Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Oct 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
BA Avios - what do you use them for?

So we have 90,000 odd BA avois in our household account there are 3 of us and don't really know what to use them for (we are confined to school holidays so doubt I will ever find flights).

What does everyone else use theirs for?
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

I've only recently started collecting them so new to it myself... I've come across seatspy.com which shows you dates and availability for reward flights. Not sure what availability is like normally but its looking quite good at the moment throughout August. I guess the earlier you're able to book, the better.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
I've only recently started collecting them so new to it myself... I've come across seatspy.com which shows you dates and availability for reward flights. Not sure what availability is like normally but its looking quite good at the moment throughout August. I guess the earlier you're able to book, the better.
thanks very much will take a look!
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post

I only use Avios points for business or first class flights. Well once I accidentally ordered a case of wine when I was checking out the process because a dibber mentioned they were having trouble ordering wine.

We make a very concerted effort to collect the points, have the Avios amex card, Tesco club points are converted to Avios points, use the shopping portal for online shopping etc.

The amex card also generates companion vouchers so we generally get two business / first seats whilst only using the avios points required for one seat. It is 125,000 points for an off peak flight and 150,000 for a peak flight which school holidays are bound to be.

Availability showing at the moment is definitely not typical. However I have been searching for flights for years, I always do the “full year search” and have seen availability in school holidays. I think you would have a reasonable chance of getting economy flights in school holidays so long as you are quick when they are released.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Always for business/first flights
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I only use Avios points for business or first class flights. Well once I accidentally ordered a case of wine when I was checking out the process because a dibber mentioned they were having trouble ordering wine.

We make a very concerted effort to collect the points, have the Avios amex card, Tesco club points are converted to Avios points, use the shopping portal for online shopping etc.

The amex card also generates companion vouchers so we generally get two business / first seats whilst only using the avios points required for one seat. It is 125,000 points for an off peak flight and 150,000 for a peak flight which school holidays are bound to be.

Availability showing at the moment is definitely not typical. However I have been searching for flights for years, I always do the “full year search” and have seen availability in school holidays. I think you would have a reasonable chance of getting economy flights in school holidays so long as you are quick when they are released.
Yup, we pretty much match Claudette with getting and spending. Those who are in the know, not me, claim buisness and first tickets are the best value per avios.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Always Business or First Class flights.

We have the BA Amex cards which gets us 2-4-1 companion vouchers too.

We have been tied to school holidays for 20 years but still manage to find Avios flights. We wait her book early upon release of fly into alternate airports if necessary.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Agree with those above. Use them along with my companion voucher from Amex to book Club World flights each year.
As a teacher I am stuck with school holidays but have managed to get companion flights each summer on day of release.
Old 4 Oct 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have used them for money off flights, never have enough for an upgrade lol. Have also used them for hotel bookings.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Although I’m mainly a Virgin Miles collector/user, I did use some Avios for car hire when I couldn’t envisage using them for flights.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List