Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Nov 21, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'm fortunate I've never lived in a place where loud fireworks were an issue. I always kept my dogs and cats in on firework night but it does seem when I was last in the UK fireworks are no longer seasonal as in November ,5th. As a child it was firework night and possibly a village display on the nearest Saturday now it's November Xmas new year weddings etc.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Tilly is petrified of fireworks (and thunder) she shakes so violently we worry she is going to collapse. She has a thunder jacket but it doesn’t make any difference. Mason also hates fireworks, he holds his ears and cries because they hurt his ears. So we have the TV blasting, Tilly shaking and Mason crying! This weekend is going to be awful 😣
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I always wonder how the dogs that live near Disney manage? I suppose they just get used to it. My grandparents had to have a dog put down during the war because the sound of the air aid sirens drove him demented. They then got a "born in the war" dog who happily lived through the blitz.

This is similar to how I feel . While I feel terribly for those whose pets and family members struggle with it , and I’m no psychologist , I do think part of the problem is that actually it’s a surprise when it happens . If fireworks were regular all year round , they would become more familiar with them . Equally rather than locking them away , I think showing them what it is that’s making the noise may help too. Obviously the problem is that some are very loud and you can never predict the exact moment they go off , but familiarisation / understanding of them would should help some animals / people .

Fireworks without noise is like football without crowds.
I don’t get the point of bangers , but other fireworks I think are ok . Think they should be limited to over 25s to purchase though.

I understand I am in the minority here
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Tilly is petrified of fireworks (and thunder) she shakes so violently we worry she is going to collapse. She has a thunder jacket but it doesn’t make any difference. Mason also hates fireworks, he holds his ears and cries because they hurt his ears. So we have the TV blasting, Tilly shaking and Mason crying! This weekend is going to be awful 😣
I feel your pain, our weekend is going to be awful too. We want to go shopping today but have to be back by 5pm at the latest before they start. If it was just the 5th nov and that weekend we could cope but we had loud explosions yesterday from 6pm till about midnight and a then at at 2 and 3 in the early hours. Tv blasting and music playing loud, I made her a snood out of socks, she has a thunder jacket and nothing works. I can’t believe she weed on my bed, she never does that.
Old 5 Nov 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I feel your pain, our weekend is going to be awful too. We want to go shopping today but have to be back by 5pm at the latest before they start. If it was just the 5th nov and that weekend we could cope but we had loud explosions yesterday from 6pm till about midnight and a then at at 2 and 3 in the early hours. Tv blasting and music playing loud, I made her a snood out of socks, she has a thunder jacket and nothing works. I can’t believe she weed on my bed, she never does that.
Its been comparatively quiet here compared to most years but I know two local schools have displays tonight. I don't have pets to worry about though. Not that our dogs were ever bothered to be fair. They just hated being left out so used to come in garden with us (on leads).
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Its been comparatively quiet here compared to most years but I know two local schools have displays tonight. I don't have pets to worry about though. Not that our dogs were ever bothered to be fair. They just hated being left out so used to come in garden with us (on leads).
This goes on till 31st Dec on and off, I play fireworks sounds on Alexa really loud and she’s fine as soon as they start for real she goes mad.
Old 5 Nov 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

We no longer have pets although fireworks never bothered them in the slightest.

Vet on TV just now mentioned that it can be helpful to not 'coddle' pets, make a fuss or change routines when fireworks are on as you may be giving them the message that there's something happening to worry about.

Easier with new/younger pets, I'm guessing; older pets may already have this as default behaviour when they pick up on your actions.

Edited at 12:40 PM.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I'm fortunate I've never lived in a place where loud fireworks were an issue. I always kept my dogs and cats in on firework night but it does seem when I was last in the UK fireworks are no longer seasonal as in November ,5th. As a child it was firework night and possibly a village display on the nearest Saturday now it's November Xmas new year weddings etc.
Are you in Spain Tinkerbell? My sister lives near Barcelona and complains a lot of fireworks for every single Saints day! You must be somewhere more peaceful 😊
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
We no longer have pets although fireworks never bothered them in the slightest.

Vet on TV just now mentioned that it can be helpful to not 'coddle' pets, make a fuss or change routines when fireworks are on as you may be giving them the message that there's something happening to worry about.

Easier with new/younger pets, I'm guessing; older pets may already have this as default behaviour when they pick up on your actions.
I think like with humans they are all different. Our previous two dogs (Westie,cocker) weren’t bothered by fireworks but Cherry is extremely distressed. She’s a rescue though who for the first 3 years of her life suffered terrible abuse. I don’t feel I can just leave her to it bless her, my coddling seems to help a little.
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Ban ban ban I worked at displays though the years first one queens silver jubilee. I was asked because I knew the man that did in home safety. I did quite a few though the years never had fireworks in garden.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List