Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 20, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Genuine question, just because I’m intrigued - for those that it would bother, what is it that would upset you about a caravan/van, that doesn’t upset you about a regular car being parked there?

I totally get if it is close enough to block light, but what other difference would it make?

As I say, I’m not having a go, I’m just genuine intrigued as I can’t imagine it would bother me in the slightest, so I wouldn’t of even registered that it would offend someone else (I’m not planning on getting one by the way, but until this thread it would never of occurred to me to consider the neighbours if I did!)

ETA - sorry I missed Cherrypies response re ruining the aesthetics of the street frontage - but would a nice motor home do that as much as some rusty old banger on someone’s drive?
I think they are higher and bulkier tend To be lighter in colour - in all honesty I think it’s because living at home Our neighbours had one on their drive for 5 years plus that blocked our general vista - my mum mentioned at at least 3 times per day for 5 years and it just reminds me of that!

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think they’ve totally gone about it in the wrong way firstly.

However, if it’s blocking their light, or their view in anyway, I can totally understand their annoyance.

With regards to the fence, if that fence is your legal responsibility, then put it up if you want to. There’s literally nothing they can do or say about it. Same as with the plants, my neighbours would not be telling me what I could plant unless it caused an actual issue (property damage, light reduction etc)

My parents have a touring caravan, and have for many years. They have always kept it locked up on sites though. As someone has already said, nothing advertises your house being empty like a caravan suddenly being missing. It just isn’t as safe for your home. Plus it means my Dad can keep his car in the drive.

They now have it stored on the site they use all the time, it’s easier when it needs servicing, as it’s a local company, plus when they’re going the owner tows it out and puts it on the pitch ready for them to set up. Means my Dad doesn’t have to tow it there and back all the time, and no one knows when they are away
Old 17 Oct 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

It's just the size that blocks the view/light.

To the OP your view is of the back gardrn. Your neighbours view is of the front. You are not seeing the same thing because you use your homes differently. At least you are considering there concerns which is clearly more than some Dibbers would based on replies.

Have you checked your deeds like many have suggested?

Does the advert you are away on holiday not concern you?

If I sit in my new wfh office (previously kids play room) my view is my front garden, my neighbours drive and their garden and the longer drive into the cul de sac. So about 50m of trees and wildlife.

When their son visits with his van I can see only about 6 ft of my lawn and then his van. It blocks everything.

If it was there longer (permanently) I'd ask them to park elsewhere as it's in our deeds that it's not allowed. This a biggish van, much taller than a person. If it arrives today I'll post a picture.

I don't get the point about not allowing you to.plsnt a hedge. Again is it not allowed? Are your gardens open plan? Ours are so no fences or hedges as a border only shrubs and trees.

A photo might help?
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Our neighbours have a caravan. We live on a private shared drive with 4 houses on that drive. Our neighbours have a garage, which they dont park their car in- they wouldn't be able to anyway, they have space to side of garage which they have their caravan in and their 4 x 4 in front of garage which blocks our drive. So, everytime they want to move their caravan they need to ask us to move our cars to get the thing out. They always want to move it on a weekday at 8 when I'm trying to get ready for work.

It's been a pain and has caused arguments many times especially if hubby is doing something. A few weeks ago they had it serviced and hubby was told he would need to move his car as the mechanic needed a lot of space around the thing to service it.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We live in similar cul-de-sac on new build estate. Our neighbours have fell out with each other massively over this issue to the extent one has put up their house for sale. Neighbour one parked van so it was in sight of neighbour two when they were sitting at night and spoiled their view. Neighbour two said tough it is on my property. Lots of bad feeling and complaints later and neither speak to each other now and each has tried to get others in the cul-de-sac involved.

I have to be honest if something like that was in my view I would not like it.

Costs for gold star caravan storage with 24 hour security in North East from £400 per year so it really is not that expensive to store securely and avoid all the hassle.
Old 17 Oct 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I have been pondering this situation this morning. Our deeds state that a large van, caravan, motor home etc are not allowed to be parked.
But, does this mean they are not allowed in drives or also not allowed to be parked on the road in front of the property ?
If you pay road tax surely you can park in the road wherever you want within reason?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyNikki View Post
We have moved it as far away from them as possible. They will not have a fence, we tried that when we moved in because of DH van. It’s not a massive van. Plain / no signage Vauxhall vivaro.

We would just plant some conifers and they would see nothing but they will not have it.

Will think some more about storage. X
Personally I can see why they don’t like it and it appears that you have bought a house in a more “sedate” cul-de-sac, with older residents rather than young families. So your camper may be quite an anomaly IYKWIM.
However, your neighbours seem to want everything their way and really need to accept that if they dont make compromises then you can do exactly as you wish.
Neighbours can be difficult, ours are behaving in complete disregard of Covid restrictions but I know it would be a big row if anything was said do I just have to keep quiet.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Do what you want with your own garden. If you want a fence, build it. Stop the nosy people commenting on your home.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
Honestly I would - it’d just be on my mind all of the time - I think it ruins the aesthetics of the house/street frontage and if I could see it it’d crack me up. Probably not got enough to worry about in my life but I’d definitely look to move to get away from it.

That could apply to a lot of things though ..

One house further down from mins has windows that have peeling paint and rotted wood , look far worse than any caravan would but again it’s not anyone else’s business.

Or the house with a old battered car , or front garden that’s in neglect etc

For a year before my new neighbours moved in they owned they house but were based in Cyprus, the front garden was that overgrown my Labrador could have got lost in it .

But none of these issues actually affect how I live , or my life

I used to really like where I lived but now thanks to moaning neighbours and general miserable people it’s changed so much .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyNikki View Post
Very mixed response.

The estate I am on is around 45years old. No stipulation about caravans. Lots of cul de sacs on the estate and many have a caravan although we are the first in our cul de sac.

our neighbours rule the street. Just know they will be talking about us to everyone. We are one of the only houses where people still go to work so we are the entertainment.
Ah *those* neighbours
Smile at them, nod and don’t change a thing.
And if they are busy talking about you they can’t be bullying another more vulnerable neighbour . All your neighbours no doubt know what they are like.
They would have lost any chance of compromise with me at “What the hell”
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List