Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Jan 22, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Gas v induction hob

As the title says, what do you have/prefer?
We've always had a gas hob, apart from when we first got married many moons ago lol, but we're considering going to induction. I do remember burning food on the electric hob but I think I'd get used to using it if we went induction.
What are the pros and cons?
Thank you.
Old 4 Jan 22, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

We went for induction.

All the advantages of gas but none of the drawbacks.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
We went for induction.

All the advantages of gas but none of the drawbacks.
Does it heat up as quick as gas? I imagine it's easier to clean?
Thank you
Old 4 Jan 22, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d go induction for no other reason than I hate cleaning my gas top range. Never want gas again.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Yes, induction definitely heats up (and cools down) as quickly as gas. It is highly responsive.

Ive had gas forever, and a few years back when we got a new kitchen I went for induction. I was nervous about it at first, but it has been fantastic, and I doubt I would ever go back to gas.

The only possible downside, is if you do a lot of wok cooking, as the sides of the wok don't heat up as much as on a gas flame. It would be possible to heat a good steel wok if you took it slowly and allowed the sides of the wok to get hot.

The pros for an induction cooktop are the ease of cleaning, aesthetics, ease of use, safety, and it is much more comfortable to cook on induction in warmer weather as there is no radiant heat. Also, you don't have rising heat spreading grease all over your kitchen!

Copper and aluminium pots and pans won't work on induction. But any pot that you can stick a magnet to will work fine.
Old 5 Jan 22, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

My mom has induction job and it is responsive. If I didn't rent with no had the hob I have would be switched to induction.

The big plus to gas is that you can still use it in a power cut!
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I am going to replace my gas hob with an induction but I'm having one gas ring.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 01:13 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We switched to induction a few years ago. I love it. We are moving shortly and inheriting a fancy gas range. I’m quite disappointed as I’d prefer induction but it will be expensive to replace the range.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Love my induction. Wouldn’t go back. Just test base surface of your pans with a fridge magnet to check they all attract and you’ll be fine. We only had to replace one frying pan when we made the switch to induction. It’s so clean and I love the smooth counter top. Especially love the pause button if someone knocks door/phone goes. Brilliant.
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I have always had gas but we were seriously considering an induction hob until we had 3 power cuts in the last few months of 2021. I realised how important it was to us to have an alternative means of cooking and heating water.😟

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List