Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Sep 21, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
Now I’m embarrassed! I didn’t know any of this so I could have been that person. Just curious but where would we learn about these things? I suppose if I had a flat, I would call out my breakdown company. They might change the tyre and say “Get off at the next exit and don’t do this or that”. Otherwise, I’ve never thought about it. I think I do have a space saver wheel but I wouldn’t know how to change it.
many people wll be exactly the same as you so don't be embarrassed

the owners hand book for the car wll have some information about running a car on a temporary space saver spare

that is from a ford focus owners manual and it contains warnings but does not say that you must leave the motorway at the next exit or you will be flamed on the dibb
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by force ten View Post
Not being argumentative, but which lane is the slow lane on a motorway?
The left lane. Sometimes called lane 1.

Yes, yes, I know that officially there's no "slow lane" on a motorway. But given that the other lanes are used to overtake those in the left-most lane then it means the vehicles in the other lanes must be going faster than those in the left lane. Meaning the slowest traffic will be in the left lane. So the left lane is the "slow lane".

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
But given that the other lanes are used to overtake those in the left-most lane then it means the vehicles in the other lanes must be going faster than those in the left lane. Meaning the slowest traffic will be in the left lane. So the left lane is the "slow lane".
unless it is very busy and you have three lanes of very slow moving traffic and as you approach an exit the people in the slow lane are exiting the motorway so at this point the people in the slow lane could be going a lot faster than the people in the fast lane

l think l understand now
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
unless it is very busy and you have three lanes of very slow moving traffic and as you approach an exit the people in the slow lane are exiting the motorway so at this point the people in the slow lane could be going a lot faster than the people in the fast lane
I suppose that is possible if the left hand lane is a slip lane, although in my experience the traffic getting off at an exit are usually the slower ones. Technically those in the left hand lane are not supposed to undertake those in the other lanes, not here in the UK anyway.

For the vast majority of the time, the middle and right hand lanes are supposed to only be used to overtake those in the left hand lane. Therefore generally the left hand lane tends to have the slowest traffic.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I suppose that is possible if the left hand lane is a slip lane, although in my experience the traffic getting off at an exit are usually the slower ones. Technically those in the left hand lane are not supposed to undertake those in the other lanes, not here in the UK anyway.

For the vast majority of the time, the middle and right hand lanes are supposed to only be used to overtake those in the left hand lane. Therefore generally the left hand lane tends to have the slowest traffic.
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
Old 1 Oct 21, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
Fair enough.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’m hoping to settle an argument with DH!

So, on a dual carriageway, coming up to a roundabout, inside lane has an arrow (left or straight on), outer lane arrow says straight on (or right). The lines on the roundabout show two lanes turning left (marked). Can both lanes turn left, or can only the left line turn left? Outside lane can only go straight on? What happens if person in outer lane turns left and the person in left lane goes straight ahead? The road to the left has two lanes.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
This sadly doesn’t surprise me! Also the amount of people broken down on the motorway who don’t have a warning triangle or have one but put it right behind their cars making it pointless, is astronomical! So much so that I actually gasp when I see some one has put it in the right place!
Highway Code rule 276 states that you must never use a warning triangle on motorways.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
I’m hoping to settle an argument with DH!

So, on a dual carriageway, coming up to a roundabout, inside lane has an arrow (left or straight on), outer lane arrow says straight on (or right). The lines on the roundabout show two lanes turning left (marked). Can both lanes turn left, or can only the left line turn left? Outside lane can only go straight on? What happens if person in outer lane turns left and the person in left lane goes straight ahead? The road to the left has two lanes.
highwaycodeuk/roundabouts

if the road markings show left turn in the left hand lane only then that is the lane you should be in to turn left

Signals and position.
When taking the first exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
highwaycodeuk/roundabouts

if the road markings show left turn in the left hand lane only then that is the lane you should be in to turn left
So the markings in the left lane say left and straight on. The markings in the right lane say straight on. The issue is the first exit off the roundabout has two lanes. We drive this road every time we go to see DD and he thinks he can turn left from the outer lane, because it’s two lanes turning left. I then say, what if I’m in the left lane going straight on, and someone in outer lane is turning left, into outer lane exiting the roundabout. Honestly, you’ve no idea the grief
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List