Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 18 Jan 22, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Much as we loved WDW, after having been a loyal guest for over 30 years, I think this may be our last visit this year. Too many price increases, (we are heading for Pop Century this year, at the same price as we stayed in Caribbean Beach resort in 2019), and all the added extras such as resort parking, Genie+, no dining plan so no free refillable mug, etc, have just whittled away the magic for us. DH has been diagnosed with a serious but slow-moving illness recently, so we are going to spend the next 4 or 5 years exploring other parts of the world while he is still able to travel. We aren't going there this year with a "last visit ever" attitude, but are just looking to spend our hard-earned cash elsewhere in future. I'm giving up our Owner's Locker storage box this year, too, we'll bring the contents home. The other consideration is that I'm only a few years away from retirement now, after which money will become a bit tighter, so we need to start thinking about that. In a way, all the financial changes to WDW make our decision to quit a lot easier - if it was still magical and wonderful, it would be a lot harder to leave.
Old 18 Jan 22, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Much as we loved WDW, after having been a loyal guest for over 30 years, I think this may be our last visit this year. Too many price increases, (we are heading for Pop Century this year, at the same price as we stayed in Caribbean Beach resort in 2019), and all the added extras such as resort parking, Genie+, no dining plan so no free refillable mug, etc, have just whittled away the magic for us. DH has been diagnosed with a serious but slow-moving illness recently, so we are going to spend the next 4 or 5 years exploring other parts of the world while he is still able to travel. We aren't going there this year with a "last visit ever" attitude, but are just looking to spend our hard-earned cash elsewhere in future. I'm giving up our Owner's Locker storage box this year, too, we'll bring the contents home. The other consideration is that I'm only a few years away from retirement now, after which money will become a bit tighter, so we need to start thinking about that. In a way, all the financial changes to WDW make our decision to quit a lot easier - if it was still magical and wonderful, it would be a lot harder to leave.
I saw Pete Warner yesterday on the DVC show saying he just booked a room at Pop and it was $215 a night, plus tax plus parking. If you have a car, it’s basically $250 a night. I don’t keep an eye on these prices, so was quite shocked. Wow, glad I bought DVC, I can get over 2 nights in Beach Club in dues cost for $250. He says in 20 years of running his travel agency he has never seen room price inflation like it is now.

Edited at 11:55 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by moosha View Post
Yes but surely eventually they’re going to run out of first timers who can afford to go with Disney’s increasing prices.
I don't think they will. Not any time soon, any way.

Disney's prices have been increasing for years. People have been complaining about being priced out of Disney since I started here on the DIBB over 10 years ago. So although some visitors will decide not the return again, the number of visitors always seems to increase - there were more visitors in 2019 than in 2010 even though the cost to visit in 2019 would've been much more than in 2010. Thus there must be more first timers choosing to go on their 'once-in-a-lifetime' trip (which may end up being the first visit of many) than those old timers no longer visiting.

Also, the vast majority of people who have been before will continue to visit again. These changes won't put them off. Sure, there will be a few thousand vocal people who might choose not to visit again (and some of those who say they won't visit again do still end up going again). But WDW used to get around 50 million visitors a year - a loss of a few thousand won't make much difference. They could lose 100,000 visitors a year for the next 10 years and still have 49 million visitors in 2032 each paying twice what they did in 2022.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:56 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I don't think they will. Not any time soon, any way.

Disney's prices have been increasing for years. People have been complaining about being priced out of Disney since I started here on the DIBB over 10 years ago. So although some visitors will decide not the return again, the number of visitors always seems to increase - there were more visitors in 2019 than in 2010 even though the cost to visit in 2019 would've been much more than in 2010. Thus there must be more first timers choosing to go on their 'once-in-a-lifetime' trip (which may end up being the first visit of many) than those old timers no longer visiting.

Also, the vast majority of people who have been before will continue to visit again. These changes won't put them off. Sure, there will be a few thousand vocal people who might choose not to visit again (and some of those who say they won't visit again do still end up going again). But WDW used to get around 50 million visitors a year - a loss of a few thousand won't make much difference. They could lose 100,000 visitors a year for the next 10 years and still have 49 million visitors in 2032 each paying twice what they did in 2022.
I really hope you’re wrong. I know these fan sites are a bubble & don’t reflect the average guest, but I do think it’s telling that right now on tripadvisor every third or fourth review is negative. Pre pandemic it was every tenth or so. Surely if a significant proportion of people leave Disney unhappy this will start to impact the bottom line and Disney will fix it? I really, really hope so…
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyFoodie View Post
I really hope you’re wrong. I know these fan sites are a bubble & don’t reflect the average guest, but I do think it’s telling that right now on tripadvisor every third or fourth review is negative. Pre pandemic it was every tenth or so. Surely if a significant proportion of people leave Disney unhappy this will start to impact the bottom line and Disney will fix it? I really, really hope so…
I’d like to think you’re right as I’d so love the quality and standards we’ve loved to return.

However, newcomers won’t know any difference and there is enough still there for may of them to fall in love with the dream for repeat trips.

You also can’t underestimate the nostalgia of the place for those who have grown up with it, or have taken their own families. Whilst I am disillusioned right now, if health and finances allow (and a minor detail of my children giving me grandchildren!), I won’t consider selling my DVC timeshare, as I would still want to show Disney to my future generation.

There is a lot of mileage for Disney yet and sadly I feel like they can do pretty much what they want price wise, just out of reach for many keeps it somewhere to aspire to visit and save for - that’s the dream they have always been selling.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi. This may be something that has been answered but I cannot see it - if you have Genie+ and want to visit MK during the day and Epcot in the evening, can you book both Genie+ rides for the different parks? Or do you have to use one then book another? Thanks
Old 30 Jan 22, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

someone mentioned WDW reviews on tripadvisor so I thought I would check it out.

tripadvisor/Attrac...o_Florida.html

The amount of new bad reviews is amazing and at this rate they will move down to 4 stars.
I thought I filtered my search to 1 Stars by accident. Nope it is that bad.

Edited at 09:34 AM.
AliceCooper9 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AliceCooper9 View Post
someone mentioned WDW reviews on tripadvisor so I thought I would check it out.

tripadvisor/Attrac...o_Florida.html

The amount of new bad reviews is amazing and at this rate they will move down to 4 stars.
I thought I filtered my search to 1 Stars by accident. Nope it is that bad.
Just read then - so upsetting 😢 they are literally ruining it 😢
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Just read then - so upsetting 😢 they are literally ruining it 😢
But I hope this is good news? Maybe it’s not just us Disney nutters who aren’t enjoying this and it will force change?
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

I just read some of these reviews .

We first went in1988 and have been fortunate to go around 40 times since.
We went because it was magical,
It was great value for money, because you didnt need to pay out to keep the kids entertained for 2 weeks, so pound for pound it worked out around the same as a trip to Spain with excursions everyday.we could do 2 weeks with flights tickets food and a car for around £600 pp
Disney was all about the magic, remember year of a million dreams ? Where you could be randomly given a pair of mickey ears, fastpasses for the whole family, an ice cream ,or even a nights stay in Cinderella castle.

Bit by bit this magic has been ebbing away and 3 trips ago ( 10 years ago) I said it was going to be my last. I'd loved every trip but sadly something was missing.

My best friend wanted to go for her 60th birthday 7 years ago and asked would we go with them , we said yes and we had a great time , I'm so glad we went as 2 years later she died.

By this time our granddaughter was born so 4 years ago we took her. Again it was magical , we got an upgrade to a 1 bed apartment in old key west, the little one was given a sully teddy, a light up wand , Peter pan held her hand and walked her to his ride ,chatting away. We had the free dining plan and did character meals. We were certainly making this last trip one to treasure.

Couldnt resist booking one more trip with her in sept 2020. ( covid would be all over by Sept) DH wasnt coming, he had had enough, so it was just me DD and DG
Cancelled, reebooked, cancelled, rebooked... we are going in May

The more I hear, the more I dont want to go. I think they have totally lost the plot. If it wasnt for the fact we would have a very disappointed 8 year old, then we would be cancelling.

I know it's going to be different this time and we have made the decision to not pay for genie+ . We may however pay to do FOP ROTR and Ratatouille if we have to.
I'm just glad we booked a split stay with universal studios.
I'm really hoping it's not as bad as things are being made out to be , but if they are , we will make the most of it by enjoying the parks for the other bits other than rides.
No matter what though, this Is the only visit I've not really wanted to go, so it's our last 😥

Edited at 10:47 AM.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List