Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 17, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
There isn't a week goes by when I'm not adding funds to my parent pay account... since Lilly went back to school last week I've paid £51 for young voices tickets, £8 for Christmas card design, £5 for poppies and wristbands and next week will be children in need donation,shes only in primary but I suck it up each time and just roll with it, God knows how much it will cost me if she does work experience in a few years time but I'd rather pay than her miss out on an opportunity.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Assuming it is a genuine cost - why would you not pay it?
For a start he is doing work experience at my husband's hotel so he already has risk assessments in place for such thing but they still want me to pay you don't pay for something u already have and isn't this part of a teachers job? Um yes I used to be one!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by The Hardys View Post
For a start he is doing work experience at my husband's hotel so he already has risk assessments in place for such thing but they still want me to pay you don't pay for something u already have and isn't this part of a teachers job? Um yes I used to be one!
It isn’t part of my job and nor would I take work experience on - it’s apparently a nightmare.
Reereef is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 17, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Lots of schools have stopped work experience over the last few years, mainly due to cost. Risk assessments have to be carried out each year as far as I remember. It used to be one of those things that the Local Authority funded but has been pushed back to schools with no funding.
I guess your school have decided to continue with it but to pass some of the costs on.
Schools are facing a real funding crisis at the moment and I think we will see more things been charged for.
Old 11 Nov 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Sure when our son did his they had a generic risk assessment that all the workplaces on the school list had already completed. If they chose to go elsewhere the place they went to had to complete it or they couldn't go. My son chose to go to a bakery because they got their choice of cakes to take home every day. Fat lot of good it did him, literally
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

I'm glad my 2 are through the school system and did work experience before the red tape strangled it.

Not sure how many Florida trips that a parent has been on has a bearing on if they should pay for a risk assessment though.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 17, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Lots of schools have stopped work experience over the last few years, mainly due to cost. Risk assessments have to be carried out each year as far as I remember. It used to be one of those things that the Local Authority funded but has been pushed back to schools with no funding.
I guess your school have decided to continue with it but to pass some of the costs on.
Schools are facing a real funding crisis at the moment and I think we will see more things been charged for.
Thank you for a nice answer.
Yes i feel they pass a lot on these days too much though it would of been nicer if they had said something like u in the letter rather than you need to pay this!
Old 11 Nov 17, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Not sure how many Florida trips that a parent has been on has a bearing on if they should pay for a risk assessment though.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
Old 11 Nov 17, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

When I was at school, only a few years ago, work experience was cut for our year because the school didn't have the funds for it. Our job interview experience day was also cut due to lack of funds. I think both of these things would have given me a bit more confidence for when I got my first real job. It's a shame that schools are either not funding them at all or are expecting parents/guardians too. Not all parents/guardians will be able to afford it.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
PENELOPE
Imagineer

It's a charge that the school has to pay, times it by all pupils in the year and it soon adds to £9k, last yr at our sch a council dept carried out all the checks and risk assessments, we still spent hours processing the paperwork, if we'd of had to do the checks as well then they wouldn't have done it. This yr we have to pay for the agency to do it, I think charging is a good idea and will mention it as an idea for the future
PENELOPE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List