Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Oct 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Wi-fi doesn’t work like that. You can only tether your a mobile signal.
Most modern phones have WiFi sharing as well as cell signal tethering.
( Great in hotels/public wifi that require a sign in page for them connecting to devices that can't cope with this - Alexa , Chromecast etc. )

Depends how clever the airline are at detecting it. If there is money involved I would imagine they are actively deterring it.
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Please could I ask them politely to switch of any audible alerts as it's really annoying sitting next to someone who phone beeps continuously.
I always find it so weird that a phone elicits a load of tuts from people even though people all around are talking loudly, giggling, crying and so on.

My phone is always set to silent, at home/work/plane, and I get the alerts via a vibrate but even with that, I was typing an email (again, silently) during the last flight and a lady felt the need to walk over and ask me why I couldn't leave the technology off for a while. I mean, MYOB right?

no offence meant to anyone by the way again, I know I'm in the minority
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
I always find it so weird that a phone elicits a load of tuts from people even though people all around are talking loudly, giggling, crying and so on.

My phone is always set to silent, at home/work/plane, and I get the alerts via a vibrate but even with that, I was typing an email (again, silently) during the last flight and a lady felt the need to walk over and ask me why I couldn't leave the technology off for a while. I mean, MYOB right?

no offence meant to anyone by the way again, I know I'm in the minority
I turn my phone off when I go to security and don't turn it back on until I get in the hire car but if I did use it on the plane and someone said that to me in all honesty they'd get a curt reply.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
I turn my phone off when I go to security and don't turn it back on until I get in the hire car but if I did use it on the plane and someone said that to me in all honesty they'd get a curt reply.
I would also give a curt reply. I do not object to anyone else using technology or wifi. I only object to the noises.

Planes are small places, everyone is under stress, we should all do what we can to limit the stress on others.

Edited at 12:14 PM.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I would also give a curt reply. I do not object to anyone else using technology or wifi. I only object to the noises.

Planes are small places, everyone is under stress, we should all do what we can to limit the stress on others.
Actually I'm never under stress on a plane.. It's one of the few times I can chill and and read to my hearts content
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Does anyone know if the WiFi on the aircraft is able to support a FaceTime call? We are thinking of trying to FaceTime some family whilst we are over the Atlantic 😀
Budmiester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sharon0502
Helping Mickey

sharon0502's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
OP I totally understand why your daughters want wifi and I know it's not what you are asking but for me I just love not having wifi, not being contactable and getting into my own space for a few hours.

Please could I ask them politely to switch of any audible alerts as it's really annoying sitting next to someone who phone beeps continuously.

Hope you have a good flight.
Unfortunately wth a child with autism wifi is a necessity, a part of life we just live with.
And both my daughters never have sound on only silent.
sharon0502 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sharon0502
Helping Mickey

sharon0502's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
it's something like the below... so for the messaging use you MAY get away with the messaging pass.

I usually get wifi MAX and it generally works pretty well! there will be patches of time when it just goes off but it usually comes back a few minutes later.

Charges for WiFi on our A330, A340 and 747 aircraft
WiFi Light £4.99 for an hour's browsing
WiFi Max £14.99 for unlimited use for the entire flight, there's no data cap
Messaging pass £2.99 for messaging only throughout the entire flight, no videos or photos

Charges for WiFi on our 787 aircraft
WiFi Light £4.99 for 40Mb of data, perfect if you just want to do a little bit of browsing
WiFi Max £14.99 for 150Mb of data, plenty for heavier users
Thank you so much
sharon0502 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sharon0502 View Post
Unfortunately wth a child with autism wifi is a necessity, a part of life we just live with.
And both my daughters never have sound on only silent.
I know you and most other people are very considerate.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

I can only attest to my experience of the GoGo Internet wifi on the Virgin 747's... am pretty sure the max package (i.e. for the entire flight) is now over £20 (it used to be £14.99).

I have streamed YouTube videos / used BBC iPlayer & ITV player (both through a VPN) without any issues. Yes, you got the occasional bit of buffering, but nothing that was unreasonable.

About 3 or 4 times during the flight the connection drops completely whilst the antennae in the radome switch from one satellite to another. This only takes a minute or two on average.

I'll certainly be using the wifi a week today to watch the end of the Rugby World Cup final now that England have made it through.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List