please take a look - updated

We are going for the first time this October with our 5 year old son splitting our stay between AKL and the Polynesian. Would completely appreciate any feedback or advice.

Our plan is perhaps a little MK heavy, but we are planning to return in a few years when the Star Wars rides might be more of an interest. We will certainly visit Galaxy's Edge and maybe grab a snack this time.

I've put our planned FPs in italics. We are hoping to finish our days early afternoon to have time at the resorts.

If it makes any difference we aren't on any dining plan (although am considering). We haven't been before so can't really gauge whether it is worth it or not. We aren't huge eaters although we are doing a lot of table service meals.

Thanks for having a look!

Day 1 - Magic Kingdom - Sleepy Hollow and Room Service
7DMT, Little Mermaid, Winnie the Pooh
Peter Pan, Mad Tea Party, Carousel, Meet Mickey Mouse

Day 2 - Hollywood Studios - 50s Prime Time Cafe - Mara
Runaway Railway, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Toy Story Mania
Muppet Vision 3D, Disney Jr Dance Party, See Mike and Sulley

Day 3 - Resort Day - evening meal at Teppan Edo Not sure what evening meal to do here. Thought potentially about Ohana again or 50s Prime time? Also thought about Spirit of Aloha? Potentially spend afternoon at Fort Wilderness or similar.

Day 4 - Late Start, breakfast at Chef Mickey, afternoon at Animal Kingdom
Festival of the Lion King, Navi River

Day 5 - Animal Kingdom - Restaurantosaurus for Dinner, Mr Kamals and other QS during the day
Kiliminjaro, Navi River, Kali River Rapids
Pandora Rangers, Winged Encounters, Mickey's Adventure Outpost

Day 6 - Magic Kingdom - Sleepy Hollow and Pecos Bills
Jungle Cruise, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Pirates of the Caribbean
See Trolley Show, parades and Swiss Family Robinson possibly Tom Sawyer Island

Day 7 - Epcot - Garden Grill and Katsura Grill
Test Track, Livin on the Land
Advanced Training Lab and Matsuriza

Day 8 - Magic Kingdom and move to Polynesian - Sleepy Hollow and Ohana
Buzz Lightyear, Peter Pan's Flight, Seven Dwarfs
Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Let the Magic Begin, Splash Mountain

Day 9 - Resort Day at Polynesian - Ohana for breakfast and for dinner!

Day 10 - Last day! Leave around 1pm. Morning at Magic Kingdom
be1985 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

How exciting for you all, I love a first trip plan. Your plan looks good but I’ve noticed you haven’t planned a water park? These can be great fun and a change from the main parks.

Also, you have seemed to fp some attractions that don’t need fp such as Monsters Inc Laughter Floor, Festival of the Lion King, Indiana Jones show. Shows especially don’t need fp’s as there is plenty of seating. Whereas you haven’t used a fp for Splash Mountain which has longer queues so I would swap your Laughter Show fp for that.

You haven’t got a fp for Flights of Passage? I’m guessing that’s because your 5 year old is too small. Plus you only have 2 FPS booked for AK, consider booking the third, we always try to use all our fp’s each day even if it’s for a show (I know I said it wasn’t necessary but it’s better to use the fp allowance I feel) Dinosaur always has long queues so we fp this (depending on if you want this for your 5 yo)

The day you are unsure of where to eat, I would definitely choose somewhere you haven’t tried before such as Teppan Edo. However good the food is at a restaurant, we like to go to different ones each day as there is so much choice onsite. I haven’t been to Teppan Edo but it is a very popular choice here on the Dibb.

If you aren’t big eaters and don’t have the free dining plan, it probably isn’t worth paying for.

I hope you have a great time. The best tip I would give is, although plans are really helpful, if any of you are tired or need a break take one don’t worry about missing a fast pass slot or even changing a whole day’s plan if you feel you want to. It’s a great holiday but can be very tiring and most people find their plans change as the holiday goes on. You can usually manage early mornings for the first 3-4 days, then gradually start making plans for later evenings after that. Have fun 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi,

My thoughts and comments.

Day 1 - I would swap Little Mermaid with Peter Pan. Mermaid doesn't usually need a FP+

Day 2 - I would put HS 4/5 days into the vacation if you aiming for a MMRR FP+(if there is one). The chances of getting a FP+ for MMRR on your second day will be slim. Same with Slinky Dog and Smugglers.
Indiana Jones does not really need a FP+ as it is a huge theatre.

If you use the fast pass availability checker to see how busy your first days are. 60+1, 60+2 etc
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/fas...ailability.php

Teppan Edo is one of the best restaurants at Epcot. Spirit of Aloha I would do on your next trip.

Fort Wilderness is nice but again I would do that on your next trip when looking for something else to do.

Day 6 - Monsters Inc you won't need FP+ for.

I would do 7 Dwarfs or Splash Mountain.

You are doing MK 3.5 days EP 1 day HS 1 day AK 2 days

I would convert your resort days into more HS/Epcot days
I think you will need more time because of all the new rides.
Also
HS to fit in all the shows needs more time.
Epcot because it is so big needs more time.
Book FPs and ADRs for all your days and if decide you just want to spend all day at the resort then just cancel.

Edited at 09:44 PM.
AliceCooper9 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
be1985
Trying for More Ears

Thanks so much for your responses. This is truly unlike any other holiday I've booked before!

I'll definitely make all the changes for FPs (swapping HS day, extras on resort day, swapping out the shows). We aren't booking FOP (5 year old isn't tall enough) and as he gets truly freaked out at the Natural History Museum I think Dinosaur would be next level terror so we will give it a miss. Blizzard Beach looks amazing, I might keep that 'off schedule' for now but as our first choice if we finish something early or get bored of the resort pool.

Thanks also for the advice Daffodil about changing plans. Above all else I want us to have a magical time and enjoy being together - which I know isn't going to happen if we are all tired! When I booked I honestly didn't quite understand why people go year after year, but just having read up here I can see there is SO much to do and I imagine each visit is slightly more relaxed.

Teppan Edo remains. Just need something to do now in the very long run up!
be1985 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post

My thoughts.

Day 1: Definitely don’t FP the Mermaid ride. You possibly won’t get 7DMT on your first day. If your son is tall enough I would consider the Mountains.

Day 2: Don’t think you will get the new ride on day 2 and probably not Slinky or Smugglers Run either. I would not use a fastpass on a show. I would pick Aliens as one of your Tier 2 passes.

Day 3: I would book FPs for somewhere anyway, you might not feel like a resort day so early on.

Day 4: Personally I would line Chef Mickeys up on a MK day, or perhaps when you are at the Poly for extra convenience. Likewise if you go to ‘Ohanas might as well go whilst you are at the Poly. I’d drop the Lion King FP and think about others like Dinosaur, Everest (subject to height and bravery!), it’s Tough to be a Bug is ok.

Day 5: No comment

Day 6: I would drop Jungle Cruise and Monsters Inc, you can get these on the day. I would repeat mountains, 7DMT or Peter Psn as these are the hardest to get on the day. Also you probably won’t have got 7DMT yet as not usually available on first day.

Day 7: Finding Nemo perhaps for third one.

Day 8: No comment

Day 9: Again I would book FP for every day.

Regarding the dining plan, obviously you would need to purchase it now. I have had two trips planned with no free dining, last year we decided to pay cash and I liked the flexibility of not having to count my credits and being able to choose whatever I wanted off the menu. On the other hand I found I couldn’t justify the cost of character meals in particular and the cost of snacks, water etc mounts up. In December this year I have decided to purchase a dining plan and will do lots of character meals, steaks and lobsters. To be honest, I don’t know whether it is better to have the plan or not, I think there are pros and cons.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by be1985 View Post
Thanks so much for your responses. This is truly unlike any other holiday I've booked before!

I'll definitely make all the changes for FPs (swapping HS day, extras on resort day, swapping out the shows). We aren't booking FOP (5 year old isn't tall enough) and as he gets truly freaked out at the Natural History Museum I think Dinosaur would be next level terror so we will give it a miss. Blizzard Beach looks amazing, I might keep that 'off schedule' for now but as our first choice if we finish something early or get bored of the resort pool.

Thanks also for the advice Daffodil about changing plans. Above all else I want us to have a magical time and enjoy being together - which I know isn't going to happen if we are all tired! When I booked I honestly didn't quite understand why people go year after year, but just having read up here I can see there is SO much to do and I imagine each visit is slightly more relaxed.

Teppan Edo remains. Just need something to do now in the very long run up!
Haha definitely don’t ride Dinosaur then 😂 As your little one is 5, you will have to miss a few rides but there is so much to see and do you really won’t mind that.

You can always pencil in an extra HS or water park day and if you do feel it’s too much, then miss it out.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 20, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Simba and nala
Trying for More Ears

How have you bases this day/ park selection.

We go in Oct I’m still waiting for park hours before planning
Simba and nala is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
be1985
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Thank you all! I'll move around our fastpasses. Would I be mad to throw a third hotel into the mix? I was thinking of swapping a few nights from AKL to Wilderness Lodge. I was hoping for extra nights at the Poly but I can't see rooms available on the US website for our dates so assuming they are all gone and no more will be released.

Simba - I based our days on the predictions from Touring Plans. We are on holiday for our ADR day so won't have much time to plan around then. I thought I would just swap days I have more info. I'm not quite convinced of EMH though - some people seem to think it makes the part much busier?

This time we will skip the dining plan as I'd hate the idea of us all eating for the sake of the credits. My husband would likely end up having to eat all those quick service meals for the three of us!

Thanks Claudette, I'll move out HS day. Perhaps changing with our Animal Kingdom half day. Will post our updated plan later today. Thanks everyone!
Old 4 Feb 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post

I would not bother with a third hotel especially if they are AKL and WL, these two are pretty similar anyway.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If you go to Wilderness Lodge try Storybook Dining ifyour 5 year old likes Snow White Story.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List