Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 23 Feb 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
dining plan and renting DVC

Can you buy DDP if you rent DVC points? Also what about park tickets could I use say ATD TO BUY
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Yes you can get DDP but you have to arrange through the DVC owner and will be charged the dollar price.

As to tickets you can buy whatever you want from whomsoever you choose.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Not many owners get the dining plan. This is because it’s $78 a person, personally we spend nothing like $312 a day on food paying OOP- probably half of that.
Old 24 Feb 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
Yes you can get DDP but you have to arrange through the DVC owner and will be charged the dollar price.

As to tickets you can buy whatever you want from whomsoever you choose.
As VHM said, yes, but please price it up, I really can't understand how anyone makes it cost effective.

As we have California Grill Brunch and Shula's booked for this trip, and will probably buy a refillable mug I did the sums again the other week and still can't make it seem viable for us, I'm sure it's all down to individual's choice of restaurants of course, but for us it's WAY off what we spend on food, eating and drinking what we want, when we want.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Try distripplanner

Don’t overestimate how much you’ll eat. For example will you really need 2 snacks a day etc?

Will you really want table service every single night for 14 days or would you like some days to be more relaxing and off the cuff?

Do you really want appetisers, what is usually a large main course and dessert every meal? We don’t eat the desserts so another reason why DDP is a bad idea for us.

With DVC remember also even studios have a mini kitchen. Many people now get an Instacart etc delivery, at least of breakfast items. Nowadays (mainly for health reasons and we prefer it) we have a sandwich a lot of days- we either come back from the park as we are rope droppers and leave around lunchtime often, or take sandwiches in, in little cooler bags. Also drinks.

People say they can’t be bothered making up a few sandwiches on holiday, but it takes much less time usually than queuing and hanging around for quick serve- and it’s healthier. Appreciate though those who don’t go much may not want to do this though.

Even if you are buying a quick serve, it’s very hard to make DDP pay.

I once ran a survey on a popular DVC Facebook group- 600+ votes and circa 25% only paid for dining plan.

We tend to eat table service every other day on average. Buy 3 refillable mugs between 4 of us, as my wife doesn’t drink it much so we share. Buy bottled drinks via instacart and take them in most of the time. Including all the shopping we buy (including drinks, sun tan cream, breakfast stuff, milk, butter, coffee , snacks, fruit etc- spend up to $200) and the mugs, we usually spend on average well under $150 a day for 4 including the food and drink shopping, so less than half what dining plan would cost.

So over say 10 days if I was buying dining plan I’d basically spend about another $800 unnecessarily.

I do not get the ‘convenience’ argument at all; its all chargeable to the magic band anyway.

Usually when you agree to give a company all your money upfront, you get a hefty discount in exchange. With DDP as it is now, you struggle to get back what it would cost you in cash- crazy.

If they offered DVC members a 20%+ discount on it I may consider it- but that’s the only thing that would tempt me.

Edited at 10:05 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Try distripplanner

Don’t overestimate how much you’ll eat. For example will you really need 2 snacks a day etc?

Will you really want table service every single night for 14 days or would you like some days to be more relaxing and off the cuff?

Do you really want appetisers, what is usually a large main course and dessert every meal? We don’t eat the desserts so another reason why DDP is a bad idea for us.

With DVC remember also even studios have a mini kitchen. Many people now get an Instacart etc delivery, at least of breakfast items. Nowadays (mainly for health reasons and we prefer it) we have a sandwich a lot of days- we either come back from the park as we are rope droppers and leave around lunchtime often, or take sandwiches in, in little cooler bags. Also drinks.

People say they can’t be bothered making up a few sandwiches on holiday, but it takes much less time usually than queuing and hanging around for quick serve- and it’s healthier. Appreciate though those who don’t go much may not want to do this though.

Even if you are buying a quick serve, it’s very hard to make DDP pay.

I once ran a survey on a popular DVC Facebook group- 600+ votes and circa 25% only paid for dining plan.

We tend to eat table service every other day on average. Buy 3 refillable mugs between 4 of us, as my wife doesn’t drink it much so we share. Buy bottled drinks via instacart and take them in most of the time. Including all the shopping we buy (including drinks, sun tan cream, breakfast stuff, milk, butter, coffee , snacks, fruit etc- spend up to $200) and the mugs, we usually spend on average well under $150 a day for 4 including the food and drink shopping, so less than half what dining plan would cost.

So over say 10 days if I was buying dining plan I’d basically spend about another $800 unnecessarily.

I do not get the ‘convenience’ argument at all; its all chargeable to the magic band anyway.

Usually when you agree to give a company all your money upfront, you get a hefty discount in exchange. With DDP as it is now, you struggle to get back what it would cost you in cash- crazy.

If they offered DVC members a 20%+ discount on it I may consider it- but that’s the only thing that would tempt me.
Very useful post thank you
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Very useful post thank you
Let us know what you calculated v dining plan. Most people need to be doing lots of character meals and always eat desserts, want snacks and drink alcohol every meal to make it pay. If you don’t do the character meals, have kids under 21 or an adult who doesn’t really drink (Mrs YT) - I am all 3- then my figures don’t come close, even eating quick serve and TS every day.
Old 24 Feb 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We were there last week and added up everything we spent on food on and off site, it came to about £600.

We didn’t scrimp at all and had plenty of snacks in the parks.

Out of interest I priced up adding ddp to our dvc week in May and it would have cost us £1000 extra against what we spent this time.

We also found it was much more relaxing not having ddp.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Let us know what you calculated v dining plan. Most people need to be doing lots of character meals and always eat desserts, want snacks and drink alcohol every meal to make it pay. If you don’t do the character meals, have kids under 21 or an adult who doesn’t really drink (Mrs YT) - I am all 3- then my figures don’t come close, even eating quick serve and TS every day.
I did two this has one snack the other has two an addition approx $110

Covering TS every night, which we probably would not have but thought I’d error on the side of caution

I can see now how, having done the dining Plan many times, how you eat more than you need. The key is, having a studio etc to prepare foods to take. Many of the TS I chose would possibly go to QS and breakfast, we would have in the room.

This has been interesting. Can save a lot of money.

It was for 11 nights

Edited at 04:09 PM.
Old 24 Feb 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I did two this has one snack the other has two an addition approx $110

Covering TS every night, which we probably would not have but thought I’d error on the side of caution

I can see now how, having done the dining Plan many times, how you eat more than you need. The key is, having a studio etc to prepare foods to take. Many of the TS I chose would possibly go to QS and breakfast, we would have in the room.

This has been interesting. Can save a lot of money.

It was for 11 nights
Yes so even erring on the side of caution you’d be nearly $500 down. This is why most DVC owners stay well clear of it. I’d wager you won’t spend as much as you’ve put in, either.