Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Sep 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Late charge on credit card

I have an M&S credit charge which I £150 spent on. I knew I was getting a refund (£51) from a cancelled hotel which was more than the minimum payment. This got paid to the credit card before the next statement date. I’ve just logged in to see that I’ve been charged a late fee 🤬. Is this correct? They’ve still received a payment to the credit card, not by me, but by the hotel. Should I phone and contest it, or is there no point? Concerned that I now have a late payment on my very good credit rating. So frustrating
Thanks for advice
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MillieMoo23 View Post
I have an M&S credit charge which I £150 spent on. I knew I was getting a refund (£51) from a cancelled hotel which was more than the minimum payment. This got paid to the credit card before the next statement date. I’ve just logged in to see that I’ve been charged a late fee 🤬. Is this correct? They’ve still received a payment to the credit card, not by me, but by the hotel. Should I phone and contest it, or is there no point? Concerned that I now have a late payment on my very good credit rating. So frustrating
Thanks for advice
If you had accidentally paid late after always paying in full, I would suggest ringing as they would look at your account and seeing it was unusual, probably write off the charge. However a credit from a merchant is seperate to a payment and I would think it would be much harder to get them to cancel it.
You could try especially as the balance is so low but one late payment charge isn't going to ruin your credit anyway.
Old 2 Sep 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Should I phone and contest it, or is there no point? Concerned that I now have a late payment on my very good credit rating.
I don't know tbh.
However, if it was me I would definitely contact M&S Bank on their FB.
They will give you a direct number to ring so you can speak to somebody that might sort it for you.

Again, if it was me, even though I was expecting a refund to my M&S card, I would still make a (minimum at least) payment to cover the usual.

M&S Bank are very good usually once you actually make it through to a real person.

Good luck.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

That's annoying for you but I've accidently forgotten to pay before and have rang them up (only a day or so after it was due) and they agreed not to charge me. Definitely worth ringing them.
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Thanks for the quick replies. I’ll call them in the morning. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Thanks for the quick replies. I’ll call them in the morning. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Try 0800 363 459.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

0345 900 0900
Old 2 Sep 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Exactly the same thing happened to me once on my M&S card for the same reason as you. I’m sure when I checked out the small print it was within the terms that a payment must be made, it’s really annoying. I never gave my credit rating a second thought but never had any problems getting any finance I applied for since that happened.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Some cards don’t class a refund as a payment so you’d still need to make the minimum payment. I’d just call and make the payment over the phone, I’m sure a one off late payment wouldn’t affect your credit rating.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Similar happened to me with my Debenhams card. I rang up and they kindly removed both the charge and interest due. I had never missed before. I set it up for full monthly direct debit payment afterwards.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List