Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Jan 22, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Firstxmastrip View Post
honestly, thanks so much for all your replies, they have made me feel so much better about it. I guess all we can do is try and hope they like it. Im thinking maybe do a weekend away before just to check neither of them are massively bothered but by the sounds of it most cats tend to be ok with a bit of sulking on return lol.

thanks again
After years of using catteries, there was one time when the whole “I would never do that to my cat” got to me and we decided to do it differently. We decided the cats would stay put (they had access to outside via cat flap) and we arranged for the neighbours teenage daughter to cat sit. Well we never saw one of the cats again and never found out what happened. He just packed his bags and left. After that we decided to stick with catteries, at least we know where they are and that they are safe.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We used to put our 4 into a cattery but if was so stressful for them and us, they knew what was coming as soon as they saw the boxes and would hide and we would have to fight them into the boxes! Then they would sulk when they got home and my sensitive girl would have litter tray accidents. We now pay my sister to do it! She is a single mum so the money is helpful for her and my 11 year old niece does the litter trays and I give her some cash too and it works pretty well.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
After years of using catteries, there was one time when the whole “I would never do that to my cat” got to me and we decided to do it differently. We decided the cats would stay put (they had access to outside via cat flap) and we arranged for the neighbours teenage daughter to cat sit. Well we never saw one of the cats again and never found out what happened. He just packed his bags and left. After that we decided to stick with catteries, at least we know where they are and that they are safe.
oh no i dont think the kids would ever forgive me if any of them went missing! thats so sad sorry to hear that, although they probably found a house nearby with nice food and set up camp hopefully. My aunts cat did that and the neighbour moved and took the cat with her even though my aunt had asked them not to feed it or let it stay anymore.
Firstxmastrip is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Firstxmastrip View Post
oh no i dont think the kids would ever forgive me if any of them went missing! thats so sad sorry to hear that, although they probably found a house nearby with nice food and set up camp hopefully. My aunts cat did that and the neighbour moved and took the cat with her even though my aunt had asked them not to feed it or let it stay anymore.
OP we’ve got two cats and though we’ve used catteries in the past for other cats I’m not sure I’d use them for these 2, but not sure what alternative I’d go with either! Not much help there am I? my main reason for posting was to say, if you decide to go with the cattery option make sure their vaccinations are up to date, ours are due and when I rang the vets to book them in they have a waiting list because the vaccines are in short supply! I’m wondering if it’s because all the vials etc are being used for Covid jabs?
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by lovestoplan View Post
If we are away for a day or two by mum and dad will come in and feed our cats. They have a cat flap so come and go as they please. We always use a cattery for longer stays though as it gives you peace of mind. You know they are safe and not gone missing and you won't get any horrible calls to say there's been an accident 😢. We always send our babies with a blanket that smells of us and some of their supper treats. This year when we go away we will have 2 cats that haven't been in a cattery before but they will be fine and will have each other. In the past our cats have come back, gone outside to check on everything, ate and then snoozed on the beds for hours, pleased to be home!
Same here. For me, the worry of them being at home ‘alone’ is outweighed by the safety of them being at the cattery. We always used a cattery which was run by a friend and since she sold it, one which she recommended.

I hate leaving them and as we are often now away for extended periods, it’s horrible. I sometimes wonder though if leaving them at home with a family member or sitter calling in is worse for them though as they could feel distressed that we aren’t around? I try to console myself that the three of them were rescue cats with unhappy backstories and they have a lovely life with us and we make sure they are safe and comfortable whilst away.

Like lovestoplan, we send a blanket from home and their treats.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

I used to have someone pop in to my house twice per day, but even that wasn’t enough, so now I have someone come and live here while we are away. I have 4 cats and they are used to us being here 24/7 as we both wfh…. I think they would be distraught in a cattery.
My husband’s old Persian went to cattery once and was so stressed he got a urinary tract infection.. I just think where possible they are happier in their own environment.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

We also have a house cat. He went to the cattery once at 12 months old and was good as gold when he came back...very affectionate, didn't put a put a foot wrong- I think he was worried that we'd send him back!

The staff said he was very vocal and cried quite a bit and wasn't eating very well. The cattery and the girls that run it are lovely so I think it was just down to his individual temperament.

Fortunately, my Mum and Dad have moved closer now so are able to come and stay and cat sit when we go away
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List