Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Aug 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

How to wash towels properly

Hi!

So I'm in the middle of buying my first home, going from one bathroom to three. When I first moved into my rented flat i was given towels, that was 8 years ago.

I've not spent a small fortune of alot of new towels (my husband nearly fainted at the cost haha). How should I wash them? I want them to stay nice and fresh.

Thanks
Old 27 Aug 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

60C wash and an easy drying with outside or tumble, a little comfort softener will help
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Now I've always just shoved them in and not even thought about it but I recently read you're not supposed to use fabric conditioner or softener. I'm still using uni towels but our bathroom has just been redone so I'll be getting some nice ones. Following this thread with interest!
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Don’t use softener, it’s interferes with absorbency,
I use a 60 wash and tumble as cannot stand hard towels
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I wash ours at 60. In addition to the washing powder (I use Surf liquitabs), I put in softener, unstoppables and a cap full of Zoflora. I put my towels in the tumble dryer too, even in summer as I like them to be fluffy.

My mum always said not to use softener with towels but I do and my towels stay nice. Buying new towels is one of my weaknesses. I’m quite late to the party but The White Company is my new favourite shop for thick fluffy towels.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have 15-20 year old cream egyptian cotton towels that are still going strong.

I put all my towels and tea towels etc in together, 40° wash, no fabric conditioner, white vinegar in the fabric conditioner drawer.
Old 27 Aug 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trouble3 View Post
I have 15-20 year old cream egyptian cotton towels that are still going strong.

I put all my towels and tea towels etc in together, 40° wash, no fabric conditioner, white vinegar in the fabric conditioner drawer.
I've heard white vinegar helps them not smell.
Old 27 Aug 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I'm another that washes at 40. I tumble dry some and line dry some. Me and DS like hard towels.

Never had an issue with towels smelling or not being fresh.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Fresh air dry
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I only use white bathroom and bedroom linen. Towels are washed at 90c in Daz powder with some Ace bleach - sometimes I tumble others not as rough towels are supposed to be better for skin circulation . No longer use fabric conditioner on anything and find towels absorb a lot more moisture that way
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List