Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 12 Dec 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Spielberg’s West Side Story

Went to see West Side Story yesterday at the cinema - very impressed. I LOVED it. Highly recommended.

We went at 4.30 on a Saturday and there were only about 6 other people in there.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

We’re going to see this Tuesday, really looking forward to it. Love the stage show and excited to see Spielberg’s version

We’ve picked early afternoon showing, hoping it’s not full (only our seats sold so far). Our Vue cinema has huge spaces between the rows so it doesn’t feel too crowded.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

We are hoping to see this Xmas Eve, followed by a meal at our local Italian restaurant.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

How does it compare to the original film? Is it still a musical? I know nothing about this, its passed me by totally!
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Still a musical - compares very well to the old one …except everyone is actually singing!
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Wow, it's on my bucket list after listening to 2 songs on the Elaine Paige! Was in two minds as I love the original film but heard Tonight and it was beautiful.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
jolou
slightly serious Dibber

Clearly Spielberg is a big fan of the 1961 version. That is one of my top 5 films of all time and i cry literally every time i see it! I’m sure I will really enjoy the new one but can’t imagine anyone topping Russ Tamblyn or Rita Moreno in the original or it matching the incredible choreography. But I will go in with an open mind and thoroughly enjoy it in it’s own right!
jolou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I am so excited for this. I was supposed to be going tonight but couldn’t so I now have FOMO 😆
Might try and see it next week

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I didn't even know there was going to be a new version made until my brother messaged about it last week. We were brought up on musicals and are going to see it with mum next week. I love the original so I hope this is good.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 21, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jolou View Post
Clearly Spielberg is a big fan of the 1961 version. That is one of my top 5 films of all time and i cry literally every time i see it! I’m sure I will really enjoy the new one but can’t imagine anyone topping Russ Tamblyn or Rita Moreno in the original or it matching the incredible choreography. But I will go in with an open mind and thoroughly enjoy it in it’s own right!
Rita Moreno in this one as well!

Definitely made me cry …