Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Feb 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Car Insurance price hike

So my renewal came in yesterday. As expected Aviva wanted around 25% more than last year. Current ones always want more then try to discount when you phone to cancel. So off I went to do my usual fact finding. Cashback sites, insurance comparison sites etc. However this time no matter the route I try the cheapest will still be 20% more than this year.

Nothing has changed other then me getting a year older (although not a significant insurance year).

I know from my work colleagues that I don't have much to complain about price wise. Its still only £180 for the year with protected no claims etc but its still a jump from previous years. There should be a £10 cashback from Topcashback on that but prices do seem to have rocketed.

Definately found this year that the big cash back amounts from Quidco or topcashback have increased their prices to build in the cashback. Their quotes were all around the £300 with £80 cashback.

Changed days from when OH took out car insurance one year with I think it was either Orange or Easyjet. One of them had a brief jump into car insurance. Anyway her premium was £80 for the year with £100 cashback from Quidco. She got paid £20 for having a free policy!
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mine has also leapt up this year, so much so I ditched them. This was in their letter:-

The annual premium this year will be £657.45.
Last year your premium was £571.85.

You have been with us for a number of years. You may be able to get the insurance cover you want at a better price if you shop around. It is important you check your level of cover is still suitable for your needs.

I have full no claims, protected no claims, Son is also on my Policy but he has 12 yrs no claims. Legal protection but not breakdown cover. 8000 miles per annum and parked on my driveway overnight.

Gone with General Accident for £569.04

I did it via Compare the Market as I wanted the free cinema thing

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

I am with LV and my policy is up to. I have been looking at all the comparison sites and the independent (Aviva and Direct Line) and the cheapest with the same degree of cover is The Post Office.

Was the same with house insurance again with LV but switched to Tesco.

Loyalty counts for nothing these days.
Old 23 Feb 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

My renewal was down about 15% in September, with Admiral.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Will be phoning Admiral up when I get back home from work, mine has been all over the place for the last 3 years but usually they bring it down after a phone call.

Mine was £576 last year and they have jumped it up-to nearly £700 this year, I've went on some comparison sites and I'm getting quoted below £500 so I'll just hit them with that and see if they can get me there or there about.

My insurance is high anyways as I have a stupid car, 6.2 Litre V8 Mercedes C63 Edition 507, not exactly saving the planet, my car tax is even worse haha.
Old 23 Feb 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I work in the Insurance industry. The cheapest prices are usually by going direct. We sell via cash back sites too but the prices obtained from these are usually higher to compensate for the cash back we have to pay.

£180 is about as low as it gets. A lot of insurers won’t offer quotes below this on their systems.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Do5-BaG View Post
Will be phoning Admiral up when I get back home from work, mine has been all over the place for the last 3 years but usually they bring it down after a phone call.

Mine was £576 last year and they have jumped it up-to nearly £700 this year, I've went on some comparison sites and I'm getting quoted below £500 so I'll just hit them with that and see if they can get me there or there about.

My insurance is high anyways as I have a stupid car, 6.2 Litre V8 Mercedes C63 Edition 507, not exactly saving the planet, my car tax is even worse haha.
To be fair for the high performance vehicle that does not seem too bad. Fortunately I get mine through the company on a fleet policy.

Prices are continuing to go up as the cost of claims is rising- thefts up, lots of fraud, and layering of claims with iffy rehab, dodgy credit hire and inflated repairs, recovery etc.

Edited at 11:26 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
I'm with Churchill, so is my husband. We both renew at different times but for both of us they increased the amount for renewal by quite a bit.

We did a search on comparison sites and found the best comparable deal. We then phoned Churchill and asked them to match it - which they did for both of us. As I said, this was at different times of year and they did it for both of us - in fact mine was quite a bit better than the one I'd found as it included a lower excess and lower windscreen charges.

Definitely worth a go, and easier than switching!
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

We’re looking into this too at the moment.

We have all three cars and our home insurance on a multi policy with Admiral.

DH called them as we had cheaper quotes elsewhere, they were able to come down on their prices except for DS (almost 22) car.

We were always advised to add DH onto DS policy as a named driver as this would reduce his premium but they actually told him that it was costing an extra £116 to have him on the policy!

It looks like DH and I will stay with Admiral but DS can get much better elsewhere.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
What I like when you switch now is the fact they can hunt out proof of your no claims without you having to ask for it from your current provider.
Not in every case but certainly with a lot of them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List