Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Sounds amazing! I'd love to do it, but I think my husband and kids might miss me if I was gone for a year
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Great report and so pleased you liked Disney Cruises, they're amazing right? We've done 22 and not bored with them yet! You could always apply to work on the ship - 4-6 months on, 2 months off, flights either way paid and because you have your food and lodgings included, you can save loads. We had a friend who started in youth activities, then moved to port adventures and in one year, he saved £10k.

If you choose the Magic or the Wonder, you get to visit some amazing places during the year. The Dream and Fantasy just repeat Bahamas and Caribbean so the M and W are definitely better for sightseeing!
I wouldn't choose F&B on the ships though as although it's a tipped position, it's constant with little down time. Merch is apparently quite good and if you have a language or three, guest services is an option.

Do it!

For anyone who is interested in the CRP though, your post is excellent.
Good luck with whatever you do!

Joa
Old 21 Sep 18, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like you had an amazing year

Joan
Old 21 Sep 18, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

The information your gave it great but all that is on my mind now is how can US employers pay waiting staff so little and expect them to make the money on Tips. I think its a disgrace and a minimum wage should be a living wage regardless of tips. This is a but like the airlines who publish cheap prices but then expect you to pay for the carry on bag, they know you will as most people do and tipping is the same.
Fortunately its against the law in this country and hopefully that will not change. I want to tip someone when the service is good or excellent and not just because its expected.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I'm amazed at the amount of stuff you did on such poor salary.

You should post this in the trip planning thread to show people just how far you can travel on an £9 an hour job if you put your mind to it and take advantage of the opportunities.

Old 21 Sep 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
One of my twin daughters has often joked that she fit's the criteria for a Disney Princess (height, eye colour, hair etc).
I've just showed her this post and she is starting to do her homework. She currently works in her sisters restaurant, so has the food and beverage experience.

Y'all take care
Nick
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 114
Mobile

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
I'm amazed at the amount of stuff you did on such poor salary.

You should post this in the trip planning thread to show people just how far you can travel on an £9 an hour job if you put your mind to it and take advantage of the opportunities.
It’s the tips that make it worth it. Mentality is different in the states regarding tipping. The rose and crown is different as being British we just appreciate a tip rather than expect it because it’s the done thing. But if you give good service and chat with your guests and get to know them on a personal level. It goes a long way. I’d heard of people make a fair bit of money on the program but I never realized it would be as much as it was. Americans can tip well, like, really well! My last ever table on the program tipped me more than their bill came to and then some. It’s crazy but it happens. I’ve been tipped very well by brits too, but because I did more than just “serve”

Restaurants here are different. People don’t just go out to eat they want an experience. It’s exactly the same as the restaurant I’m working at now.

WDW - 96, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 17
DLP - 98, 01, 02, 10 DLR - 11, 12, 14, 18 15
Las Vegas - 11, 12, 13x2, 14, 18x2
WDW Cast Member 17 - 18 14 U.S. States & Counting!
sweetemotion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Wow, that sounds amazing. Our son really wants to do this, but will have to wait a few years as he's only 15. I'm going to show him your post to get him even more excited about it!

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
scots minnie
Apprentice Imagineer

scots minnie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Thank you for sharing. Wow what an adventure you have had I will definitely encourage our kids to do this. Wishing you all the best for the future xx
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

thanks for sharing - wishing I was 20 years younger lol
Feb 2011 All Stars Resort, Aug 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH, Aug 2018 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2019 Wilderness Lodge HRH & Contemporary, Feb 2020 Grand Floridian, Aug 2021 Disney Dream, Dec 21 Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge, Feb 22 Port Orleans Riverside, July 22 Port Orleans French Quarter, Feb 23 Staybright Suites Offsite (never again )
bigshaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List