Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Roses and black spot.

I seem to have to treat my roses at least once a year, sometimes twice.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there no way to permanently prevent it?

I remove all the affected leaves and get rid of them, I don't let them drop, then I spray the plant all over.

Any tips or is this just regular maintenance.

Thank you from a very rubbish gardener!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

If it’s any consolation, it’s the same for us. Will follow with interest
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I get rust rather than black spot but have noticed a strange thing on my unaffected rose.
The flowers and leaves seem to be smaller now than they were and the colour not as bright , google says lack of watering but I doubt it .
They are in a pot though (fine for that type of rose) but wondering if pot is now too small so it’s stunting it ?
Sorry .. I digressed there !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Some varieties of rose are more susceptible to Black Spot.

Roseclear should be applied every 4 weeks rather than just twice a year. Try it.

As for pots for roses then depth is more important than circumference as the roots go down rather than spread.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Sprayed mine regularly over the summer but still had a lot of blackspot. Now 1 of my patio roses has no leaves at all ut still plenty little roses.
A friend who is really keen on gardening says she no longer treats blackspot as you cant stop itcoming back.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
I get rust rather than black spot but have noticed a strange thing on my unaffected rose.
The flowers and leaves seem to be smaller now than they were and the colour not as bright , google says lack of watering but I doubt it .
They are in a pot though (fine for that type of rose) but wondering if pot is now too small so it’s stunting it ?
Sorry .. I digressed there !
Do you feed them regularly as soon as the first buds appear ? Especially important if they are in a too-small pot or in the same compost for more than a couple of years.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Do you feed them regularly as soon as the first buds appear ? Especially important if they are in a too-small pot or in the same compost for more than a couple of years.
I do feed them but only really when I remember if I’m honest .
Previous years they’ve been absolutely fine but this year I am getting lots of flowers but they’re smaller so maybe that’s what I’ve been doing wrong.
We are hoping to move into our new house end of next month so I’ll be replanting it ,maybe getting it in the ground will help a bit too?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

I can remember my mum spraying our roses with diluted washing up liquid. Seemed to do the trick.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Never get black spot or rust on my roses but this is my grandfathers preventative he was head Gardner at a well know royal home
A gallon of water 2 tablespoons of baking soda and he used a couple of desert spoons of grated carbolic soap but bleach free dish soap a couple of good squirts every couple of weeks also works for white and green fly
Must work my Albertine climbing rose ina huge tub over 50 years old has been amazing this year and still this evening you can smell it as it’s warm
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List